Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Stories to tell / Re: The Greenwardens
« Last post by willy on June 25, 2017, 03:08:48 PM »
I've also come up with some in-game plans. Estates that demonstrate things fairly well (village, town, capital), and some watchtowers with enough blindspots to play a game of hide-and-seek. I can tell them about the overtly complicated tribute system the Wardens pay out.

I'm also going to try a more RP heavy Greenwarden in Molk. I'm not sure if I've mentioned the Molk Town Melee, but slumberblighted-old-man Greymane demands blood. It's about as quirky, but I'm going in an entirely different direction with how to keep knights.
General Discussion / Re: Wanted: Your Top Ten Changes
« Last post by willy on June 23, 2017, 10:19:05 AM »
I had an idea about troop training. Why not a building, that modified militia? Is it feasible to have a "practice field" where your veteran troops (humans with experience) can train your newbies for you? Say, 1 veteran at 50 xp can give 5 or 6 fresh recruits 1 xp a week (or month, whatever balances. Probably cap max training xp, too). Suddenly those human veterans aren't just expensive fodder, but start to flesh out as individuals. It could even modify production in an estate, and be a proper burden to stack too heavy.

It's a bit of a twist on the drill grounds idea above, I suppose.
Bug Reports / Bug: Hostname in Notification Service Email Links is 'localhost'
« Last post by silvershot on June 22, 2017, 06:06:53 PM »
URL where error occured: Email sent from Game (Gmail Webapp)
Criticality:Low, Annoyance
What is the Bug? The host name when sending links via email/M&F Notification Service is 'localhost', e.g. http://localhost/en/character/view/9732
How to Reproduce: Turn notification services on and receive an email.
Additional Comments: Should be a relatively easy fix, even if not especially important. It's definitely a nice to have in some circumstances

Stories to tell / Re: The Greenwardens
« Last post by willy on June 22, 2017, 05:05:07 PM »
So I've worked grammar and spelling some. Fleshed out odd bits that were suggested. I'll post a foreward I did, something kind of orienting new players for 'wat do'...rather than 'how do'.

Foreward

So you have taken the prerogative of a First One, the rightful command of humans. A worthy deed in itself, but there is much to it that you will need to know. Your first step, swearing to a liege, should be complete (if you've taken a knight offer). Finding a position in a power structure (a realm) is vital to survival and finding out about your surroundings. There are those who strike off on their own, but such a task is risky.

Now what to do? A liege may have tasks for you. They are your go-to for questions, problems, and concerns. What you intend to do will require different things, some of which your liege may provide...some you may have to find on your own. You'll find realm chatter, which varies from quantity to quality, tyrannies to paragons of freedom of expression.

Were you able to find help to decide what to do next? Good, do that...and figure out what might be best for the long term. No? Greenwardens typically offer mentoring, you may find others nearby in similar situations, or this might be a chance to come up with your own goals. Big events can take time, sometimes, First One's living life at different paces.

So now you have a goal. Be it grow and prosper as lord of an estate(s), or serve as a warrior knight commanding troops in glorious battle for your liege. You'll need to know how best to do these things effectively. So here is the Mad Keeper's Primer, the first entry in a helpful collection of observations by mentor Greenwardens. Presenting, the Steward (or Marshal's) Handbook.

A bit bare-bones like the handbook drafts, but that is the essential keypoints. I'll flesh it out some, maybe incubate a few more ideas before I post it... then I'll run some knight offers and see if it helps retention. Maybe it goes full blown academic journal-ish if other authors/armchairexperts get interested.
Helpline / Re: Regarding Subscriptions.
« Last post by New Player 123 on June 20, 2017, 08:15:38 AM »
Send me your evidence, I'll look into it.

Done. Thanks in advance.
Developing Might & Fealty / Re: Third slot overhaul
« Last post by silvershot on June 20, 2017, 07:07:29 AM »
Hmm I have previously spent hours and days trying to find any comparison of draw strength for Japanese longbows vs English, so far as I can work out no real evidence exists to support either side of the argument, and runs into various topics like just how important is draw strength, what type of arrow is being used, velocity vs impulse etc. It would seem the question of comparisons of range and killing/penetration power is really an unknown.

If I was to consider implementing your list, I would also want to add things like recursive vows and compound bows so that you have a far more effective "short bow" option. Then again we need to rename short bow anyway since it is a D&D designation that has little correlation to real world weapons.

Excellent point... I don't know enough about the Japanese bows, other than some conjecture that they've slightly less penetration power. I'll try to see if there's any merit for it. (Could just be justification for tradeoffs between mounting and foot, or in reality I'm just curious now).
« Last post by De-Legro on June 20, 2017, 05:37:34 AM »
Why not just go with the recurve bow then and skip the composite bow if almost all composites were also recuverves?

And I don't think adding different crossbow sizes will do much. Beyond maybe a ballista that could either be some kind of construction that you can build several off once that is implemented, and which can then be used by archers. Or maybe a weapon that makes the user a permanent militia unit which can't be mobilised maybe. What you can add however would be the repeating crossbow, that might be worthwhile.

At the moment size doesn't matter, but if/when factors like range and fire rate are added it well might. Also light crossbows can be armed using arm strength alone, and thus are suitable for use on horse back, while heavy crossbows are not.
« Last post by Andre on June 20, 2017, 03:20:40 AM »
Why not just go with the recurve bow then and skip the composite bow if almost all composites were also recuverves?

And I don't think adding different crossbow sizes will do much. Beyond maybe a ballista that could either be some kind of construction that you can build several off once that is implemented, and which can then be used by archers. Or maybe a weapon that makes the user a permanent militia unit which can't be mobilised maybe. What you can add however would be the repeating crossbow, that might be worthwhile.
« Last post by De-Legro on June 20, 2017, 02:42:46 AM »
Well if we go by what De-Legro said then we would only have four bow types, with one being the crossbow. Longbow, Compound Bow, Recurve Bow and Crossbow. Though I don't think compound bows would really fit though right? Seems more logical to have Longbows, Recurve bows and Crossbows.

I probably mean composite bows not compound bows. My list currently is

Self Bow
Long self bow (or just longbow)
recurve bow
composite bow (my understanding is almost all composite bows are recurve bows, but not all recurve bows where composite)

Also wondering if there is any benefit to having multiple sized crossbows.
« Last post by Andre on June 20, 2017, 02:31:50 AM »
Well if we go by what De-Legro said then we would only have four bow types, with one being the crossbow. Longbow, Compound Bow, Recurve Bow and Crossbow. Though I don't think compound bows would really fit though right? Seems more logical to have Longbows, Recurve bows and Crossbows.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10