Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
General Discussion / Re: Soldier Experience
« Last post by De-Legro on July 29, 2017, 12:15:12 AM »
Thought about that after I posted too. But I guess I was thinking that you might still want to try to draw people into the battle.

They can always pick a side and join if that is.what they wish though, and it eliminates whining about mistakes any algorithm makes.
« Last post by silvershot on July 28, 2017, 10:35:14 PM »
No the solution is easy, you don't allow new battles to be created with X yards of an existing one. Then you.don't need logic to combine battles that are close.

Thought about that after I posted too. But I guess I was thinking that you might still want to try to draw people into the battle.
« Last post by De-Legro on July 28, 2017, 05:57:17 PM »
If this is paired with combining all nearby battles, people who can log in two times a day will be able to be competitive. They won't have to play that "log in every hour" game to maneuvre with the opponent into a more beneficial set of battles.

If that is the game you want, BM already exists. We aren't trying to replicate two turns a day and provence level interaction. If we want to go that route we should remove hour travel ticks and return to movement only 1 per in game day like it was to start with, and do away with the fancy map that allows for such freedom of movement. If I can attack anything in a provence why have any movement that doesn't result in arrival at the settlement?

It's not like the BM model doesn't suffer from its own issues, like how the realm with the most players active just before and after a turn generally having a massive advantage.
« Last post by Constantine on July 28, 2017, 05:36:55 PM »
How does that help?
If this is paired with combining all nearby battles, people who can log in two times a day will be able to be competitive. They won't have to play that "log in every hour" game to maneuvre with the opponent into a more beneficial set of battles.
« Last post by De-Legro on July 28, 2017, 05:22:44 PM »
For that reason I suggested to increase interaction range considerably. So there would be no need to babysit your troops. Right now those who can micromanage multiple party movement 24/7 always win. If you could interact with everything in the province once you entered it, we'd see a much more laid-back game.

How does that help? One bigger interaction zones make block area more effective? Second your opponent can still engage you once you are in range before you can join the battle if they are more active/happen to be online at the right time.

The best way they could do that is if it were 100 well equipped and skilled soldiers, probably cavalry, versus a messy rabble. But that would probably be over in far less time than 7 hours, anyway.

Edit: It'd be nice if there was an easy way to combine nearby battles, but sometimes not even realm is appropriate.

No the solution is easy, you don't allow new battles to be created with X yards of an existing one. Then you.don't need logic to combine battles that are close.
« Last post by silvershot on July 28, 2017, 02:54:49 PM »
And if you are doing in enmass to prevent people from joining a pitched battle some 300 yards away? Yes there are times that it would make sense. Given current mechanics there are plenty of times where it won't. 100 men can tie down 400 or more for 7 hours, regardless of the terrian or other factors.

The best way they could do that is if it were 100 well equipped and skilled soldiers, probably cavalry, versus a messy rabble. But that would probably be over in far less time than 7 hours, anyway.

Edit: It'd be nice if there was an easy way to combine nearby battles, but sometimes not even realm is appropriate.
« Last post by Constantine on July 28, 2017, 02:54:09 PM »
For that reason I suggested to increase interaction range considerably. So there would be no need to babysit your troops. Right now those who can micromanage multiple party movement 24/7 always win. If you could interact with everything in the province once you entered it, we'd see a much more laid-back game.
« Last post by De-Legro on July 28, 2017, 02:37:10 PM »
If you're using a full company to cover army's retreat and instruct soldiers to disengage early, that actually sounds like a valid tactic though.

And if you are doing in enmass to prevent people from joining a pitched battle some 300 yards away? Yes there are times that it would make sense. Given current mechanics there are plenty of times where it won't. 100 men can tie down 400 or more for 7 hours, regardless of the terrian or other factors.
« Last post by Constantine on July 28, 2017, 01:09:16 PM »
If you're using a full company to cover army's retreat and instruct soldiers to disengage early, that actually sounds like a valid tactic though.
« Last post by De-Legro on July 28, 2017, 12:50:47 PM »
That problem would be solved if battle preparation time somehow correlated with not only army size but also army size difference. If you're engaging an army twenty times larger than your own, we can lower preparation time to 5 minutes without any gameplay issues.

It already does that, has done for a long time. The original change was due to behaviour during a Rathgar war. I believe abou 20 minutes is as short as I have seen it but it may have been adjusted since then. This was back when people would use nobles with a single solider to tie down armies.

During the EI war a loophole was fixed where you could attack with a tiny force, get the small battle timer and then transfer troops to that character without increasing the timer.

But that doesn't actually address the issue I raised, since it is not necessary to use a much smaller force if you intend to have your force pull back quickly.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]