Author Topic: First Challenge of 2018: The World in Words  (Read 216 times)

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
First Challenge of 2018: The World in Words
« on: May 03, 2018, 11:41:09 PM »
Alright everybody, I'm here to challenge you all to use that fancy new description system we have on all those places you've only been able to describe in roleplays before this--that's right, I want you to describe those settlements!

This will be purely determined by which descriptions I like best, but I will reward 500 credits to whomever does the best "Single Estate Description", 300 credits to the runner up, and 200 credits to the third best.

I am also toying with a categories based on realm-wide consistency/cohesiveness. Consider that a hint.

This challenge will end on May 18th @ 23:59 game time.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
Re: First Challenge of 2018: The World in Words
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 06:11:19 AM »
So, I've been pretty busy lately, but I sat down today and reviewed all 28 settlements that had descriptions (27 subtracting my own), and have reached the following conclusions.

Starting with the Honorable Mentions....

Shortest Description goes to Arescod (id: 2410) with a description of:
The ancient City of Arescod is the Capital of Ascalon.

Longest Description goes to Sudenbourg (id: 889), with a description of:

"The fortress-town of Sudenbourg, originally called Vis Requis, has been ruled by the Marquess Alphonse ""*the Fish*"" Peisson since 15-29-6. It serves as the capital town of the surrounding region; both of the Baronie von Niedertiefland and the March of Randland.

Many of the inhabitants of Sudenbourg suffer a harsh existence; rough men bred from a rough life. Industry is functional, though a lack of resources significantly reduces productivity, while encouraging ingenuity. Weaving, hunting, leather-working and scavenging remain strong industries for Sudenbourg. What metals are scavenged are used to maintain a small, though respectable, blacksmithing industry, while the limited supplies severely hamper any serious endeavors by the local armorers.

Outside the gates, a large population of poorer folk and laborers form a ramshackle slum, lightly protected by mud, clay, wood and flagstone entrenchments. Farmers grow what they can in one of the last fertile locations at the border of the Western Confederation's wastelands. Many of the remaining laborers tend to the small forestry industry, while many more find themselves in the salvage pit, breaking rocks and broken equipment into a trickle of usable metals.

The walls of Sudenbourg are visibly less impressive than the wealthier parts of the world. While predominantly cut stone, clay and flagstone are used in layers. Wooden 'spikes' protrude from the walls in places to deter siege equipment, while many of the battlements are also of wood construction. Burgundy banners holding the crests of Randland, Niedertiefland and the Marquess himself hang over the gates and from the wooden towers dotting the walls.

Inside the walls, things are much better. While still not wealthy by any means, broad streets and well constructed buildings of flagstone, wood and clay crowd most parts of the city. Several minor markets across the different quarters absorb much of the hustle and bustle, while a surprisingly pleasant city plaza keeps the governmental and religious buildings close.

Beyond the plaza, a smaller, though better constructed, wall separates Sudenbourg's keep and major military buildings from the rest. Hardy militia men are constantly training and shuffling around the city."

Agricultural Mention goes to Syrupleaf (id: 2038), with a description of:

Due to poor soil type in the area surrounding Syrupleaf, traditional farming is unproductive and crop choice is limited. However, this hasn't stopped the people of Syrupleaf from taking efforts to establish communal gardens for a special vegetable called "sweet beet." Concentrated use of watering and fertilizing (primarily using horse manure from Otramold) in these communal gardens leads to small plots of relatively productive soil used to grow the sweet beet.

While edible, the beet itself is bitter and unappetizing, but the crop is primarily cultivated for the sugary taste of the oil obtained from grounded up sweet beet leaves. As such, the largest building in Syrupleaf is the local windmill, devoted entirely to the grinding of these leaves.

With those out of my way, my top three picks are....

#3: Otramold (2037)...

Otramold is nothing more than a quiet, quaint, lazy village on the Steelhold countryside. Nothing about Otramold particularly stands out, but the people here seem friendly enough and there are always a few people in the local tavern up for a game or two of cards if you catch them between or after shifts.

Aside from all this, it seems the populace utilize the inactive military riding ground as a space to gather for horse shows and one can see many small stables scattered around the village.

#2: Mizhpole (2920)...

Mizhpole is a bustling and ever-so lively town. In taverns, inns, and bars people can often be heard singing or seen dancing. Other than that, it has a distinct look, almost made to look older and to replicate - with a twist - the old buildings of Ravenmark. It simply has a more rustic feeling. Shops and business are flourishing and the walls are in near-perfect condition. The men who roam the streets as the guard have a usually look, they're either on horses with light armor or on the ground with a mix of heavier armors, many of them have recurved or strong bows. Many men are also armed with a mix of halberds, maces, and sabers, almost all of them have shields just in case.

Yet in the center is a large stone castle, a rather intimidating one at that. It seems to be a mix of Ascalonian and old Ravenmark architecture, if not more accustomed for archers though. Its keep is just as impressive, it is adorned with the banners of the Halyckyj family and the colors of Malenzhia.

And, lastly, my #1 pick has to be Morgwen (307), for reasons you'll hopefully understand:

You enter the village of Morgwen, found amidst the sprawling meadows of central Tyvia. A palisade surrounds a handful of buildings, proudly displaying the yellow-black Moselberg banners. Above a wooden gate, a kettle-hat appears and a wrinkled member of the local militia points a crossbow towards you.

"State yer business, trav'ler."

The old man's raspy voice does not surprise you. What does is the other kettle-helmets popping up around the palisade. It seems like the village, despite its desolate location, has been heavily militarised by its new overlord.

I'll be distributing credits later this weekend once I've gotten some proper rest. I've learned not to play with game-changing commands without making sure I'm in the right mindset for it.

If anyone has an idea for another contest or challenge like this, please let me know.

TL/DR: Threatening the "trav'ler"s gets you credits, it would seem.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)