Author Topic: Major Cultures of the Game  (Read 176 times)

Dystopian

• View Profile
Major Cultures of the Game
« on: May 25, 2017, 10:27:46 AM »
I was just thinking about making another character and started going through the cultures of the game in my mind. The amount that have been created by the players is enormous and I believe that was one of the objectives of Tom's game. Anyhow a few I can think of off the top of my head are:

-Ascalonian

-Magvellian

-Rathgar/Rathgari

-Lowlander

-Northmen

-Farudi

-Arrakeshi

-I don't know much of the Imperium even having served in it briefly so Imperial(?)

-Asrian (Extinct :D )

-Men of the Fading Isles (?) Perhaps it breaks into Mercian, Iungard etc.

-Hawks

-Many more...

I just found it interesting and sought to share. When I think of Magvel I think of fat Lords sitting in beautiful coastal villas gorging themselves of grapes and dark wines.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 10:29:25 AM by Dystopian »

Constantine

• View Profile
Re: Major Cultures of the Game
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 12:02:46 PM »
-Northmen
Who are they?

-Men of the Fading Isles (?) Perhaps it breaks into Mercian, Iungard etc.

-Hawks
I think islanders are pretty much the same people but with some acquired cultural differences. 
[/size]
When I think of Magvel I think of fat Lords sitting in beautiful coastal villas gorging themselves of grapes and dark wines.
Don't forget degenerate pastimes like sodomy or philosophy.

To add to your list:
- Tetsuyama (now concentrated in Cuhibana)
- Sarantian (extinct)
- Cultist of Armok
- Cultist of Black Road (extinct)
- Romans (mainland subdivision of Hawks)

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 12:21:31 AM »
Who are they?
I think islanders are pretty much the same people but with some acquired cultural differences. 
Don't forget degenerate pastimes like sodomy or philosophy.

To add to your list:
- Tetsuyama (now concentrated in Cuhibana)
- Sarantian (extinct)
- Cultist of Armok
- Cultist of Black Road (extinct)
- Romans (mainland subdivision of Hawks)

Non of the three founding islands cultures share a common history. Iuna claim to be natives, Hawks were shipped wreaked upon the islands at the start of the game, and I forget Mercia's back story but I do recall they have a runic magic unknown to Hawks and Iuna. Tom's ruling family was of a separate culture again. In the start of the game there were three distinct cultures upon what is now known as Hawk island, two of which survive, Hawks and hunter culture of Ras Igilgili.

Most realms break down into smaller cultures anyway, for example within Hawks there are over arching laws derived from the history and lore of my own characters, but if I am being honest only 1 or 2 families even bother paying it lip service. Then you have groups like the Demesne of the Companions, the horse lords that comprise Rheged, the historical Hawks slaves of the Rusizkean Protectorate though perhaps that doesn't really count because it is both populated by myself and tied to the founding Hawk Lore.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Foxglove

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 03:21:13 AM »
Yes, Iuna/Iungard was founded by Andrew Calinus who was an extremely ancient First One who claimed to have been in the islands for a very long time. Iuna was built on the foundations of the ancient civilization of the Isles that had magic at the core of its culture. I believe illusion was a big part of the magic.

Mercia, on the other hand, was founded by First Ones who arrived in the islands on day 1, week 1, year 1 and landed in the vicinity of Bonrick. A semi-nomadic sea people, they had lived on a sort of flotilla of ships that had set out from the semi-mythical fog-shrouded isle of Avallach that is meant to be situated far to the west (off the edge of the map). Their religion is based more on ancestor worship than the gods (who they distrust since some of the gods tried to wipe out First Ones). Mercians also have magic, but it's a solid thing of iron and forges that involves runes on items such as amulets, armour, swords, and the like. It's purposely a contrast to the Iunan form of magic.

Some time ago, some of us (mainly me and Andrew) tried to make magic a defining characteristic of the islands as its always been the place in the game where its the strongest. That goes right back to Jason Lasar (Tom's High King of the Fading Isles) who lived on an island where sailors saw strange lights coming from it, and Lasar also used teleportation right at the start of the game to move characters to settlements across the isles.

Below the three main Isles cultures (Hawks, Iuna, and Mercia), you then have realms like Caladia, Wild Wood, Varanguard, and the Farvik League. Caladia I'm not too sure about it's culture as it started as an offshoot from Iuna and seems to share a similar culture. Wild Wood is basically a realm completely focused on nature and the laws of nature. Varanguard is defined by its place right at the edge of the world and sees itself as the last outpost of civilization before the vast expanse of nothing they believe lies in the western oceans. The Farvik League I've never been too sure about either.

So there are quite a few distinct cultures in the Isles that aren't too immediately apparent to outsiders.

There's also the Cursed Isle, which very few players probably now remember. It's the isle currently owned by Hawks nearest to the mainland. It was described as cursed by the old High King of the Fading Isles, who claimed it was a source of evil that corrupted every First One it touched. The Cursed Isle was directly responsible for the fall of the Fading Isles and the founding of the Grand Fate when Iuna, Hawks, and Mercia rebelled against the High King after he ordered Andrew Calinus to execute certain First Ones for having set foot upon the Cursed Isle.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 03:51:49 AM by Foxglove »
Standing for the responsible use of power since Year 1, Week 1, Day 1.
Fun fact: I wrote some of the text for the M&F crowdfunding campaign.
Favourite warm beverage: hot chocolate.