Author Topic: Artifacts - Dead creator  (Read 2143 times)

WVH

• View Profile
Artifacts - Dead creator
« on: January 24, 2018, 03:23:19 PM »
As I understand it, if the owner of an artifact dies, the artifact will return to its creator.  What if the creator is dead?  Where will the artifact go?

If the answer is "its lost", then will the player's account be able to create / recreate the artifact?... why?

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
Re: Artifacts - Dead creator
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 03:38:57 PM »
Artifacts go to who a player gives them first. As it stands, unless they are explicitly killed by a first one, the artifact returns to the creating user right now on the holder's death. Tom didn't finish implementing the logic to tie them to the map, but it's on the TODO list.

It's not something that will come with the next update, but the next update will shine some light on how one would go about this. I'd also need to figure out mechanics for these things actually being found by someone else.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

WVH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 08:34:02 PM »
As it stands, unless they are explicitly killed by a first one, the artifact returns to the creating user right now on the holder's death.

Just to make sure I understand, the "user" is the player account and not the orig. creator of the item as it is listed in a characters history?

The creating character is dead and the item holder is blighted.  My other character wants the item...so has to go and capture the blighted character.  Before I allow that to happen, I want to make sure that accidentally killing the character in the battle that has to take place to capture her, will not force the artifact to be lost because the game can not find its creator.

So if user means my account, cool! If you intended to say creator... not as cool.

Demivar

• Purveyor of cunning plans.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 08:39:53 PM »
Just to make sure I understand, the "user" is the player account and not the orig. creator of the item as it is listed in a characters history?

The creating character is dead and the item holder is blighted.  My other character wants the item...so has to go and capture the blighted character.  Before I allow that to happen, I want to make sure that accidentally killing the character in the battle that has to take place to capture her, will not force the artifact to be lost because the game can not find its creator.

So if user means my account, cool! If you intended to say creator... not as cool.
It returns to the account.
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Radovid's like you
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: but then insane
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Dijkstra is like you

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 09:50:55 PM »
Can only talk for my artifact, but it has no listed "creating" character. The first mention of any character is the character it was first assigned to.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 12:29:51 PM »

Characters do not create artifacts. Users do. Users then choose to place the artifact with one of their characters. For now, unless the game is certain that someone could take it (via kill or execution), artifacts return to the user on holder death. This will eventually change, but no idea when.
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

WVH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 02:56:40 PM »
Awesome.  Thanks everyone

Ehndras

• Urist Tarzath, Emperor of the Children of Armok
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 08:43:57 PM »
How do we re-assign a "lost" artifact? I can't find the "Tear of Armok" after I killed off Urist Tarzath, Emperor of the Children of Armor :(
Mors Principium Est - Death is only the beginning

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 10:56:35 PM »
The same way you assigned it originally, through your user account menus: http://mightandfealty.com/en/artifacts/owned