Author Topic: Burn ships!  (Read 791 times)

Constantine

• View Profile
Burn ships!
« on: December 08, 2017, 01:08:47 PM »
An option to burn down ships, please. And steal other people's ships. Maybe some sort of possibility of maritime battles or coastal defences. Heck, make rivers sailable. I want more options and interaction within the theme of sea raids in general.

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
Re: Burn ships!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 01:18:35 PM »
This wouldn't be hard to do or implement, as far as stealing and burning ships.

Making rivers navigable would be.... tricky, due to how the game handles the land/sea logic, and how it handles you coming ashore. I'd like to do this, and I think it's sorta on my TODO list already, but it's nowhere near as easy.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 02:03:25 AM »
Yes let me burn ships. As a Island nation I can then force anyone that dares land on my island to remain their forever or die. Or you know I could just camp the ships and use block area to achieve the same thing.

The question is, what would the down side to burning ships be? Without some sort of consequence it would be a very one-sides option, particularly as I noted for islands.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 02:08:25 AM by De-Legro »
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Constantine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 02:16:16 PM »
Being an island realm is already a somewhat one-sided option, you know. Don't see anyone complaining. When you're raiding an island, you're already fucked if they manage to block the boats. Attacking mainland settlements leaves you a lot of room for manoeuvre. If your boats are blocked you can continue damaging the victim and then just leave by land eventually. If you're worried about unfair advantages, my suggestion does not create any but perhaps helps mitigate some.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 02:36:27 PM by Constantine »

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 09:42:41 PM »
Being an island realm is already a somewhat one-sided option, you know. Don't see anyone complaining. When you're raiding an island, you're already fucked if they manage to block the boats. Attacking mainland settlements leaves you a lot of room for manoeuvre. If your boats are blocked you can continue damaging the victim and then just leave by land eventually. If you're worried about unfair advantages, my suggestion does not create any but perhaps helps mitigate some.

Firstly lots of people complain, the "invincible" nature of the islands combined with the abundance of fishing settlements is the number 1 gripe I hear. That said if it is already one-sided, why would we want to introduce options that increases that advantage?
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Cipheron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 11:37:57 AM »
This wouldn't be hard to do or implement, as far as stealing and burning ships.

Making rivers navigable would be.... tricky, due to how the game handles the land/sea logic, and how it handles you coming ashore. I'd like to do this, and I think it's sorta on my TODO list already, but it's nowhere near as easy.

A quick fix for the river thing would be to treat travel near a river the same as travel by road, e.g. you get a speed boost by following the course of a river but still aren't able to cross it unless it's at a bridge. This would allow effectively the same benefits as trying to work in a river-travel system but without the coding headaches, and having to place docks on rivers.

An alternate solution would be to edit the map, and make major rivers wider and just treat them the same as ocean spaces, and allow docks on adjoining provinces. That way, the code shouldn't need to be touched, the map would just need editing.

Also, there are lakes in the game which you can't cross. It would be nice if docks were allowed there, so sea travel could short-cut settlements on each side, would that just be a matter of editing some database settings for the adjoining settlements?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 12:52:50 PM by Cipheron »

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 02:24:26 PM »
I did some look into allowing lake travel a long while back, and allowing docks on lakes would be nearly a two line change to the game's code.

Allowing boats on rivers, on the other hand, would be.... comparatively intensive. I'd prefer not to make them just thin strips of a new biome, because I'd likely have to rework how bridges work. There are a few things I'd like to do that would involve larger, strategy affecting constructions, but that's a bit down the line. I mention them because they involve me figuring out how to better work with PostGIS functions and ensuring the game interprets user inputs correctly. PostGIS, for what it's worth, is what the game uses to interface is with it's GIS mapping data. There are some functions in PostGIS that let you do some pretty cool things, but getting them in a user-editable state will be... a process.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)