Author Topic: Things to Do  (Read 640 times)

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
Re: Things to Do
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2017, 11:31:17 PM »
So, if these become actual interactive npcs on the map though and follow travel rules, it might not be so bad if they are sent longer distances. Some unorganized soldiers on tree road make for a good target. :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 12:51:26 AM by Andrew »
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Gustav Kuriga

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2017, 12:25:34 AM »
Possibly. It'd give bandits something to do.

silvershot

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2017, 12:52:01 AM »
I like the sound of that. As I said, it should be relatively short-ranged, no more than 3-4 provinces (in my opinion, though the exact range would probably change based on in-game experience) to avoid both full centralization, and so that troops aren't being sent halfway across the map.

I disagree, but only because I think you could simply make it expensive and time consuming. I think that trying to funnel larger groups of troops longer distances would just, naturally, take a lot longer. You would probably also have to be concerned with ensuring they are fed. If they're not fed, they'd have to forage and take even longer.

Groups light infantry, archers and/or cavalry would probably be able to travel pretty quickly.

Groups of Medium Infantry, Heavy Infantry, Armored archers and heavy cavalry would probably travel a lot more slowly.

It's easy to keep small groups in order. Much harder to keep larger groups in order.

Funneling soldiers this way could cost money, and food (if you want to ensure you avoid starvation and let them travel faster).

And if you move too far away from their destination? It will take a bit longer to reorganize their march towards you, or they could just keep marching to the wrong place (so you'd have to intercept them some how, or sacrifice scouts, etc, to keep them coming to your location)

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2017, 01:36:28 AM »
I like the sound of that. As I said, it should be relatively short-ranged, no more than 3-4 provinces (in my opinion, though the exact range would probably change based on in-game experience) to avoid both full centralization, and so that troops aren't being sent halfway across the map.

The implementation I currently favour would be for them to simply be a unit upon the map. My concept is that all soldiers belong to a named military unit, with each unit consuming a barracks at its settlement of residence. Each military is broken down into sections, that is smaller probably identical units. The exceptions is the command section which will have the command NPC for the entire unit and the training section. I  am still sort of conceptualising the details, especially because I am trying to work the whole thing into much larger planned changes but the general idea would be that much of the entourage we currently attach to our characters would instead be attached to a unit, particularly things like camp followers.Each section is the smallest group you can give orders to, but in the most part they must operation within a specific range of the command section.

The training section is completely different. They operate in the home barracks, training replacement troops. I have yet to decide if they only train troops in response to losses, train troops constantly to maintain a certain composition ready to provide replacements as needed or some select-able combination of the two. The way mustering would work is that the training section would send troops to the command section, ready to be deployed to each section. This movement would be as a group, so some sort of control is probably necessary, either settings for a minimum unit size before replacements are sent, or a button to request replacements. Once they arrive at the command section they go to the sections that need them, either as a teleport thing or when the section next is within interaction range of the command unit.
He who was once known as Blackfyre