Author Topic: Why M&F peaked so young  (Read 393 times)

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
Re: Why M&F peaked so young
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 07:33:51 AM »
I've been toying with a system for another thing of mine that would enable people to have conflicting information, but it'd be non-trivial to implement on M&F.

That said, I do like displaying the knight offers on the public map, but I don't think it's as trivial as just adding a line to map.js to load knight offers. I tried this, it did nothing. Might have to set the game up so that if you're not logged in it redirects to a different map, rather than the one used everywhere else. If we did that, then it should be pretty easy to load up knightoffers. Map.js needs some rework anyways, as there's no reason to load roads on the char start screen.

That said, I do agree with De-Legro. It's too easy to know things. Only lords shall know total populations of settlements at a glance. This should make it FAR more interesting for collecting taxes. It may also encourage or discourage town halls (which maintain the stats on population).
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Cipheron

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2017, 02:01:14 PM »
When deciding which information to obfuscate, and how to do that, one big issue is to think carefully about how this effects game balance. e.g. a single player with two paid accounts, 20 characters can know a lot at once. They can run the core of a whole empire, and they get economies of scale of information gathering. And this is before we consider any additional obfuscation.

Obfuscating things for non-lords could, if not handled carefully, massively increase the relative advantage of those continent-scale players vs nations that divide out the lands between multiple players. There are already logistical and intelligence-gathering disincentives to splitting up lands with more players. Poorly conceived obfuscation of information could make those disincentives greater.

e.g. perhaps if things are obfuscated, we should limit the amount one knight can know. e.g. a lord with a single far-flung holding on the other side of the world shouldn't have minutae information about the daily running of that town. Then, the benefits of passing that to an underling to manage would be more balanced against the costs: the place was so remote that it was hard to maintain up to date information on what's happening there, anyway.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 03:57:48 AM by Cipheron »

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2017, 09:53:50 PM »
That's doable, we'd just need to decide on the distance or rules. You could do distance, or current realm they're in, or any number of things. (Yes, it is possible to find the current realm someone is standing in.)
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2017, 11:47:17 PM »
When deciding which information to obfuscate, and how to do that, one big issue is to think carefully about how this effects game balance. e.g. a single player with two paid accounts, 20 characters can know a lot at once. They can run the core of a whole empire, and they get economies of scale of information gathering. And this is before we consider any additional obfuscation.

Obfuscating things for non-lords could, if not handled carefully, massively increase the relative advantage of those continent-scale players vs nations that divide out the lands between multiple players. There are already logistical and intelligence-gathering disincentives to splitting up lands with more players. Poorly conceived obfuscation of information could make those disincentives greater.

e.g. perhaps if things are obfuscated, we should limit the amount one knight can know. e.g. a lord with a single far-flung holding on the other side of the world shouldn't have minutae information about the daily running of that town. Then, the benefits of passing that to an underling to manage would be more balanced against the costs: the place was so remote that it was hard to maintain up to date information on what's happening there, anyway.

No. If there is an advantage conferred by single accounts with large amounts of land, it should be countered in other ways, for example a corruption system that actually has relevance. The fact that we have relatively few large land holders, and that those that do exist get consistently whipped by realms like Hawks speaks to the fact that such large networks don't confer the absolute advantage people think they do. What they do however is limit game interaction between players which is detrimental.

That said as I mentioned in Discord, the obfuscation should make sense. It is reasonable to expect that counts, Duke Kings etc have some level of knowledge about the lands they hold dominion over. Exactly what that entails, and if there should be differing levels depending on if the Lord is your direct vassal or not I am not sure. Perhaps also this would give libraries more of a purpose, allowing for controlled information distribution within a realm.
He who was once known as Blackfyre