Author Topic: Major Cultures of the Game  (Read 435 times)

Dystopian

• View Profile
Major Cultures of the Game
« on: May 25, 2017, 10:27:46 AM »
I was just thinking about making another character and started going through the cultures of the game in my mind. The amount that have been created by the players is enormous and I believe that was one of the objectives of Tom's game. Anyhow a few I can think of off the top of my head are:

-Ascalonian

-Magvellian

-Rathgar/Rathgari

-Lowlander

-Northmen

-Farudi

-Arrakeshi

-I don't know much of the Imperium even having served in it briefly so Imperial(?)

-Asrian (Extinct :D )

-Men of the Fading Isles (?) Perhaps it breaks into Mercian, Iungard etc.

-Hawks

-Many more...

I just found it interesting and sought to share. When I think of Magvel I think of fat Lords sitting in beautiful coastal villas gorging themselves of grapes and dark wines.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 10:29:25 AM by Dystopian »

Constantine

• View Profile
Re: Major Cultures of the Game
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 12:02:46 PM »
-Northmen
Who are they?

-Men of the Fading Isles (?) Perhaps it breaks into Mercian, Iungard etc.

-Hawks
I think islanders are pretty much the same people but with some acquired cultural differences. 
[/size]
When I think of Magvel I think of fat Lords sitting in beautiful coastal villas gorging themselves of grapes and dark wines.
Don't forget degenerate pastimes like sodomy or philosophy.

To add to your list:
- Tetsuyama (now concentrated in Cuhibana)
- Sarantian (extinct)
- Cultist of Armok
- Cultist of Black Road (extinct)
- Romans (mainland subdivision of Hawks)

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 12:21:31 AM »
Who are they?
I think islanders are pretty much the same people but with some acquired cultural differences. 
Don't forget degenerate pastimes like sodomy or philosophy.

To add to your list:
- Tetsuyama (now concentrated in Cuhibana)
- Sarantian (extinct)
- Cultist of Armok
- Cultist of Black Road (extinct)
- Romans (mainland subdivision of Hawks)

Non of the three founding islands cultures share a common history. Iuna claim to be natives, Hawks were shipped wreaked upon the islands at the start of the game, and I forget Mercia's back story but I do recall they have a runic magic unknown to Hawks and Iuna. Tom's ruling family was of a separate culture again. In the start of the game there were three distinct cultures upon what is now known as Hawk island, two of which survive, Hawks and hunter culture of Ras Igilgili.

Most realms break down into smaller cultures anyway, for example within Hawks there are over arching laws derived from the history and lore of my own characters, but if I am being honest only 1 or 2 families even bother paying it lip service. Then you have groups like the Demesne of the Companions, the horse lords that comprise Rheged, the historical Hawks slaves of the Rusizkean Protectorate though perhaps that doesn't really count because it is both populated by myself and tied to the founding Hawk Lore.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Foxglove

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 03:21:13 AM »
Yes, Iuna/Iungard was founded by Andrew Calinus who was an extremely ancient First One who claimed to have been in the islands for a very long time. Iuna was built on the foundations of the ancient civilization of the Isles that had magic at the core of its culture. I believe illusion was a big part of the magic.

Mercia, on the other hand, was founded by First Ones who arrived in the islands on day 1, week 1, year 1 and landed in the vicinity of Bonrick. A semi-nomadic sea people, they had lived on a sort of flotilla of ships that had set out from the semi-mythical fog-shrouded isle of Avallach that is meant to be situated far to the west (off the edge of the map). Their religion is based more on ancestor worship than the gods (who they distrust since some of the gods tried to wipe out First Ones). Mercians also have magic, but it's a solid thing of iron and forges that involves runes on items such as amulets, armour, swords, and the like. It's purposely a contrast to the Iunan form of magic.

Some time ago, some of us (mainly me and Andrew) tried to make magic a defining characteristic of the islands as its always been the place in the game where its the strongest. That goes right back to Jason Lasar (Tom's High King of the Fading Isles) who lived on an island where sailors saw strange lights coming from it, and Lasar also used teleportation right at the start of the game to move characters to settlements across the isles.

Below the three main Isles cultures (Hawks, Iuna, and Mercia), you then have realms like Caladia, Wild Wood, Varanguard, and the Farvik League. Caladia I'm not too sure about it's culture as it started as an offshoot from Iuna and seems to share a similar culture. Wild Wood is basically a realm completely focused on nature and the laws of nature. Varanguard is defined by its place right at the edge of the world and sees itself as the last outpost of civilization before the vast expanse of nothing they believe lies in the western oceans. The Farvik League I've never been too sure about either.

So there are quite a few distinct cultures in the Isles that aren't too immediately apparent to outsiders.

There's also the Cursed Isle, which very few players probably now remember. It's the isle currently owned by Hawks nearest to the mainland. It was described as cursed by the old High King of the Fading Isles, who claimed it was a source of evil that corrupted every First One it touched. The Cursed Isle was directly responsible for the fall of the Fading Isles and the founding of the Grand Fate when Iuna, Hawks, and Mercia rebelled against the High King after he ordered Andrew Calinus to execute certain First Ones for having set foot upon the Cursed Isle.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 03:51:49 AM by Foxglove »
Standing for the responsible use of power since Year 1, Week 1, Day 1.
Fun fact: I wrote some of the text for the M&F crowdfunding campaign.
Favourite warm beverage: hot chocolate.

Dystopian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 11:27:10 PM »
So the Lowlands are almost gone and Ascalon owns land on the northern coast. I'm pretty sure thats unprecedented. What Strenvale just joined Ascalon, are Rothrik and Blancbaston the same? Rathgar is just a small Kingdom in the northwest. A pity though I'm sure they are still powerful. And the Imperium isn't just filled with Weaver's characters anymore, yay! This is a wild thought but maybe it'll be filled with some new interesting people instead of the masked dudes who don't let anyone do anything.

Demivar

• Purveyor of cunning plans.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 11:41:53 PM »
So the Lowlands are almost gone and Ascalon owns land on the northern coast. I'm pretty sure thats unprecedented. What Strenvale just joined Ascalon, are Rothrik and Blancbaston the same? Rathgar is just a small Kingdom in the northwest. A pity though I'm sure they are still powerful. And the Imperium isn't just filled with Weaver's characters anymore, yay! This is a wild thought but maybe it'll be filled with some new interesting people instead of the masked dudes who don't let anyone do anything.
I don't play Guy Blancbaston. As far as I understand it, Strenvale lost a couple of its core players (who I've RPed with and were major landholders) and as they had lost their relevance they joined Ascalon rather than becoming an ally. If you want to know who I play outside of Ascalon of any importance, send me a PM (preferably on the M&F community Discord)

https://discordapp.com/invite/7YpAhEh
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Radovid's like you
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: but then insane
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Dijkstra is like you

Dystopian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 03:28:43 AM »

I was looking at the Legendary Families section of the wiki and I've seen there aren't any. Who could be?
T
o be honest, I'd put Stonedman there even if he was a twat. Eirenikos, Symmachus, Calinus, Arescod, Lasar maybe. Lasar is an almost mythological name to some people. Like he never really existed.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 04:54:22 AM by Dystopian »

Weaver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 04:59:20 AM »
I was looking at the Legendary Families section of the wiki and I've seen there aren't any. Who could be?
T
o be honest, I'd put Stonedman there even if he was a twat. Eirenikos, Symmachus, Calinus, Lasar maybe. Lasar is an almost mythological name to some people. Like he never really existed.
This is a wild thought, but the masked dudes never prevented anyone from doing anything, which means you either were never a part of EI, thus you don't know what you talking about, or you one of the people who did something very stupid and got killed within days.
Stonedman was not a 'twat'. He was a great guy under a lot of pressure from those around him- he rarely if ever bothered anyone but everyone treated him as if he'd go out daily with his 'drone army' to obliterate people. Let's not spread rumors on the forum yeah? I am tired of this shit.

Dystopian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 05:27:58 AM »

Jesus. Yeah I post for the first time in a board in four months let me make all these accusations and try to quash discussion. Yay. No it isn't that serious, Stonedman gets hate because of the way he played. I played with some of his dudes and it was fun. Was he a good guy, sure. Did he play like an ass, certainly. And I called him a twat as an old guard forum shitpost type post, not even a funny post, get this insecure stick out of your ass Weaver no ones been "spreading rumors" about you for 120 days. Seriously man.

Sorry Weaver not everyone had fun in the EI, thats just a fact. Being you I don't think you are the best to have a perspective on that. Plenty of good parts about it, but there were bad parts to. It was like talking to an AI. You are literally one of the only(this is a tenuous statement, perhaps the only person) people who had a sense of power and have the choice of whether someone can do something or not. Otherwise you die. That's not fun :/. And if you are telling me tons of people live and played in the EI under your fun reign i'm already laughing.

Let me edit this in. You don't need to make it about slander, dude I can have an opinion. You are so quick to defend and judge. "How dare you think this, I am righteous and it was fun! Just don't be stupid lol"
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 05:41:38 AM by Dystopian »

Weaver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 06:25:30 AM »
Mate, you directly called me and the masked dudes uninteresting, also implying I was the only person in EI/HoO. I am sorry if I set your shit straight. It is not my fault, and under no circumstance was I obligated to help you understand the 'masked dudes', but I am sure you, like many others, never made an attempt to socialize with them, or even talk to them. So how can you call them 'AI' when you never even met them, unless it was at the end of a sword? Also LOLing hard about the insecurity. The rumors I referred to were about Stonedman, not me. Did I burst your bubble?
I did everything in my power to make everyone autonomous and do as they pleased, to the point that a Civil War broke out when I introduced an element to keep those powers in check and prevent them from declaring independence. I never told anyone what they cannot do, yet they always asked me whether or not they have permission to do something. So you are wrong, mate, and it further proves that you don't know what you are talking about.
Furthermore, there were hundreds of players in EI before the Civil War, and they all had a blast playing under my 'fun reign'. So laugh as much as you want, but you will never achieve the same amount of activity as I have. It was after the Civil War when everyone simultaneously agreed that HoO was made up religious fanatic drones (and I killed everyone) that EI was not as popular as it used to be. That, and the game going down for two weeks.
I never said anything along the lines of what you claim I said- I rarely defend myself or judge anyone- especially the latter. I'm a twat through and through, there is no denying that, and I won't say that I am not unreasonable at times. But you people need to get off riding Stonedman's ass. He is a great guy and always kept everything IC as far as I know. He was straighter than an arrow compared to 90% of the playerbase. For most people, you don't even have an opinion about Stonedman (or me for that matter) you are just repeating what someone else said.

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 10:59:25 AM »
As long as you are not violating the terms of service, this is no wrong way to play Might & Fealty.

If that means you and a few of your friends take up masks and monikers and scare the entire core of the map into being scared of your sword, do it.

If that means you use your characters to take of swaths of land from which to build and maintain your forces, so be it.

If you just want to roleplay being a sorcerer, do it.

Just, please, be civil about it. There's no need to call people twats or an ass or any other insulting or near-insult type names. We're all here to play and have fun, so can we do that, without me having to lock yet another topic because people forgot how to be civil?
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 11:03:31 AM »
T
o be honest, I'd put Stonedman there even if he was a twat. Eirenikos, Symmachus, Calinus, Arescod, Lasar maybe. Lasar is an almost mythological name to some people. Like he never really existed.

I've kind of got a rule that I'd never put my own family in the highest position. I'm not against the others, and since he's dead now, had Lasar asked, Andrew would've helped him kick Mercia's nobles off his retreat. No idea bout Vanessa though.

That said, rereading this topic makes me want to add player culture group systems in to the game.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Dystopian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 11:08:24 AM »
There was a quote here before a moderator removed it.

Andrew says move on you two. Drop it and move on. Who cares. Stop trying to win or have the last word.

Back to business:

That said, rereading this topic makes me want to add player culture group systems in to the game.

That would be really good honestly. I've had this feeling as well, like weird "Eastern European" and "Asian" cultures didn't feel right. Every area does by now have its own history and culture, in some form at least.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 11:21:53 AM by Andrew »

Foxglove

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 02:25:28 PM »
had Lasar asked, Andrew would've helped him kick Mercia's nobles off his retreat. No idea bout Vanessa though.

Had Jason Lasar returned to the isles (and been able to prove his credentials as the true Lasar), Aldric would probably have just given the old retreat back to him. Aldric always had mixed feelings about the rebellion and would rather have had the High King retain a role as ceremonial ruler. Aldric rebelled against the increasingly irrational demands of Jason Lasar (as Aldric saw them), not against the birthright of Lasar to be High King of the Fading Isles.

T

That depends on how you're defining legendary and also whether you're talking about an actual family, or just a character from a family. Jason Lasar would definitely be a legendary character, but would the family name be legendary? I'm not so sure. Same for Alexios Eirenikos, Tacitis Symmachus, and Roran of Arescod. I'd say the same about my Fox family. It's Aldric people have heard of and not the other members. Also, there are families that are famous within certain spheres of influence, but unknown in others.

In terms of an actual famous family (i.e. more than one generation) the main one I can think of is Calinus.

Standing for the responsible use of power since Year 1, Week 1, Day 1.
Fun fact: I wrote some of the text for the M&F crowdfunding campaign.
Favourite warm beverage: hot chocolate.

Demivar

• Purveyor of cunning plans.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 03:17:34 PM »
Had Jason Lasar returned to the isles (and been able to prove his credentials as the true Lasar), Aldric would probably have just given the old retreat back to him. Aldric always had mixed feelings about the rebellion and would rather have had the High King retain a role as ceremonial ruler. Aldric rebelled against the increasingly irrational demands of Jason Lasar (as Aldric saw them), not against the birthright of Lasar to be High King of the Fading Isles.

That depends on how you're defining legendary and also whether you're talking about an actual family, or just a character from a family. Jason Lasar would definitely be a legendary character, but would the family name be legendary? I'm not so sure. Same for Alexios Eirenikos, Tacitis Symmachus, and Roran of Arescod. I'd say the same about my Fox family. It's Aldric people have heard of and not the other members. Also, there are families that are famous within certain spheres of influence, but unknown in others.

In terms of an actual famous family (i.e. more than one generation) the main one I can think of is Calinus.
Roran properly played a dynasty of other characters and at various junctures attempted to expand those playing in the family. It’s also worth noting that Richard of Arescod is still the King of Ascalon, and in terms of a family name, I’d certainly say that the House of Arescod is very well known. Believe it or not, there is also a strange “Eastern” side of the map which doesn’t touch the Isles, yet have still done many things throughout history. At this stage House Plantagenet should be well known, and there are many members of the House.

Andrew defined what constitutes a suitable part of each category by a description for each on the wiki. All of the categories are properly marked, though it’s difficult to place particular families in the Legendary category. Whilst Jason Lasar provided the foundation for the Isles, it was the players that came after him that made impacts. Only those few directly impacted by the Lasars at the start of the game will properly remember Jason’s antics. For everyone else they’re just stories.

I’d argue that an amalgamation of Eirenikos and Symmarchus have had the greatest direct impact on the world, but as well known family names go I’d say that Calinus would top the list, since they’ve been in a lot of places alongside their rigid hold on the GF side of the Isles.
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Radovid's like you
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: but then insane
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Dijkstra is like you