Author Topic: travel dates and battle timers  (Read 177 times)

Amble

• View Profile
travel dates and battle timers
« on: August 03, 2017, 08:10:28 AM »
Just a minor issue that bothers me. I know that I could understand this if I cared to do maths and calculate time zones, but as a casual player I really can't keep up all the time.

Battle timers report as estimated time of completion in server time or something. I think you can tell what time it is currently by checking server time in the bottom, I think. Then it also tells you at the bottom what in-game day it is. But doesn't tell you when the battle will end in-game or in your local time. Most useful thing for it to say is: Battle will end in x hours (or in x in game days).

When travelling all you get told is how many in-game days your trip will take. I know you just have to divide by four and then multiply by 24 for real hours. That's fine that it reflects the in game timeline and adds to the atmosphere. But please can we use the same units in the battle timer and the travel and stop us all having to do this struggle every time?

Options I can suggest of are either tell us the estimated battle start and end in in-game dates (this adds a little more uncertainty to it as there are no hours marked, I think thats a good thing really because you wouldnt really know when the battle will end) or just say in x hours, or in 0.4 in-game days. Or add to the general travel section with how many hours real life travel the trip will take. Any of those would solve the problem.

Also, I understand that roads do have an effect, but does the travel time estimator know and report this?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 08:40:45 AM by De-Legro »

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
Re: travel dates and battle timers
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 12:19:20 PM »
All times in game are in server time. Right now that's GMT+1. After August 19th, it'll be GMT-6 (or sometimes 5, because Daylight Savings). Everything that says it'll end at HH:MM on date? Server time.

Honestly, if we standardized these, I'd rather we make it something a player can toggle. So things will either say timestamps or game dates. That'd require some functionality that doesn't presently exist though I think. That said, making them display both should be hard. The server itself does everything in full timestamps anyways.

Roads do have an effect but this is NOT reflected on travel estimations. For the record, high quality roads are up to 50% faster. :)
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Amble

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 12:22:55 PM »
Thank you, that's really interesting to hear.

Demivar

• Purveyor of cunning plans.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 10:53:46 PM »
Why not force the server time to stay as is? I know that the new host will be in the US, but the change will be a nuisance.
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Radovid's like you
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: but then insane
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Dijkstra is like you

silvershot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 04:03:20 PM »
Another browser game I play off and on has special markup for converting to whatever local time a user sees.

If you use t1000 or 10:00 (24h clock) where the numbers represent a time in your own time zone, it gets converted to server time and then when displayed to other players, converted to their timezones.

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 04:43:28 PM »
I can't promise that it'll be a priority, but it's feasible that we could do something similar.

The game already has an existing system for detecting contextual things for linking or converting. Something to think about.
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

silvershot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 07:43:04 PM »
The core is PHP, right? I don't know much PHP, but I could look into it and see if there's any easy to implement solutions.

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 11:32:24 PM »
Yep, PHP, with small bits of JavaScript on certain pages.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 01:37:51 AM »
Messages us the Markdown system, so ideally anything related to them needs to also adhere to that.
He who was once known as Blackfyre