Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Why M&F peaked so young
« Last post by Dystopian on February 11, 2018, 11:27:49 PM »
I mean when more than half of the people who take Knight Offers are spies, its a problem.
General Discussion / Re: Why M&F peaked so young
« Last post by Ayruin on February 11, 2018, 11:04:00 PM »
As you can see I don't generally post here, or on any forums given their predilection to simply be cesspools of insults. However if we are talking why the game struggles to attract players I can share my experience so far. I joined the game through a knight offer, my liege says little to me but sets me up with some of his scrub land estates and tells me to go and claim some of the better slumbering estates nearby, which I do before being told by others in the realm that I have claimed too many, despite not even hitting the settlement restriction for two characters on a free account. My liege then decides he had enough and quits. Next thing anyone says to me is that I am supposed to give up all my land to some other character because I didn't realize that with my liege leaving I was supposed to organize an oath to someone else in the hierarchy. Least when I point out that I had no idea they relented and tell me to travel to their settlement to give an oath which I do. However I was not active in this supposedly casual game for 6 days and receive this

by redacted on 16-44-6 (February 6, 2018 21:09)   Lord redacted I certainly would like to trust you, but the situation at current has become quite volatile due to attacks by redacted and my ill advised advances towards Lord redacted. If the redacted move because you are here watching my movements I will have no choice but to question your loyalty. You have not responded in quite a while and sound quite similar both to Sir redacted and Sir redacted before you. Please respond and join us in arms! May the Gods back our cause.
Lord redacted of redacted

If that is at all indicative of the state of the game in other realms no wonder you have a problem. Quite possibly there is a good historical reason for people to be so paranoid, but quite plainly if you can't move past it, you have next to no chance of being able to grow your numbers. My experience in a second realm is only slightly better, my direct liege there at least talks, but the rest of the realm is actively hostile or dismissive of anyone that isn't part of the top hierarchy.

General Discussion / Re: A discussion the importance of lore upon gameplay
« Last post by De-Legro on February 08, 2018, 10:15:52 PM »
So why not let people create their own culture packs? I am really not thrilled to see real world cultures in a fantasy game.

I feel the same, I get they could be a point of reference, but since all they do is provide names at this time a point of reference is not that useful. Besides you might want to use a certain naming system but not be tied to the cultural references. That is why I suggested custom cultural packs.

Really it all comes down to a single decision, is this a sandbox that is as open ended as possible, or is it a curated sandbox.
« Last post by Constantine on February 08, 2018, 02:41:51 PM »
So why not let people create their own culture packs? I am really not thrilled to see real world cultures in a fantasy game.
Bug Reports / Test server errors/bugs go here
« Last post by RimmaDrish on February 06, 2018, 03:17:01 PM »
Report any bugs you find for the current version here.
Please include as much detail as possible so we can recreate the conditions where this problem occurred.
« Last post by De-Legro on February 06, 2018, 10:55:25 AM »
They are strange, just as people's insurance on the weapons being European is strange. They are a familiar point of reference. We could have used the exact same images and had a background that was very different to Europe, much like many D&D settings do for example.

The reason for custom culture packs is simple, it is a sandbox, and a sand box that the only shows part of the world. The fact that "every fool and their dog" is creating their own lores and background should suggest to you that people are enjoying the creative freedom they currently have to do so. I am all for some simple guidelines to help rationalise and keep things sort of consistent. I am not so keen on hard rules, I recall the disaster in BM when it was decided to try and enforce European cultural concepts there and the number of players lost.
« Last post by The Vintroth on February 06, 2018, 10:15:28 AM »
As for settings, we have purchasable culture packs that are not European. I should note that Tom always mentioned that culture packs were going to be more then names, but never really nailed down what that "more" was. Personally I would like custom culture packs, so I can create my own naming system for my mortal slaves.
The culture packs never made much sense in my eyes. Since they actually do list things as European or other things. For not being on Earth it is a bit of a strange thing to do. I'm not in favour of 'custom' ones as I am in favour of 'established cultures'. I don't see why we need every fool and their dog having a custom pack, y'know.

The images are because there was only ever a small budget for graphics that was never going to stretch to multiple versions for different "cultures". Plus there was a lot of talk at the start of the game about how exactly the game would handle multiple graphic packs that was never completely resolved because we got side tracked about adding "custom" weapons and troop types.
All the same, the standard is European. That is what we have and that is what people will perceive the game as generally speaking.

As for Lore, one thing I would love to see established is the original inhabitants of this small part of the world. As I recall EI and Rathgar were supposed to be "native". The ruling family of the Fading Isles was, but most of the actual realms within it were made up of immigrants. Hawks for example were originally shipwrecked. Personally it irks me to see yet another "native and long term" realm spring up in the same region that has already had a procession of "native" realms. It was a stretch to have three native cultures given the size of the map to start with.
The lacking lore is the very cause of almost everyone being an immigrant, and the disregard of historic realms and culture.
« Last post by De-Legro on February 06, 2018, 03:24:28 AM »
As for settings, we have purchasable culture packs that are not European. I should note that Tom always mentioned that culture packs were going to be more then names, but never really nailed down what that "more" was. Personally I would like custom culture packs, so I can create my own naming system for my mortal slaves.

The images are because there was only ever a small budget for graphics that was never going to stretch to multiple versions for different "cultures". Plus there was a lot of talk at the start of the game about how exactly the game would handle multiple graphic packs that was never completely resolved because we got side tracked about adding "custom" weapons and troop types.

As for Lore, one thing I would love to see established is the original inhabitants of this small part of the world. As I recall EI and Rathgar were supposed to be "native". The ruling family of the Fading Isles was, but most of the actual realms within it were made up of immigrants. Hawks for example were originally shipwrecked. Personally it irks me to see yet another "native and long term" realm spring up in the same region that has already had a procession of "native" realms. It was a stretch to have three native cultures given the size of the map to start with.
« Last post by The Vintroth on February 05, 2018, 10:22:24 PM »
When I say the game isn't a medieval simulator, what I'm saying is that it's not simulating medieval life on earth. If it was, you'd be looking at a map of Europe, rather than whatever it is we call the continent. If we make it a medieval simulator, we lose a LOT of the liberties on how things operate or work, and I'll probably stop developing it because I don't have the time to research how much food a medieval baker can produce.
Fair enough, but then we mean two different things entirely.

The mortals in game aren't human. At least not so much as we are. The game doesn't even explicitly state that the mortals, or first ones, even look like exactly like humans, just that they are "not unlike". The closest you get is these:

"So the gods went about creating a new creature much more similar to themselves then all the others ones. The First Ones. A race not unlike man, but stronger, smarter and not subject to aging."

"First Ones look much like mortal men at first glance, but you can spot very fast that they are not the same. No disease or illness can touch them, save one. As such, they never need healers or herbs, and they can recover from wounds that would strike every mortal down for sure. Their teeth and skin are perfect, their hair is fair and their eyes are awake and shining, deep as a clear lake on a summer day."

Personally, I'd love to go a little less low-fantasy and add other races into the game. People seem to be against this idea, for some reason though. You could, for what it's worth, argue that we're all playing Tolkien-esque elves, and that this is where the Elves from early BattleMaster originally came from. :P
Right. You can argue that but really, unless stated otherwise; most will just assume human. So if we now decide that all First Ones are little green men, we should probably state it clearly :P

And yeah, most of the art and images do reflect European standards, though I think that's more so we have something to look at that's standardized more than anything. A few people are aware of the debates I've had about weapon effectiveness and how it could be altered. I'd love to break away from this purely European thing though, and am toying with the concept of making culture packs more than just name lists, but there are many things that don't have similar conventions across geographic areas.
What is wrong with being purely European? - It is a very small piece of land we live on in M&F anyways. Should technology and culture really vary so much?

My goal is to make M&F a good game, one that's interesting, not necessarily historically accurate. If there's an area that can be fixed or improved upon in such a way that makes sense and adds to the gameplay, I'm more than willing to try it, but I try to avoid major changes without serious consideration as to what the consequences might be.
A sentiment that I generally agree with, but again, what is really wrong with specific context and setting to bind characters? Of course, it would be a big step and one that should be considered carefully, but being strict with lore is not necessarily a bad thing (not that you said it were).

"A new player should, before placing a character down, be able to get an idea of what a realm is like, what opporunities there are there, and know a little about where they are going." --Me, my previous post.
Whoops.

« Last post by Andrew on February 05, 2018, 10:07:19 PM »
When I say the game isn't a medieval simulator, what I'm saying is that it's not simulating medieval life on earth. If it was, you'd be looking at a map of Europe, rather than whatever it is we call the continent. If we make it a medieval simulator, we lose a LOT of the liberties on how things operate or work, and I'll probably stop developing it because I don't have the time to research how much food a medieval baker can produce.

The mortals in game aren't human. At least not so much as we are. The game doesn't even explicitly state that the mortals, or first ones, even look like exactly like humans, just that they are "not unlike". The closest you get is these:

"So the gods went about creating a new creature much more similar to themselves then all the others ones. The First Ones. A race not unlike man, but stronger, smarter and not subject to aging."

"First Ones look much like mortal men at first glance, but you can spot very fast that they are not the same. No disease or illness can touch them, save one. As such, they never need healers or herbs, and they can recover from wounds that would strike every mortal down for sure. Their teeth and skin are perfect, their hair is fair and their eyes are awake and shining, deep as a clear lake on a summer day."

Personally, I'd love to go a little less low-fantasy and add other races into the game. People seem to be against this idea, for some reason though. You could, for what it's worth, argue that we're all playing Tolkien-esque elves, and that this is where the Elves from early BattleMaster originally came from. :P

And yeah, most of the art and images do reflect European standards, though I think that's more so we have something to look at that's standardized more than anything. A few people are aware of the debates I've had about weapon effectiveness and how it could be altered. I'd love to break away from this purely European thing though, and am toying with the concept of making culture packs more than just name lists, but there are many things that don't have similar conventions across geographic areas.

My goal is to make M&F a good game, one that's interesting, not necessarily historically accurate. If there's an area that can be fixed or improved upon in such a way that makes sense and adds to the gameplay, I'm more than willing to try it, but I try to avoid major changes without serious consideration as to what the consequences might be.

Sure. Though I still think that they should have to read about realms *before* they spawn in anywhere and preferably before they even make the character. If they knew of the major cultures of the game, they could make an Ascalonian and spawn somewhere else but still have an idea of what an Ascalonian should perhaps be like to some extent.

"A new player should, before placing a character down, be able to get an idea of what a realm is like, what opporunities there are there, and know a little about where they are going." --Me, my previous post.

Sure, why not. Seems like a sensible thing. Perhaps the liege can choose what his knights will be a part of?

Ideally, it'll be part of the revamped knight offer system.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10