Author Topic: Something That Probably Shouldn't Happen: The Realm  (Read 876 times)

Cipheron

• View Profile
Re: Something That Probably Shouldn't Happen: The Realm
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2017, 06:11:04 PM »

I doubt this world for one has 18 as the age of being adult. Because that is really only the case in the modern world

The idea people were married off at e.g. 12 and having babies isn't actually very historically correct. For example, the average age of puberty for females has FALLEN 5 years just since 1920, due to nutrition.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2012/oct/21/puberty-adolescence-childhood-onset

In 1840 in England the average was about 16.5 years for onset of puberty, and it was falling about 4 months per decade right through the 1800s. Norway, which was less economically developed had the average first period for girls at 17 years at that time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puberty#Historical_shift

So, back "in the day" when people lived feudal existences, puberty would have started around the age of 17-18. Today for comparision, the start of puberty is around 10 years old. There was basically no such thing as your "teen years" (as we know them) back then, as most people hit sexual maturity around the time they were also considered an adult. Which was 18, not 12, as fake history would have us believe.

When they talk about marriages of under-aged people, those people were not considered adults engaged in an adult relationship, those were effectively betrothals and living arrangements. People lived in large extended families back then, so it wasn't like you had this dude with his underage wife just going for it. You'd have the husband's family also living there, with all the female relatives etc, and the young wife would be looked after by them and expected to work in the home learning from the other women. Most people lived in fairly close-knit living arrangements with their extended familes too, so you wouldn't get much "alone time" with your young wife, or any privacy. Unless you want your mom and dad and grandparents, unmarried aunts and sisters etc listening in.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 06:25:57 PM by Cipheron »

Demivar

• Purveyor of cunning plans.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2017, 06:15:14 PM »
First ones aren't people, they're first ones. It doesn't matter what the people of the time did, I'm not a personal advocate of having characters remain as children for 4 and a half RL years.
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Radovid's like you
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: but then insane
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Dijkstra is like you

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2017, 06:25:28 PM »
The idea people were married off at 12 and having babies isn't actually very historically correct. For example, the average age of puberty for females has FALLEN 5 years just since 1920, due to nutrition.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2012/oct/21/puberty-adolescence-childhood-onset

In 1840 in England the average was about 16.5 years for onset of puberty, and it was falling about 4 months per decade right through the 1800s. Norway, which was less developed has average first period for girls at 17 years at that time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puberty#Historical_shift

So, back "in the day" when people lived feudal existences, puberty would have started around the age of 17-18. Today for comparision, the start of puberty is around 10 years old. There was basically no such thing as your "teen years" (as we know them) back then, as most people hit sexual maturity around the time they were also considered an adult. Which was 18, not 12, as fake history would have us believe.

When they talk about marriages of under-aged people, those people were not considered adults engaged in an adult relationship, those were effectively betrothals and living arrangements. People lived in large extended families back then, so it wasn't like you had this dude with his underage wife just going for it. You'd have the husband's family also living there, with all the female relatives etc, and the young wife would be looked after by them and expected to work in the home learning from the other women. Most people lived in fairly close-knit living arrangements with their extended familes too, so you wouldn't get much "alone time" with your young wife, or any privacy. Unless you want your mom and dad and grandparents, unmarried aunts and sisters etc listening in.

Huh, TIL.

Though this doesn't really matter for the current thing. People can still rule even before hitting puberty for example. Also i'm perfectly aware that the marriages of 12 year olds and such are bethrothals. (Didn't know about the puberty thing though)

Cipheron

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2017, 06:27:56 PM »
Yeah, the 12 year thing mainly comes from legal decisions that monarchs could rule at 12, rather than from any sort of investigation of what life was like for normal people. Normal people get short-shrift in traditional histories.

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2017, 06:40:16 PM »
Yeah, I think normal people were often considered children even in their twenties right? (Well, nobles aswell. Just that they might have ruled countries and led armies into battle at that age.)

Though even then, we aren't actually talking about normal people, not even normal mortal nobles. :P

willy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2017, 06:01:12 PM »
A place to call their own...small begginings for the small clan 'o Willy Givings....

I think I'll start small. A quirky little place...with a few too many signposts and towers...a special quarantine for my low humor.

I still wanna make a kind of light hearted backwater realm/county. This will just be, well....The Taint.

willy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2017, 12:36:26 PM »
Steeples fingers in contemplation. Soon the seahorse shall kiss the shaft, and a ancestral homeland will be born. Checks map. Damn...Tor Dun and Strenvale did look like a seahorse a month back, at least.

Not gonna go full Tor, though. A little barony or county for Givenses within a larger barbarian hierarchy. I probably will keep the wacky stuff to one estate and a jester character, innuendo and quirkiness more common.