Author Topic: Bandits and Inns  (Read 413 times)

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
Bandits and Inns
« on: April 22, 2017, 05:41:46 PM »
Can bandits not access inns and get mercenaries? I heard this was possible, but has it been removed or was it never a feature? If it was removed then why?

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
Re: Bandits and Inns
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 08:49:52 PM »
Pretty sure this was removed because people were abusing it to make bandits into forces that could topple empires (or something).

It's entirely possible bandits might be rightout scrapped in the near future, or just as possible we'll rework them into something more interesting.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 08:54:33 PM »
Pretty sure this was removed because people were abusing it to make bandits into forces that could topple empires (or something).

It's entirely possible bandits might be rightout scrapped in the near future, or just as possible we'll rework them into something more interesting.
Personaly I find bandits boring aswell, but really just wanted to try out some RP with them and having a home base and such. But honestly, they are basically a dumbed down First One. You could play a First One just like a bandit, except that they would be able to actually use inns and such, and take over towns to use as "safe" places, and they would actually have their stats and such, and not just a long list of "died", "died" etc.

Dorian

• Playing since 2015.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 08:58:42 PM »
Yup, bandits should go away. Alternative to spark random battles would be to introduce some sort of artificial roaming marauders or something like that.

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 10:45:26 PM »
Btw, can you atleast assign troops to bandits? Or is there really absolutely no way to gain troops as a bandit and almost no reason to interact with First Ones?

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 11:04:54 PM »
Btw, can you atleast assign troops to bandits? Or is there really absolutely no way to gain troops as a bandit and almost no reason to interact with First Ones?

Due to abuse you can not. Also if you travel too far from your soliders home town they will start to desert. Thank those realms whom used to grab bandits and equip them with massive armies to fight shadow wars.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 12:01:40 AM »
I'll just resign to literally burning a settlement down to the ground then... it's actually rather enjoyable.

Demivar

• Purveyor of cunning plans.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 12:17:46 AM »
I'll just resign to literally burning a settlement down to the ground then... it's actually rather enjoyable.
Or you could not.
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Radovid's like you
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: but then insane
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Dijkstra is like you

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 12:23:13 AM »

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 09:25:36 PM »
Btw, about burning buildings down. If you also reduce settlement pop to below the required amount, will they stop repairing it or can they still repair it?

Cipheron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 09:44:59 PM »
An alternative idea is that bandits get the troops that have deserted from slumberers, instead of nonsense troops. So you get bandits arising in regions where the government is in decay, giving more incentive to recruit fresh knights.

Demivar

• Purveyor of cunning plans.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 10:11:46 PM »
An alternative idea is that bandits get the troops that have deserted from slumberers, instead of nonsense troops. So you get bandits arising in regions where the government is in decay, giving more incentive to recruit fresh knights.
Whether or not that'd be viable, it's an interesting idea.

The issue in general I don't think is providing an incentive to recruit fresh knights, it's about providing incentives for new players to play the game.

I was going to flesh out this response but fuck it, I'll make a new thread.

22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Radovid's like you
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: but then insane
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Dijkstra is like you

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 10:23:01 PM »

Seems a bit silly though, atleast from a gameplay perspective. You dont want bandits in inactive areas, you want them to cause chaos in active areas. And this is also prone to troops having home regions all over the place. Honestly I think its best to scrap bandits in general, and possibly make some design choices that can lead to people playing bandit characters with their normal First Ones. That is if you want that kind of stuff in the game.

Cipheron

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 11:02:23 PM »
Where troops are deserting from however, are recently slumbered towns. After a while they will be empty. The most likely parts are on the edge of a populated zone.

It's just a nice idea, the area recently slumbered so marauders start popping up, which would draw attention to the region that it otherwise wouldn't get.

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 11:13:13 PM »
Where troops are deserting from however, are recently slumbered towns. After a while they will be empty. The most likely parts are on the edge of a populated zone.

It's just a nice idea, the area recently slumbered so marauders start popping up, which would draw attention to the region that it otherwise wouldn't get.
It makes sense from a realism perspective. But from a gameplay perspective it is rather silly as I said, you want bandits in active areas to cause trouble and interact with First Ones. And noone is going to notice a bandit hanging around in an inactive area, so he wont be dealt with generally, which is the opposite of what you want.