Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Developing Might & Fealty / Re: Third slot overhaul
« Last post by De-Legro on June 20, 2017, 02:29:11 AM »
Do we really need to overcomplicate though? I don't think we need half a dozen bow types, each with distinctive stats. Two types would be more than enough: a very strong bow that can't be used on horseback and a weaker versatile bow. Doesn't matter if they have D&D names or not.

Why? Why can we not have powerful bows on horse back?
« Last post by Constantine on June 20, 2017, 02:12:20 AM »
Do we really need to overcomplicate though? I don't think we need half a dozen bow types, each with distinctive stats. Two types would be more than enough: a very strong bow that can't be used on horseback and a weaker versatile bow. Doesn't matter if they have D&D names or not.
« Last post by De-Legro on June 19, 2017, 11:56:55 PM »

My apologies, I think I just misunderstood you. Yes, I agree. But I didn't expect that sort of change anyway; more just modifying the effectiveness of a longbow + horse to simulate any of the following:

1) It's a long bow specifically designed for use on Horseback (like Japan) where it loses draw power
2) It's a european longbow style, which is just damn hard to use on horseback (though not technically impossible, just not all that useful)
3) They act as dragoons; so they don't really get as much of a defensive benefit versus a short bow who can stay mounted, or cavalry who can stay mounted. In the current system, I imagine that's like reducing the defensive bonus. With the proposed changes that may factor in range, they could just get into range sooner -- maybe not a good use of horses, because they're more likely to be lost and don't provide much of a defense boost for the longbowmen, who are going to be the first to get into range anyway. I wasn't expecting ACTUAL mechanics for mounting and dismounting... That'd be super difficult to implement. Just something loosely abstracting it.

Appropriately weakening mounted longbowmen really could fit into abstracting any of these cases. I'd definitely like to see mounted longbowmen generally inferior than most other options, but maybe someone will find a place for them.

I hope that clarifies my view, and I'm sorry for misunderstanding you.

Hmm I have previously spent hours and days trying to find any comparison of draw strength for Japanese longbows vs English, so far as I can work out no real evidence exists to support either side of the argument, and runs into various topics like just how important is draw strength, what type of arrow is being used, velocity vs impulse etc. It would seem the question of comparisons of range and killing/penetration power is really an unknown.

If I was to consider implementing your list, I would also want to add things like recursive vows and compound bows so that you have a far more effective "short bow" option. Then again we need to rename short bow anyway since it is a D&D designation that has little correlation to real world weapons.
« Last post by silvershot on June 19, 2017, 06:41:35 PM »
I never spoke of removing existing horse archers, whom are in the vein of Mongol and Turk horse archers. I argued against creating a system within the the combat engine for dismounting of infantry or archers within the field of battle.

My apologies, I think I just misunderstood you. Yes, I agree. But I didn't expect that sort of change anyway; more just modifying the effectiveness of a longbow + horse to simulate any of the following:

1) It's a long bow specifically designed for use on Horseback (like Japan) where it loses draw power
2) It's a european longbow style, which is just damn hard to use on horseback (though not technically impossible, just not all that useful)
3) They act as dragoons; so they don't really get as much of a defensive benefit versus a short bow who can stay mounted, or cavalry who can stay mounted. In the current system, I imagine that's like reducing the defensive bonus. With the proposed changes that may factor in range, they could just get into range sooner -- maybe not a good use of horses, because they're more likely to be lost and don't provide much of a defense boost for the longbowmen, who are going to be the first to get into range anyway. I wasn't expecting ACTUAL mechanics for mounting and dismounting... That'd be super difficult to implement. Just something loosely abstracting it.

Appropriately weakening mounted longbowmen really could fit into abstracting any of these cases. I'd definitely like to see mounted longbowmen generally inferior than most other options, but maybe someone will find a place for them.

I hope that clarifies my view, and I'm sorry for misunderstanding you.
Helpline / Re: Regarding Subscriptions.
« Last post by Andrew on June 19, 2017, 02:58:20 PM »
Send me your evidence, I'll look into it.

A method to properly ban people is the next thing on my todo list after I figure out why the testing server's map isn't generating properly.

I've got a few pretty good ideas, for what it's worth.
« Last post by De-Legro on June 19, 2017, 02:07:14 PM »
Some of my characters are fleeing a takeover by a player using multiple accounts. I have proof of the multi-ing, but of course I can't be sure whether any or all of the accounts are paid-for. What's the etiquette for a situation like this? Can I report the matter to @Andrew and ask him to investigate? Or is the game database swept for free-account multi-ing regularly, so all players' accounts would be reviewed sooner or later anyway?

How in heavens name does anyone that can't review database data have "proof"
Helpline / Re: Can't Share Coat of Arms with Spouse Character on 2nd Paid Account
« Last post by Andrew on June 19, 2017, 11:00:10 AM »
Not yet possible on the current server. Will be possible after the server move.

I've only got one thing left to do before I let Tom know I'm good to go on my end, and that's making sure the map server functions.
Andrew said in his To-Do List that this is now possbile, but I can't find options on the spouse's heraldry page to do it.
« Last post by New Player 123 on June 19, 2017, 07:28:04 AM »
Some of my characters are fleeing a takeover by a player using multiple accounts. I have proof of the multi-ing, but of course I can't be sure whether any or all of the accounts are paid-for. What's the etiquette for a situation like this? Can I report the matter to @Andrew and ask him to investigate? Or is the game database swept for free-account multi-ing regularly, so all players' accounts would be reviewed sooner or later anyway?
« Last post by De-Legro on June 19, 2017, 12:27:51 AM »
Why? Even Pre-Marian Rome had mounted infantry. Mounted infantry has existed since the beginning of warfare, before dragoons were formed.

Whom just as I mentioned rode to battle, but did not as dragoons do remount during battle for tactical purposes. Hell the Roman infantry you refer to didn't even ride the horse, they clung to the saddle of cavalry units.

I am all for equipment that speeds marching timrs of non cab units, I argue against specific changes to the battle engine to simulate rapid redeployment of said forces during the battle.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10