Author Topic: Soldier Experience  (Read 1029 times)

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier Experience
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2017, 06:36:02 AM »
It seems you are hellbent on not listening to anyone here, so I will stop talking.

Yet I listened to Silvershot. For your information there have been large wars, how large do you want? There have been wars with more then ten thousand troops on each side for example. Just because I disagree with someone doesn't mean I don't listen, just that I am not swayed by their point of view or argument. A game can not cater to all people and those with more time to play have just as much right to have games in existence that suit their play style and activity as those that do not. That said there are other changes that should make things more live-able for players that have less frequent logins. The tiny interaction range I believe should be increased, just not to the size of an entire settlement. Beyond the fact that it introduces a logic disconnect given the battle interaction range will vary with the size of the settlement, with the proposed changes to how settlements/estates/ will work and the ability to change the size of them, it will open itself up to all sorts of abuse that we then have to come up with solutions and code around.

Personally I don't think the battle preparation timers particularly help less active player, at least not when they are on the side that don't have the initiative. I would think that by time most log in and learn of a battle, the time to travel to that battle is longer then the time left in the preparation.

Perhaps in addition to. It may not offer enough to be worth development time, but even a successful disengagement or evasion might carry some risk. They could, for example, send skirmishing forces to try to force you into battle, or at least slow you down. I don't know, though. I definitely think a perfect disengagement/evasion would be difficult if the enemy is already hunting you.

Perhaps it would be easier for a noble and a few guards to escape -- leaving behind his men to fend for themselves and perhaps branding him as a coward.

Would be perhaps interesting to have a system were evade is simultaneous to the creation of a battle. We would probably need some sort of regrouping timer though, otherwise the aggressive party can simply spam more attacks before you move, that or get Tom's movement code to actually function as required in terms of moving your party when you evade.

In the talks Andrew and I have had about improvements to the battle engine the use an functionality of skirmishes is certainly something we want to introduce. The current battle system favours top end equipment over all else. Using skirmishes to prevent retreat, or indeed using them to cover a retreat are good ways to make lighter armoured troops useful I feel.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Constantine

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2017, 10:26:14 AM »
A game can not cater to all people and those with more time to play have just as much right to have games in existence that suit their play style and activity as those that do not. That said there are other changes that should make things more live-able for players that have less frequent logins.
On the contrary, we atually need changes to give 24/7 people more stuff to do.
Wars are the only thing that caters to their very high activity level. Everything else is very slow. So high activity players either leave or basically live from war to war. It's not even funny to watch them enter hybernation regime while there's nobody to kill as they delete all of their extra characters and log in once a day. And then something comes around and they spawn 20 characters again and go at it like there's no tomorrow.
Maybe that's the main reason behind some people seeking any opportunity to fight even if its already a gangbang of some minor realm half a continent away.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2017, 10:55:09 AM »
On the contrary, we atually need changes to give 24/7 people more stuff to do.
Wars are the only thing that caters to their very high activity level. Everything else is very slow. So high activity players either leave or basically live from war to war. It's not even funny to watch them enter hybernation regime while there's nobody to kill as they delete all of their extra characters and log in once a day. And then something comes around and they spawn 20 characters again and go at it like there's no tomorrow.
Maybe that's the main reason behind some people seeking any opportunity to fight even if its already a gangbang of some minor realm half a continent away.

Try to make argument that don't revolve around whatever situation you find yourself in. Just as I had to explain to various Hawks in annoying OOC message's it is very easy to see ooc reasons or collusion when you are not privy to everything that is occuring. For instance Hawks would not now be involved in a war had Ascalon not had a feast RP running. I almost didn't send a character at any rate so it is pretty coincidental that Eldamar where able to make contact with me and enlist Hawks aid. Likewise many in Hawks including myself had made assumptions that Ryne and Gwent events were all organised OOC by Battlemaster friends. However no matter what I assumed OOC it had no bearing on my characters.

If war was that important to the very active players, we would simply start them. The most active players I know are myself, Weaver and Demivar, and we are all generally much happier not at war.

Constantine

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2017, 12:10:53 PM »
It is interesting how you took my post as a personal jab because it was not aimed at you at all. I have no idea what Hawks players do during peace times and how many characters each has. But this knee-jerk reaction could mean it is pretty much the same as Stoned's Rathgar, Dubhaine's Lowlands, Weaver's EI, Demi's Ascalon and even my Slumberstone when I had plenty of free time and was very active.

I am not throwing anyone under the bus here, just stating the facts. My arguments do revolve around situations I found myself in because that is literally the only way you interact with the game and community and see how things are. I do not have any knowledge of the game outside of my own experience with it, I hope that's clear.

One can argue that there are no ooc cliques who coordinate their political alignments in discord or that people don't need wars to not get bored to death. And that could well be true. But it does not even matter as long as the usual MO is still as I've described it. Hibernation>activity spike where a weaker side is obliterated in a gangbang>hibernation. I am not interested in motives and behind the scenes stuff, I am pointing out the flawed activity cycle. Wars are actually very rare. But a war can make or break the entire experience for you. And players who get used to months of slow paced gameplay get completely obliterated because they can not micromanage their armies 24/7. That's bad deisgn. This game needs to decide what sort of game it is.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:21:18 PM by Constantine »

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2017, 12:57:53 PM »
It is interesting how you took my post as a personal jab because it was not aimed at you at all. I have no idea what Hawks players do during peace times and how many characters each has. But this knee-jerk reaction could mean it is pretty much the same as Stoned's Rathgar, Dubhaine's Lowlands, Weaver's EI, Demi's Ascalon and even my Slumberstone when I had plenty of free time and was very active.

I am not throwing anyone under the bus here, just stating the facts. My arguments do revolve around situations I found myself in because that is literally the only way you interact with the game and community and see how things are. I do not have any knowledge of the game outside of my own experience with it, I hope that's clear.

One can argue that there are no ooc cliques who coordinate their political alignments in discord or that people don't need wars to not get bored to death. And that could well be true. But it does not even matter as long as the usual MO is still as I've described it. Hibernation>activity spike where a weaker side is obliterated in a gangbang>hibernation. I am not interested in motives and behind the scenes stuff, I am pointing out the flawed activity cycle. Wars are actually very rare. But a war can make or break the entire experience for you. And players who get used to months of slow paced gameplay get completely obliterated because they can not micromanage their armies 24/7. That's bad deisgn. This game needs to decide what sort of game it is.

I was quite careful not to take it personally. I was simply providing a counter experience. But lets follow your rabbit hole. Go on and list all the realms that have been obliterated.

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2017, 01:06:26 PM »
Guys, stop. You're just feeding each other's arguments at this point.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)