Author Topic: Multiple Evade Exploit  (Read 343 times)

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
Multiple Evade Exploit
« on: April 19, 2017, 03:14:12 AM »
Since it seems that certain groups within the community persists to use this exploit, I will repeat once again. It is intended that you only get one attempt to evade any single battle. I am aware that is it currently very easy to avoid the check Tom put in place to restrict this behavior, but since we can't update the live server at this time there is little I can do to correct the oversight.

That does NOT mean it is okay to continue to take advantage of this. I hope this will be the last time this has to be bought up.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Cipheron

• View Profile
Re: Multiple Evade Exploit
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 08:23:14 AM »
Is it actually indicated to players that they're not supposed to click evade if it's available?

If the game allows you to click evade during a battle and there's a cooldown on using it, then players probably assume that's the intended behavior.

Not having seen the code nor having heard what Tom intended, i haven't heard a whiff of this being an exploit before.

~~~

EDIT: ah I think I get what you could be talking about. I was thinking you meant it's not ok to try to "Disengage" more than one, which I found baffling.  So some players are not actually pushing the Evade button, they're using a workaround/hack. Yeah if that's a thing, then it sounds like a high priority to patch that.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:40:26 AM by Cipheron »

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 08:39:21 AM »
Is it actually indicated to players that they're not supposed to click evade if it's available?

If the game allows you to click evade during a battle and there's a cooldown on using it, then players probably assume that's the intended behavior.

I've never read the code, how would someone like me by supposed to know that Tom meant evade to only tried once per battle? This is the first whiff I've ever heard of it being an exploit.

Beyond the fact that it has been discussed in great detail on the forums before by Tom? When the code DOES work yes you do get a message that indicated you can't evade twice. There is no cool down for its use, if you know what you are doing you can bypass the restriction soon as the evade ends. If you use the automatic evade it will only attempt to do so once. Logically why would Tom make evade work multiple times thus majorly favoring those who are online a lot letting them have multiple chances?

I'm not going to detail how the buy works, but unfortunately it is a simple enough problem that it is quite possible to trigger it incidentally. For reference see http://forum.mightandfealty.com/index.php/topic,3637.msg29399.html#msg29399

Cipheron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 08:41:33 AM »
People who haven't read all the year+ old forum threads would be unaware of there being an evade bug thing. I was thinking you meant Disengage option, which, though it's been a while, sometimes lets you try again a few hours later.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:44:14 AM by Cipheron »

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 08:42:13 AM »
People who haven't read all the year+ old forum threads would be unaware of there being an evade bug thing.

Hence why I am posting?

Cipheron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 08:45:04 AM »
yup i got confused between the in-battle disengage and evade. sorry.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 08:50:26 AM »
yup i got confused between the in-battle disengage and evade. sorry.

No, the problem is I use the terms interchangeably, since all evade does is automatically trigger disengage. The bug is with disengage and it is not time based, you are simply accidentally triggering the bug. It is probably not a great idea for me to explain how the bug works, but it is easy enough to trigger accidentally. If it was meant to be a cool down the cool down would be in your action list with a defined time, just as other cool downs are.

Constantine

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 11:50:44 PM »
First time I've heard about this. I think it actually prevents you from evading after your initial evade failed.
But even there is a way to re-evade, you can't expect to solve the issue by a stern post on the forum. We know for a fact that not all players read the forums.
Furthermore, if the game allows certain behaviour and does not state anywhere this behaviour is frowned upon, you can't put the blame on players.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 02:35:36 AM »
First time I've heard about this. I think it actually prevents you from evading after your initial evade failed.
But even there is a way to re-evade, you can't expect to solve the issue by a stern post on the forum. We know for a fact that not all players read the forums.
Furthermore, if the game allows certain behaviour and does not state anywhere this behaviour is frowned upon, you can't put the blame on players.

And yet due to issues with access to the current live server I can neither correct the bug, which was introduced about a year ago and then partially fixed by Tom, nor change the wording on any of the pages to reflect the issue, so what I am left with is making a forum post. You can only do what you can do. Notice I'm not threatening to ban or punish people here.