Author Topic: What if: you could appoint a seneschal?  (Read 290 times)

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
What if: you could appoint a seneschal?
« on: May 14, 2017, 07:11:59 PM »
So I know permissions will allow you to do basically anything the lord can, but what if you could appoint a seneschal for estates allowing you to grant lord-level access to an estate? For most things this would be the same as just having all permissions, but they'd also be able to manage permissions and even make knight offers. Ideally, they'd also be included on the auomatically made new knight conversations, allowing a second person to respond to these when you're not around.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 07:19:51 PM by Andrew »
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Demivar

• Purveyor of cunning plans.
    • View Profile
Re: What if: you could appoint a seneschal?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 07:15:25 PM »
Interesting, but probably not too pertinent.

If it could be done quickly it'd be a nice idea, but if it's labour-intensive then there may be other routes to pursue. I know a certain Willy who would like this feature, however.

Just gonna stalk the forums for a while and answer every post immediately, 'cause my thoughts are ever so important.
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Radovid's like you
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: but then insane
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Dijkstra is like you

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 07:21:05 PM »
Hm... Wonder how fast I can crank this out. In my mind, this sounds really simple.
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 07:23:47 PM »
I think this would work best as a realm wide thing, or well realm wide as in he gets access to all your estates if he is appointed seneschal. Not sure if you meant this already though or only per estate.

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 07:30:31 PM »
I was thinking per estate.

Gustav Kuriga

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 11:23:08 PM »
I would welcome this.

Constantine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 11:20:17 AM »
I don't like it. Inactive lords should slumber and lose their stuff. Seneschal mechanic will allow one active player to run the entire realm regardless of how active other players are and without corruption penalties.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 12:59:49 PM »
I don't like it. Inactive lords should slumber and lose their stuff. Seneschal mechanic will allow one active player to run the entire realm regardless of how active other players are and without corruption penalties.

Firstly if the Lord is slumbering, the Lord is slumbering. Given current mechanics the settlement would still lose militia, and if the independent settlement thing is implemented, it could well still trigger despite the presence of a Seneschal. Secondly we could limit how many settlements you could be Seneschal for.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Gustav Kuriga

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 10:24:31 PM »

Firstly if the Lord is slumbering, the Lord is slumbering. Given current mechanics the settlement would still lose militia, and if the independent settlement thing is implemented, it could well still trigger despite the presence of a Seneschal. Secondly we could limit how many settlements you could be Seneschal for.

Furthermore, I fail to see how it would have any effect on corruption penalties. This does not give the settlement to another character, just the control of permissions.

willy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 03:20:45 PM »
I know a certain Willy who would like this feature, however.

You ever know a Willy who didn't like to get into things?

I'm all for stewards and trust circles and trade towns. Permissions system works, just a bit wonky. I'd like an option to let anyone with less than 20 men inside, too. Is there a way to keep someone from getting mercenaries if they get inside?

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 04:03:31 PM »
Corruption penalties would still be determined by the lord's user's total settlement count.

Settlements going independent would work independent of the presence of a seneschal. If the region loses it's lord or realm due to inactivity of the lord, the seneschal association would also be dropped.

It'd be very easy to limit how many settlements you can be seneschal for. Logically, minor estates probably won't even have one. I was thinking a limit of 1, maybe 2 but probably 1, total, per character.

willy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 05:30:14 PM »
For a senechal I'd say 2 or 3 (estates or stewards). Family trust circles and whatnot, maybe having the king as a default member or something quirky. You probably can ignore little estates, but 2 or 3 cities as a hub-connection between tight allies. Stuff like a permission list of "Liege, family, folk I trust not to stab me in the back" seems to work ok, though. More of an aesthetic thing.

The public access towns is something I'd like to see developed. The permission restrictions should make that possible. It would just be neat to have a checkmark under 'newbies', 'thralls', and then 'letting strangers into town under terms where they can't really f' you.".