Author Topic: Help Wanted: Map Editing Team  (Read 329 times)

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
Help Wanted: Map Editing Team
« on: May 21, 2017, 04:39:03 PM »
As some of you may be aware, it's on my list of things to change how settlements and estates are connected, and part of that requires that the map be overhauled with a significantly higher number of individual regions.

Before I go farther, I am NOT planning on expanding the map. I'm planning on shattering it. I want to take every region on the map and break it down to somewhere between a sixth and a tenth of it's current size (because some are larger than others).

The end goal is to allow a single settlement (town/city/fortress/whatever) to own multiple regions that may or may not have smaller settlements of their own. Of course, since we're looking at the map anyways, we could also go in and add a bunch of cliffs or even add in tributaries and creeks and deltas to rivers.

At minimum, I'll need people capable of installing PostgreSQL and QGIS on a machine of their own, following some instructions on how to setup the database and import the map tables, and how to actually edit the map information. QGIS editing itself, I have found to be very straightforward, but you'll need to experiement with it yourself. Given the size of the map, I'd like this to be a team project so people don't get burnt out, but I'm not in a huge hurry to get it done either.

If anyone is interested in helping to make the M&F map a more interesting thing, please let me know.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Constantine

• View Profile
Re: Help Wanted: Map Editing Team
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 01:02:31 PM »
Just how demanding these editors are hardware-wise?
Also, any chance we can have a new, prettier look on our map?

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 07:19:48 AM »
They're not graphically intensive, and I know a dual core @ 2.5GHz can run them. As for memory requirements, not certain. My lowest end system that I use has 24GB of RAM. The toll you'd be using is QGIS: http://www.qgis.org/en/site/index.html, if you'd like to test it out.

As for a new view, I know it's doable, but not how, yet. I'd like a prettier map as well.
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 07:30:49 AM »
Just how demanding these editors are hardware-wise?
Also, any chance we can have a new, prettier look on our map?

Sure find me an artist that works for free and we will be all set.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Tan dSerrai

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 10:08:04 AM »
I would volunteer to help - though be warned, I have no programming skills.

Still, I really like the idea of 'sub-regions' - and as I assume that its a lot of template editing I should be able to wrap my brain around it. Downloading Qgis now, will install and edit this post depending on that outcome....  :)

QGis is installed, I found the tutorial. Before I work through that, any tips on what I should look at in the tutorial? And what is the actual work you are wanting help for? Any templates I could use that you want implemented?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 10:49:52 AM by Tan dSerrai »

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 11:20:35 AM »
Right now, you're really only going to need to know how to edit and create features (QGIS lingo, not M&F lingo), and how feature nodes snap to each other (you'll have to enable this).

Tomorrow I'll figure out how to export the game's map files to a QGIS project, which will hopefully remove the need for an entire postgresql database to be stood up.

Tan dSerrai

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 08:40:33 PM »
Did read  a part of the tutorials...should be doable, though I admit being an optimist :)
Will await data from you guess it's best arranging the details via discord