Author Topic: Auto-abandoning settlements: How long should we wait?  (Read 162 times)

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
Auto-abandoning settlements: How long should we wait?
« on: May 15, 2017, 12:28:10 AM »
So, the game already sets characters as slumbering after 21 days. What I'd like to do in order to make it more obvious where there is free land is to have these estates lose their lord after that time period. Maybe even sometime later have it lose it's realm membership as well. I'm tempted to not even have that give a message to anyone about it happening.

Now that I see its 21 days though, I'm thinking about cutting it to 14 then adding an abandonment of lordships an additional 2 weeks later. Regardless, your input is appreciated.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Demivar

• Purveyor of cunning plans.
    • View Profile
Re: Auto-abandoning settlements: How long should we wait?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 02:14:45 AM »
On your first point, I don't think that the game is in a good enough state to be ready to utilise that mechanic. When the playerbase grows a bit more (which it should, I consider current levels to be the baseline for the new age of M&F. (That age with updates 'n stuff))

The idea which you brought up again about making settlements independent rather than slumbered is interesting, as I'm assuming you want to make it so that opportunities appear more easily so that the game is a tad more welcoming. Whilst waiting for slumbering nobles shouldn't be a punitive process, that buffer time frame is quite useful, and it prevents the slumber of first ones to always immediately trigger a huge dog-piling session. As for slipping from realm control, I disagree. The lands should still be labelled as part of a certain realm, and this can also prevent confusion; particularly with new players. "Why are these people attacking me? This settlement is clearly independent." Laments the new player, perplexed as to why they're being cut to pieces.

The timings you've cited I also can't quite agree with. A lot of people go on 2-week holidays, and some people may not have the means or desire to access M&F whilst on holiday. Build in buffers on either side and that's almost the entire 3 week pre-slumber buffer period consumed. Even you ended up slumbering on many characters after a prolonged holiday, and I feel like 3 weeks to slumber is a good period of time. I'm not sure of the timings for a settlement turning independent, but I think that it might help to throw some numbers in the air as examples for how long various garrison sizes take to slumber away (or slumber down to a low point), so that any numbers can be compared with that.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 02:16:19 AM by Demivar »
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Radovid's like you
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: but then insane
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Dijkstra is like you

Constantine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 11:28:58 AM »
I like the idea.
I disagree with Demi on his first point. You can't be guided in your design decisions by the fact that some people are jerks and they'll attack noobs instead of talking to them and vassalizing them. Those players will always be jerks and they will also give noobs bad experience if they happen to interact. I mean, noobs already are being harassed when taking over slumbering towns, so what will even change in that department? Nothing really.
I'm a bit hesitant on timing, might need some additional thought put into it.

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 03:59:10 PM »
So, say we leave slumberblight at 3 weeks. A week later you could have the lord removed. A week after that you could have the realm association removed.

If, in 5 weeks, you can't find someone to replace the lord, is the realm really worthy of claiming that land as theirs? It should be fairly obvious they're in no rush to restore order.

I'm tempted to even expand this to include cancelling trade deals. If the settlement's people are taking down banners, why not stop sending goods too?

That said, I'd not be against tying this into the seneschal system, if people are onboard with that idea. Perhaps notifying the seneschal if the lord hasn't been seen in a couple weeks.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Constantine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 04:05:13 PM »
So, say we leave slumberblight at 3 weeks. A week later you could have the lord removed. A week after that you could have the realm association removed.
I think removing realm could use a different timer. Remember that the realm will realise that a settlement is in danger of being lost only when the lord's liege receives a notification that his vassal has fallen into slumber. I'm not sure two weeks is fair, especially if the realm is not super active to begin with. Maybe three?
I'm tempted to even expand this to include cancelling trade deals. If the settlement's people are taking down banners, why not stop sending goods too?
Absolutely.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 04:08:04 PM by Andrew »

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 04:06:09 PM »

If, in 5 weeks, you can't find someone to replace the lord, is the realm really worthy of claiming that land as theirs? It should be fairly obvious they're in no rush to restore order.

That said, I'd not be against tying this into the seneschal system, if people are onboard with that idea. Perhaps notifying the seneschal if the lord hasn't been seen in a couple weeks.

Maybe have the trade deals only canceled if they are one sided? And have resources be slightly weighted somehow, so say the mortals will accept 2 metal being sent out for every food in, and if its larger they reduce the amount they send, possibly different values for each region depending on something. And if there is nothing comes in then they canceled the tribute all together.