Author Topic: The 1.1 Update Topic  (Read 105 times)

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
The 1.1 Update Topic
« on: September 30, 2017, 08:07:33 AM »
So, I need a place to keep my thoughts and work on this straight, and figured, why not do it publicly.

Here goes. Originally, this started at making palaces a thing. Then it expanded to making enterable features a thing. Then I thought, if I'm doing that, lets make customizable buildings (Places) a thing. And after that I realized that to make enterable features new types of settlements, which meant adding superior/inferior relations to settlements. Around that time I was thinking about how to build a new settlement, and figured, why not make it an inventory item. So I started working on adding inventories. In short, this update will be freaking huge.

Anyways, what I've got thus far:

Entities (New):
  • Place.php - Shell File
  • SettlementType.php - Shell File
Doctrine Changes:
  • BuildingType.orm.xml - Add built_in, maps to SettlementType allows field.
  • Character.orm.xml - Add updated_places, maps to Place updater field.
  • EventLog.orm.xml - Add place field, to allow places to have event logs.
  • FeatureType.orm.xml - Add upgrades_to one-to-many relation to SettlementType
  • Place.orm.xml - New, tracks name, type, description, updater, and updated time.
  • Realm.orm.xml - Add capitals, maps to Settlements.
  • Settlement.orm.xml - Add capital_of, maps to Realms. Add superior/inferiors, maps to self. Will allow subordinate settlements. Add type, maps to SettlementType, will control what buildings can be built.
  • SettlementType.orm.xml - New, tracks allowed types of settlements. New fields for name, many-to-one relation on which features they upgrade, enabled boolean for turning new ones on or off, subtype string to tie into later roving clan system. Many-to-many field for tracking what buildings can be built where, homed off BuildingType table.
DataFixture Changes:
  • LoadBuildingData.php - Added BuiltIn logic for new settlement types, added following buildings: Warehouse, Apothecary, Guild Square, Guild District, Empty Moat, Filled Moat, Quarry
  • LoadFeatureData.php - Added new feature types, add logic for adding new ones
  • LoadSettlementData.php - Add in new settlement types
TODO:
  • Feature building form updates so it knows when something is available in inventory for placing. On hold for now.
  • Construction form updates so it knows that only certain things can be built in certain settlement types.
  • Logic for converting a building to an inventory item to a settlement/place -- Palaces will not be traditional buildings. This should include monuments, plazas, etc. On hold for now.
  • Logic for managing population between settlements in same region.
  • Logic for Regional Lords to manage appointment of sub-lords.
  • Controller for Places? Or should we just build this into the existing Settlement Controller?
  • Update BuildingTypes with settlement type info.
  • Determine settlement types.
  • Update Doctrine config for building types to add type field.
  • Update Building DataFixture to load in new types.
  • Add separate logic for troops garrisoned other than cities/villages
  • Add conditions for construction of dockyards and filled moat.
  • Add resource data for new buildings.
  • Add logic for Sublords? Perhaps with individual translation strings depending on what type of settlement it is.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 08:57:17 AM by Andrew »
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
Re: The 1.1 Update Topic
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 12:21:01 AM »
Figured a way to do this without inventories, which should cut down the implementation time.
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 08:59:09 AM »
Got some more work done on this. Rebalanced about half of the building defense bonuses in order to add in a few new types without making settlements even harder to crack.

Hopefully, what I've got done thus far will work as is, but all this will be hard to test without it all being there, so this will probably involve a LOT of fixing once everything is there and we start plugging it into the test server.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 11:57:39 PM »
Why do we need more fortification types?
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 06:02:43 AM »
If memory serves, I added moats and apothecaries. I may remove the defense bonus from apothecaries and give the full 10 back to alchemists.

As to why moats, because they're a real thing?

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 09:32:40 AM »
If memory serves, I added moats and apothecaries. I may remove the defense bonus from apothecaries and give the full 10 back to alchemists.

As to why moats, because they're a real thing?

Alchemist aiding defense was always weird to me anyway.

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 09:43:09 AM »
I always thought of it as the addition of burning oil and stuff or provide salves for wounds.

Cipheron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 10:45:49 AM »
As well as burning oil poured on defenders, alchemists could also create Greek Fire type concoctions which could coat arrows, or poisons which could coat swords. Perhaps describing some of the things the alchemist does in the building description would make sense.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 11:18:36 AM »
As well as burning oil poured on defenders, alchemists could also create Greek Fire type concoctions which could coat arrows, or poisons which could coat swords. Perhaps describing some of the things the alchemist does in the building description would make sense.

So things that improve troops in general, attack and defence really. Then again modern science can't actually replicate Greek Fire and it wasn't developed by the Greco-Roman Egypt alchemist who's practise involved large amounts of spiritualism and the concept of purification. Indeed none of the effects listed required "alchemist" poisons having been used to coat arrows and assassin blades by pretty much every culture known, and also being largely useless in battle due to the fact the poison simply doesn't remain on a blade long during battle conditions. Fire arrows likewise are trivial, generally need to be fired from close range due to their propensity to extinguish and are of arguably greater value to the sieging army. Even then their utility is argued about and many consider them to be a weapon of terror rather then actually useful.

If we want to make alchemist the "fantasy" chemist that they became in the 12th century once medieval europe had access to Islamic scientific text all well and good, but then they should be the pre-requisite for allowing settlements to produce defensive (and perhaps offensive) equipment that is consumed during a siege, not some weird over all defensive bonus.