Author Topic: Settlement Types that Determine What Can be Built  (Read 318 times)

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
Settlement Types that Determine What Can be Built
« on: May 18, 2017, 03:20:46 PM »
What does everything think about settlements having types that control what can be built there, and provide certain bonuses or penalties to different buildings or even enable or disable construction of certain buildings outright?
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Demivar

• Purveyor of cunning plans.
    • View Profile
Re: Settlement Types that Determine What Can be Built
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 03:29:02 PM »
Eeeeeh, not entirely sure. It sounds like a decent idea, but in reality it'd just mean that people that want to have pretty castles with a nice town get penalised for being un-militaristic.

What you could do, is plan on making it so that if you're industrialising loads of rich, metal producing grassland settlements with loads of food and metal, and using them to mass-produce gear, they stop being simultaneously a good mine and a good source of food and a good source of production.

Edit: It was an extreme example, but the way I envision a lot of realms is that you have the big castles with large towns, lords with their holds, and they are fed by a mixture of forest villages, and what would appear like farming villages, which are where most places' food comes from. My thinking is that right now, good settlements (ignoring capitals that are being paid for externally) can do everything
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 03:31:47 PM by Demivar »
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Radovid's like you
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: but then insane
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Dijkstra is like you

Velrun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 03:29:34 PM »
Why? Why not make the cultural packs actually worth something? First get rid of their link to real world cultures. Then give the cultures bonuses themselves. Later create a system that allows people to spend credits to make their own custom cultures. And finally allow large cities to have several cultural groups all living their, perhaps a dominate one along with smaller enclaves.

Constantine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 03:58:08 PM »
I like having settlements somewhat different. We already have a framework for allowed/disabled buildings in different terrains. Although I believe we should rework and improve that system a bit.
But I also think that settlements should be different due to player's decisions and not due to their geography only. As I already mentioned in top 10 ideas, I wouldn't mind settlements having building slots based on their size. Then a player could plan what buildings to have in each settlement and an imperial capital or baronial estate would be very much different from agricultural village or mining camp.

I kinda like Velrun's idea too, but it's a bit tangetial to this discussion. Maybe start a new thread on cultures redux.

willy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 08:07:34 PM »
I love the idea of culture packs opening a building or two. Don't care if it's tied into real life or if everythings worked to fantasy cultures. Maybe one can build a combo armor/bladesmith building, and another gets +5% food.

Restrictions on stone walls/fort/towers make sense in marshes, needing pasture for horses, it all seems legit. Gentle nudges into regions being distinctively different. I'd like to see more carrot (and less stick). Like little bonuses for archers trained in forests or cavalry trained in a town with a fairground.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 03:20:28 PM by willy »

Dystopian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 02:12:48 AM »
Maybe there should be a fertility system that goes deeper than biome? Like you can add irrigation systems etc that increase fertility but take up land used for market or something like that.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 04:40:41 AM »
Fertility for what? If we are adding complexity then I would argue that a singular concept of fertility is pointless. We already have irrigation but it is really only usable for those on rivers. We could maybe expand it for those on fresh water lakes, but in the end all it would do is make those highly desirable lands even more desirable. Besides which irrigation does nothing for fertility, it provides a source of water allowing you to grow crops or raise livestock that require more water then would naturally fall upon the fields. Fertility is down to things like organics in the soil, pH levels etc.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Dystopian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 05:18:01 AM »
I understand that but we aren't talking explicitly about realism here. Having pH levels in a game wouldn't be fun, it would just add more reasons why a certain settlement can produce more food than another and would add another aspect of improvement that a player could do for a given settlement. Thats why I suggested it. Right now its just a number without much basis behind it visibly besides biome.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 05:32:39 AM »
I understand that but we aren't talking explicitly about realism here. Having pH levels in a game wouldn't be fun, it would just add more reasons why a certain settlement can produce more food than another and would add another aspect of improvement that a player could do for a given settlement. Thats why I suggested it. Right now its just a number without much basis behind it visibly besides biome.

But why does is need anything behind it? It could be total random and still serve its purpose, and that is to make to otherwise identical settlements different and to provide "higher quality" settlements for realm to supposedly desire/fight over.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

willy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 06:54:45 AM »

Right now it seems like the game has a lot of abstracted numbers that cover these little bits. The 'source' number in an estate (for food) would include things like ph of soil, amount of arable land... even the amount of game and livestock in a region. -1000 metal production in a region probably means folk would be trying to build with as much wood peg/dowel as they could (making constructions take longer). It might help to give some flavor text for some of these numbers, but those abstract numbers seem pretty easy/efficient at getting the point across.

I do like the idea of being able to tweak your production numbers, though. Something as simple as finishing the 'focus' options for economic buildings would change things drastically; being able to pour peasants into a built fishery/lumberyard/mine to focus certain resources in an estate.