Author Topic: Soldiers battle report  (Read 739 times)

Amble

• View Profile
Soldiers battle report
« on: April 22, 2017, 02:46:26 AM »
I had this idea of one hopefully small change which might improve the game a little (at least in my eyes). I love that as a new player you get the challenge of trying to discover as much as you can about the realms and their histories. And as a new player it's great to get a town of your own and maybe a little realm to invest in. And the names and experience and logs of soldiers help you really care about them when you only have a few. A way to improve both aspects would be to allow the owner of a soldier to read the battle report of a battle that the soldier was part of even if the noble wasn't. I mean, it's reasonable that the soldier should be able to tell me which nobles fought and who won etc. This would help me learn about the history and politics around me better, it would give me a reason to care more about particular soldiers - for the stories they tell. And you might find some soldiers who know about such famous battles that they are as valuable as historians as they are as warriors.

A down side potentially is that it makes it even easier for experts studying the combat mechanics to gain the upper hand. But this seems like a realistic mechanic to me and this con is probably outweighed by the pros. 

Anyway it's just a feature I thought might improve the game and might not be too difficult to implement.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
Re: Soldiers battle report
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 04:34:33 AM »
I had this idea of one hopefully small change which might improve the game a little (at least in my eyes). I love that as a new player you get the challenge of trying to discover as much as you can about the realms and their histories. And as a new player it's great to get a town of your own and maybe a little realm to invest in. And the names and experience and logs of soldiers help you really care about them when you only have a few. A way to improve both aspects would be to allow the owner of a soldier to read the battle report of a battle that the soldier was part of even if the noble wasn't. I mean, it's reasonable that the soldier should be able to tell me which nobles fought and who won etc. This would help me learn about the history and politics around me better, it would give me a reason to care more about particular soldiers - for the stories they tell. And you might find some soldiers who know about such famous battles that they are as valuable as historians as they are as warriors.

A down side potentially is that it makes it even easier for experts studying the combat mechanics to gain the upper hand. But this seems like a realistic mechanic to me and this con is probably outweighed by the pros. 

Anyway it's just a feature I thought might improve the game and might not be too difficult to implement.

Considering the code is publically available these days, there is little concerns about people studying reports to learn the battle system.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

willy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 05:39:00 AM »
If you want to put a limitation on battle report information, maybe give rough estimates for people not involved? Like, good ol' Terry there can tell you about the siege of Dubh Dun....but he was a bit busy watching his friends get pincushioned to really count troops.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 05:40:37 AM »
If you want to put a limitation on battle report information, maybe give rough estimates for people not involved? Like, good ol' Terry there can tell you about the siege of Dubh Dun....but he was a bit busy watching his friends get pincushioned to really count troops.

Of a much higher priority would be to give you access to battle reports of settlements you own and perhaps battle reports for battles within your interaction distance that you did not participate in.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 06:19:19 AM »
I don't think it'd be hard to set it up so battle reports track lord and sharing information.

Lord would get all of it, shared would just be numbers / result.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)