Author Topic: Regarding Subscriptions.  (Read 730 times)

FSG

• View Profile
Regarding Subscriptions.
« on: June 09, 2017, 01:00:52 AM »
Hi, I'm new to the game and I'm just wondering if the free subscription means 4 alive characters at a time.

What I mean by this is, if I have a character die, and I already have 3 other characters, am I allowed to create a new one? How does this work?

Sorry if I'm being dull, but I couldn't find anything on it. Thank you!

Demivar

• Purveyor of cunning plans.
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding Subscriptions.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 01:12:12 AM »
I'm assuming that you're mentioning this as you saw what I was informed of as a warning and reminder to Eldamar in the place of some large-scale abuse.

To clarify quickly and ease your worries (as no one official is around), the game's terms of service restricts players to one free account per player. Your account is what you will see, and will show all of your living and dead characters. The number of characters active on an account is defined by membership level, and for free accounts this is 4 characters. You may use the full limit of this whenever you want, and when a character dies you can replace them without issue.

The issue was raised when a database query was made and it was made very obvious that certain players have been using absurd numbers of accounts. So rather than having one account with 4 characters, they'd have multiple accounts with different usernames and logins which they would alternate between and have 4 characters on each. They would log out of an account and log into their other ones. As a rule of thumb, provided that you aren't logging out and switching accounts. If you are, make sure you clarify with the terms of service, which quite simply states that free accounts are limited to one per player.

You've nothing to worry about, provided you only have one free account. I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 01:14:57 AM by Demivar »
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Radovid's like you
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: but then insane
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Dijkstra is like you

FSG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 02:20:05 AM »
Thank you so much! I had gotten through the manual and was excited to start off when I saw that you were limited to just 4. Anyways, this really did help relieve me of my concerns.

New Player 123

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 02:56:10 PM »
the game's terms of service restricts players to one free account per player. . . . The number of characters active on an account is defined by membership level, and for free accounts this is 4 characters.

Does this mean we can have multiple paid accounts in addition to our one free account?

Constantine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 03:02:35 PM »
Paid account is an upgrade to your free account.

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 03:10:32 PM »
Does this mean we can have multiple paid accounts in addition to our one free account?

Yes.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Constantine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 03:57:02 PM »
Not thrilled by this policy change. Tom's intention was to stop people from using multiple accounts to cheat corruption mechanics. Which in turn was his only strategy to combat players who want to own half the continent.

Foxglove

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 10:34:13 PM »
Not thrilled by this policy change.

It's not a change in policy. People have always been allowed to have multiple paid-for accounts, even when Tom was running the game hands-on.

It would need direct confirmation on this from Andrew, but Tom's stated position on free accounts and paid accounts was that you can have a free account or a paid account. You can't have the free account "in addition" to a paid account. Many people originally misunderstood Tom's intentions about this and he clarified it for us. The free account was considered to be a trial account and people could then upgrade it to a paid account if they so wished. There is meant to be flexibility in how you can play (i.e. you some times might want to play 10 characters; some times 20; some times 4; and you can switch the levels of your account to suit your circumstances).

However, Andrew is now the Game Master, so it would need him to clarify his position on whether players are allowed to have both a free account and a paid account at the same time.

By the way, Tom was the designer of Might & Fealty, for the benefit of new players who won't be aware of who did and does what.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 10:41:27 PM by Foxglove »
Standing for the responsible use of power since Year 1, Week 1, Day 1.
Fun fact: I wrote some of the text for the M&F crowdfunding campaign.
Favourite warm beverage: hot chocolate.

Constantine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 10:51:50 PM »
It's not a change in policy. People have always been allowed to have multiple paid-for accounts, even when Tom was running the game hands-on.
Pretty sure Tom considered this an abuse. But was to lazy to actually police it.

Foxglove

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 11:25:42 PM »
Perhaps so, but it's still the case that players have always been allowed to have multiple paid accounts.
Standing for the responsible use of power since Year 1, Week 1, Day 1.
Fun fact: I wrote some of the text for the M&F crowdfunding campaign.
Favourite warm beverage: hot chocolate.

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 02:46:58 PM »
Per Tom:

Quote from: Tom
You are entitled to one free account OR as many paid ones as you want. That should be obvious from the free account being called a TRIAL account. If you're not trying anymore, you should pay.

As the game's legal owner, there's your ruling. One free account or as many paid ones as you want. As seen here.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 03:13:25 PM by Andrew »
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

willy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 03:13:36 PM »
It does open up the "pay to win" option, but if someone wants to buy a realm....game isn't real densely packed. They aren't so much paying to win, but buying a GM spot. It's still kind of the same thing, but doesn't Might and Fealty have the same "playing with friends" clause about being a dick (as Battlemaster does)? Let them have at it if it'll add to the game, ban them and keep their monies if they start to take away from it (after proper warning).

I feel like 8 characters are a bit much with regular activity on a normal subscription. Not sure what you'd do with dozens of char to need multiple paid accounts. Alotta drones I suppose.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 03:16:29 PM by willy »

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 04:18:55 PM »
"Pay to win" requires there to be a "win" condition. Not sure what you mean by buying a GM spot though.

As to playing with friends, well, there is this wonderful line in the ToS:

You also agree that you will not do any of the following in connection with the Site or other users:

Use the Site in any manner that could interfere with, disrupt, negatively affect or inhibit other users from fully enjoying the Site or that could damage, disable, overburden or impair the functioning of the Site;

Constantine

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 04:27:49 PM »
Wonderful and meaningless line.
I would say that I know quite a few players who have negatively affected other players and even chased them out of the game without technically breaking the rules.

But that is tangential of course. The main point here is that a player can potentially own limitless number of accounts which in turn does mean a pay to win environment. There is a clear win in being able to amass countless number of provinces and being able to keep minimal levels of corruption at the same time. There is literally no better definition of advantage in a sandbox game than accumulating a huge amount of resources with a paid option to avoid all the drawbacks.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 04:30:08 PM by Constantine »

willy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 06:01:55 PM »
Not sure what you mean by buying a GM spot though.

Oh, just that by flooding an area with nobles you could conceivably control a larger part of the map. GM as a kind of artificial powerful kingdom, I guess (you'd essentially have dozens of NPCs). Part of me doesn't care how density increases, but would just like it to increase. Ideally with interesting characters in a fleshed out world, but even if someone wants a thousand drones roaming and be known as 'that guy'....let 'em. As long as they don't harass other players.

Fight the good fight, integrate into their sandcastle dominion, or go find greener fields. All apart of a little story.