Author Topic: What if: you could keep people from leaving?  (Read 223 times)

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
What if: you could keep people from leaving?
« on: May 14, 2017, 06:36:23 PM »
A crazy idea I just had: what if you could deny people from exiting your city?
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
Re: What if: you could keep people from leaving?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 06:42:04 PM »
I was just thinking about this one earlier today aswell XD. Or well, not so much thinking as just a quick thought and then forgot it.

Demivar

• Purveyor of cunning plans.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 06:44:09 PM »
Yes.

I thought about it a few times in the past but never mentioned it, but I really like any methods for capturing/holding first ones hostage without risk of accidentally killing them. There's a difference between denying someone the ability to leave and actively attacking them to make sure. "I'm sorry, I can't let you leave" would anger people but would not be disgraceful as it would be if you attacked someone in your own hall.

It'd need to be balanced to a degree, and by that I simply mean working out how someone would escape from that (I'd hope through combat, rather than a dice roll). Would defences be important then? Would the person trying to escape have to win a battle against the garrison to flee? In which case you'd be assuming that they'd have to kill, wound and rout the entire garrison to escape.

But yeah, I really like it, and wished that we could bend time and space so that I had it a few days ago.
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Radovid's like you
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: but then insane
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Dijkstra is like you

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 06:50:18 PM »
What if it was a fight, but you would only fight part of the garrison and anyone defending the town? Depending on how many men you control that amount would increase or have a chance to increase by some amounts. Because if you are alone sneaking out shouldn't be as difficult, and you would maybe have a decent chance to get discovered by say 2-3 mortals if the walls have a lot of militia. But also at the same time a chance that more or less get alerted, or none even. Chances getting worse for you with more militia and more personal entourage/soldiers.

willy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 07:36:31 PM »
A crazy idea I just had: what if you could deny people from exiting your city?

I like it, make kind of a way to set traps. As long as a person could fight their way out, I'm all for.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 05:03:09 AM »
It only makes sense that any town able to deny entry, already has the infrastructure to deny exit. Further I would like entry permission to be set up that would allow entry of First One, but force their troops to wait outside. Obviously that takes a bit more work to implement but I think it would be a interesting and useful addition.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Constantine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 11:21:37 AM »
I'm all for crazy ideas but please elaborate on what we're trying to achieve with it.

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 04:07:34 PM »
Prison cities. Trapping people in a city in order to hunt them. Being evil. Stuff.

The more I think about this the more complex it seems. You'd have to add logic to the travel system to understand that a settlement lets someone leave, then make it dependent on the size of force they have. More solders = harder to leave if denied. Few to none, small chance you just slip by. If soldiers can be left at the gate, heh. That just sounds like a mess to code, but interesting.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Velrun

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 03:59:03 PM »
Prison cities. Trapping people in a city in order to hunt them. Being evil. Stuff.

The more I think about this the more complex it seems. You'd have to add logic to the travel system to understand that a settlement lets someone leave, then make it dependent on the size of force they have. More solders = harder to leave if denied. Few to none, small chance you just slip by. If soldiers can be left at the gate, heh. That just sounds like a mess to code, but interesting.

Why not just force them to attack the settlement to leave, much as you to enter. But lower the fortification bonuses.