Author Topic: Medic/Wounded-Care Entourage  (Read 253 times)

willy

• View Profile
Medic/Wounded-Care Entourage
« on: May 04, 2017, 07:06:26 AM »
I figured an Academy or School would be good to produce medics that help keep wounded from dying. Field surgeons and such.

Camp Follower or Priest might work too. Extra people just washing wounds and linens would make a difference on infections/fevers/etc an army in the field succumbed to.

Dorian

• Playing since 2015.
    • View Profile
Re: Medic/Wounded-Care Entourage
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 08:54:24 AM »
Sounds legit. The game always lacked a healer or something similar.

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 09:57:08 AM »
I'm not against adding in logical entourage, but if I add healers, I'm going to make it hurt more if you don't have them :)
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Constantine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 11:54:18 AM »
I'm not against adding in logical entourage, but if I add healers, I'm going to make it hurt more if you don't have them :)
That's just bad design.  :-\
Just make entourage require hefty payment and be killable in battles. I would even rework entourage members to be actual units like soldiers with exp and equipment.

willy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 01:03:34 PM »

It would be neat to have mercenary entourage. If you don't want to tweak the entire engine of the game to make wounds hurt harder, maybe just make healers tougher to get/keep. A weekly pay entourage member that pops up like a mercenary seems like it would work. Make them more scarce and expensive to balance the effect you want them to have. It's a feature that could be mostly useless and still add a bit to the game. Something that would really help would be if you could get healers to treat specific people.

What might work too is something like 'bandages' camp followers resupply with. Would be neat if I could treat my elite swordsman and let the fodder bleed. How many bandages a follower can hold and how useful they are could balance it's effect, but the aim is to give people hope that bad-ass Mgee will pull through his wounding.

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 03:46:23 PM »
I never said it'd be major, just that there'd be a difference.

Making the game understand what non-combatants are could be interesting, and also very difficult. Hm.

Bandages as an equipment or resource is an interesting idea as well.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

willy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 11:19:00 AM »
The more I think about it, the more I'd be willing to give for a chance to heal specific soldiers than I would for blanket healing. I'm not sure how much 1 camp follower adds to your feed/travel cost, but I'd keep a dozen followers with 1 held bandage each for a chance to save a handful of my best troops. Even a 10-20% better chance would seem worth it. You could even overachieve with both. "Bandages" to boost heal-chance on individuals with resupply; 'healers' for a general +5-10% chance for everyone to heal.

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 12:38:32 PM »
What about bandages/medicine just straight up removing 1 bleed from the soldier it was used on? And it can only be used once on each soldier until they are healthy again, after which the next time they get wounded you can use it again.
Or alternativly, im not sure if 3 bleed gives a higher chance of death every time that is checked, or only makes it last longer. So if it is the last longer bit you could make it so that you can only use bandages on soldiers with 1 bleed, because if there isnt a higher % to die on each check then using a bandage with more than 1 bleed is a silly thing to do. Or possibly setting some soldiers to use bandages and others to not use them, and then they do it automatically when they have 1 bleed.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 06:09:24 AM »
What about bandages/medicine just straight up removing 1 bleed from the soldier it was used on? And it can only be used once on each soldier until they are healthy again, after which the next time they get wounded you can use it again.
Or alternativly, im not sure if 3 bleed gives a higher chance of death every time that is checked, or only makes it last longer. So if it is the last longer bit you could make it so that you can only use bandages on soldiers with 1 bleed, because if there isnt a higher % to die on each check then using a bandage with more than 1 bleed is a silly thing to do. Or possibly setting some soldiers to use bandages and others to not use them, and then they do it automatically when they have 1 bleed.

I am not a fan of direct reductions. Changing the chance for loss is my preferred thing. Similarly I would prefer an actual entourage unit rather then just having camp followers haul around bandages, but then I am all for completely reworking camp followers anyway into some sort of slightly more realistic baggage train and quartermaster system, but perhaps that is too organised for the medieval age we sort of implement.

Regardless I would like to see most entourage become attached to military units when we implement that. That would automatically give you better control over whom gets fed from the food you have and healed from the healers.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Constantine

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 02:07:41 PM »
I prefer the M&B way. Every unit has a chance to survive even multiple wounds while medics just slightly increase those chances.

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 04:12:55 PM »
Possibly medics could then just reduce the frequency of checks for if they die or not? Or speed up the time between losing a wound? Or reducing the chances of death on each check?

Personally I would prefer a combination of the last two, as that I feel like represents what a doctor or medic actually does best.