Poll

What would you be willing to pay to have another Artifact?

150 credits
0 (0%)
200 credits
0 (0%)
250 credits
0 (0%)
400 credits
0 (0%)
500 credits
0 (0%)
50 credits
0 (0%)
300 credits
1 (16.7%)
100 credits
2 (33.3%)
Make them a subscription reward (no buying them)
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: What is an Artifact worth? (In Credits)  (Read 866 times)

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
What is an Artifact worth? (In Credits)
« on: October 19, 2017, 04:12:40 PM »
Poll kind of says it all.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Dystopian

• View Profile
Re: What is an Artifact worth? (In Credits)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 10:15:12 PM »
Oh god, I don't wanna say how much I'd cough up for it! I'm sure a lot of people have wasted their artifact. Mine is tied to the founder of my House and so it'll always have a small sentimental place for me at least, and a reason for war at best. What's yours Andrew? The people need to know.

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 10:25:51 AM »
Quote from: Artifact #1,because surprisingly I made the first one
It is spoken that many millennia ago a group came together to maintain the balance of this world. It is not known what eventually happened to all these people, but the fifth still survives, his sword still the one they used in the first enchanting so many years past.

This "Fifth Blade" was forged at Iungard before Iungard was Iungard and before they'd even chosen a name for themselves. When Iungard became Iungard, it was only proper that these swords also became "of Iungard".

This sword is unlike most today. It was forged by the hands of First Ones in the magic fueled furnaces of old. It's metals, alloys that cannot be made anymore, and it's design, as original as the hands that made it.

Between the ever changing faces of runes that cover the blade of this broadsword, the hilt that never seems to lose it's finish, or the gemstone in the pommel that seems to change color based on some external phenomenon, it is a blade as unique as the First Ones themselves.
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Foxglove

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 01:53:27 PM »
People probably need a bit context for the options in the poll. Mainly if this is connected to thinking about getting rid of subscriptions and looking for alternative streams of income. For example, it may change the way people want to vote if they knew whether additional purchases like this might replace subscriptions; or whether this might be looking for a way to add better value to subscriptions. Or, indeed, whether it's just looking at options for further vanity.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 01:55:18 PM by Foxglove »
Standing for the responsible use of power since Year 1, Week 1, Day 1.
Fun fact: I wrote some of the text for the M&F crowdfunding campaign.
Favourite warm beverage: hot chocolate.

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 08:14:25 AM »
I'd have to sit down and run some math to decide whether or not I'd want to replace subscriptions outright. As it stands, subscribers are enough to keep the game running, but as for vanity items, not sure.

I'm more likely to reward subscribers, with discount vanity items or free vanity items, than I am to replace subscriptions though.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 11:51:02 AM »
Context? Are we talking about allowing for as many artefacts as you want to spend credit on? Part of the great part of artefacts as they stand is that they are reasonably self limiting.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 05:24:56 PM »
Context? Are we talking about allowing for as many artefacts as you want to spend credit on? Part of the great part of artefacts as they stand is that they are reasonably self limiting.

Sort of, yes. I'm also debating them as a subscription bonus. So after so long you're given another to play with.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 12:40:24 PM »
Sort of, yes. I'm also debating them as a subscription bonus. So after so long you're given another to play with.

Not a massive fan, I would personally like to see artefacts kept rare. But perhaps another rank of item, something not quite as legendary as an artefact, but well above the normal?

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 01:25:47 PM »

Not a massive fan, I would personally like to see artefacts kept rare. But perhaps another rank of item, something not quite as legendary as an artefact, but well above the normal?

As a purchasable or subscription reward?

One of these days, I'll get around to adding in artifact boosters that modify battle stats.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 11:05:54 PM »
As a purchasable or subscription reward?

One of these days, I'll get around to adding in artifact boosters that modify battle stats.

Doesn't really matter in the deals, though I can't really see people paying a constant fee to have one. My thinking is artifacts are those items of immense power, forged or created by those that stand out even among the First Ones. The second tier would be equipment forged by First One craftsmen rather then the run of the mill stuff we get from those incompetent mortals. I assume that even though we all have the rank of "nobility" given our powers of control over mortals and our lack of numbers, that our nobility still practise other crafts that were once our domain when our empires consisted of only First Ones, just that with our lack of numbers and our other duties the number of craftsmen and their time to dedicate to the work is somewhat less then it was.

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 01:25:33 PM »
I wasn't intending it to be a "you must subscribe to have this" for things being a subscriber reward, more that I want to reward people for subscribing for X amount of days. Like you get the first one for subscribing for a month, then the second for 4 months, the fourth for a year, so on. Even if you stop subscribing, you keep your artifacts. If you restart later, you pick up where you left off.

That said I'm leery of giving a lot of power to artifacts, but I would like them to be something people actually fight over. Might have to setup more mechanics for tracking what happens to them.

Past that, I discussed at one point having first ones who take up professions towards making different things possible. Like a First One might be a smith, in that they take their knowledge of smithing and use that to both guide the mortals and advance their own abilities, being a leader in that field.

Foxglove

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 01:43:51 PM »
I wasn't intending it to be a "you must subscribe to have this" for things being a subscriber reward, more that I want to reward people for subscribing for X amount of days. Like you get the first one for subscribing for a month, then the second for 4 months, the fourth for a year, so on. Even if you stop subscribing, you keep your artifacts. If you restart later, you pick up where you left off.

That's a pretty good idea. I particularly like that people could keep the rewards even if they stop subscribing. It has a chance of increasing subscriptions to the game, given the way many people who play games like to collect things (whether it be in-game items or things like achievements). Perhaps it could also be extended to other things, either as well as or instead of artifacts, so there would be other options aside from an ever increasing number of artifacts in the world. For example, the ability of create family retainers (e.g. a master of hawks; master of hounds; cup bearer; etc) who can be given a written description and then assigned to a player character like we do with artifacts. I suppose, if you could create such servants, the issue would be that they'd have to have a set lifespan if they were mortal to be in keeping with the game setting. Unless the First Ones have some magical way of extending the life of favourite servants. Anything is possible.

I don't know. But I think there's definitely scope to expand subscriber rewards to other stuff in addition to artifacts.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 01:45:52 PM by Foxglove »
Standing for the responsible use of power since Year 1, Week 1, Day 1.
Fun fact: I wrote some of the text for the M&F crowdfunding campaign.
Favourite warm beverage: hot chocolate.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 01:52:35 PM »

That said I'm leery of giving a lot of power to artifacts, but I would like them to be something people actually fight over. Might have to setup more mechanics for tracking what happens to them.

Past that, I discussed at one point having first ones who take up professions towards making different things possible. Like a First One might be a smith, in that they take their knowledge of smithing and use that to both guide the mortals and advance their own abilities, being a leader in that field.

I am against professions, simply because they would be so gameable with the current character limits. That and I personally don't the game to evolve into some cRPG.

Allowing for equipment for sub time though could easily work, and with some work on the Lore you could create in game rationales for it, a ancient guild of FO artisans (Admin controlled NPC's) for example.