Author Topic: Something That Probably Shouldn't Happen: The Realm  (Read 1169 times)

Demivar

• Purveyor of cunning plans.
    • View Profile
Re: Something That Probably Shouldn't Happen: The Realm
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 01:42:24 AM »
Hm. That might even give us a solution to The Arescod Problem. The rabbits shall breed no more.
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Radovid's like you
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: but then insane
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Dijkstra is like you

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 12:42:23 PM »
It's no worse than being boiled in oil etc. And castration would have a real game effect, any male (only) who is castrated cannot be the father of new children.

Considering death doesn't stop you from spawning new children, I doubt that something as minor as losing a part of your anatomy will.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 12:54:41 PM »
Hm. Actually, may be something worth adding to the battle overhaul, is actually have major wounds tracked, and have it affect how a first one fights. Like, if you lose your hand, you can't use that hand anymore to hold an item, or if you take a serious wound to your leg it limits your mobility.

Following this logic, you could actually have the game check to see if you still have the necessary bits to spawn children when a character is made as well.

Dunno if it'd ever go that far though, because then we'd have to use some crazy explanation why you can have a child spawn from dead parents, and that just sounds annoying to explain.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 01:00:19 PM »
Hm. Actually, may be something worth adding to the battle overhaul, is actually have major wounds tracked, and have it affect how a first one fights. Like, if you lose your hand, you can't use that hand anymore to hold an item, or if you take a serious wound to your leg it limits your mobility.

Following this logic, you could actually have the game check to see if you still have the necessary bits to spawn children when a character is made as well.

Dunno if it'd ever go that far though, because then we'd have to use some crazy explanation why you can have a child spawn from dead parents, and that just sounds annoying to explain.

Indeed, and without being able to spawn children from dead parents you can not establish non-game ancestors. I suppose you could make it so only ancestors have that ability though.

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 02:21:50 PM »
Maybe we shouldn't be able to spawn children to non-ancestor dead characters though? Might do something intresting, and it could make it so that you could actually make a family line go extinct, or so to say.
Though live characters who get castrated or just lose the whole thing should still be able to adopt I would say, though maybe that should only be able to happen to already live characters. Could create some intresting political situations i'd say, where some people might not recognize the adoption and so oppose their claim to the throne or something.

Demivar

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 03:04:55 PM »
It's worth noting that not all characters are stated/created in M&F. By preventing the creation of related characters due to death or other means, you're effectively forcing players to create/state all of their characters/children/other relatives when they might not want to. If people felt that their character was at risk of something happening, they'd have to create a child for them long before it's relevant, purely to prevent unfortunate turns of events.

For slumbered characters, the same principle applies. People make a habit of chopping up slumbered First Ones. That'd set the precedent that slumbering players, if none of their characters survived their hiatus they'd have to create a new dynasty.

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 03:58:12 PM »
That's true I guess. I did just create a new First One to be the son of an old one who got chopped up around year 8 I think.
Though I think it would be worth it come up with a good way to deal with having castration or such in the game (as well as limb loss and other permanent injuries that not even First One magic can heal) and also be able to have new characters who are children of dead characters and castrated characters. Though there may be value in just allowing people to create characters as children to dead ones and castrated ones anyways, and make it their choice to roleplay something. If they want to have a castrated character adopt a son as a heir (might be a good thing to be able to adopt already created characters), then that could be their choice. Or they could also roleplay that they already had a son, but he was just not there but was ratehr studying or training under the mentorship of some distant First One maybe. And same with dead characters. 

Honestly yeah, that might be best really, and fall in line with Tom's vision of as much freedom as possible too.

willy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2017, 04:14:33 PM »
I'm now just imaging people declaring a holy crusade to castrate Tor Phallus, and then taking all the settlements representing the balls but leaving the rest XD.
What I'll do, is make Jokulvikra my "tribute town". You wanna come f me up, well, castrate my realm and take that hilariously placed town. I'll send all my tribute to you there if I can't defend my manhood. I'll tell other realms to leave my good sized hinterland alone, everyone go fight in Jokulvikra for muh tribute/honor.

Maybe we shouldn't be able to spawn children to non-ancestor dead characters though? Might do something intresting, and it could make it so that you could actually make a family line go extinct, or so to say.
Though live characters who get castrated or just lose the whole thing should still be able to adopt I would say, though maybe that should only be able to happen to already live characters. Could create some intresting political situations i'd say, where some people might not recognize the adoption and so oppose their claim to the throne or something.
I dont really think anything stops a character from RP'ing a character as the son of someone not on their relations list. Illegitimate sons, hidden scions, etc. Other characters may not take kindly to it, cause there is no 'record' of it in game. They'd essentially be someone claiming to be someones child, but no records exist/kept for some reason.

Also brings me to something realm-shape-related. How loose are the views on marriages and sexings? Tor [insert some german root for "Funny Shape"] will contain a pair of polyamorous free spirits. Do they need to be sly with propositions or can they swing free? Does it vary regionally/culturally?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 04:32:23 PM by willy »

Demivar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2017, 04:40:04 PM »
It'd be an un-necessary restriction. Sure, people can RP having relatives without the game knowing, but what benefit does that cause?

My 'main' character has never told anyone what relatives he may or may not have, if he suddenly died, why should I be limited as to what characters I can spawn in the future?

A good example (again) is Roran's Arescod dynasty. He did a lot of stuff with that, creating legitimate children and bastards where appropriate, killing them off and making things interesting. After his first quit (which was understandable) he wiped more or less the entire dynasty bar Richard. When he returned, he revealed 'The Red Knight' which was a bastard of a, you guessed it, dead character. Whilst slumbering, the Red Knight died.

Once we'd decided not to throw Ascalon onto the corpse wagon, we spoke about a few things, one of which being dynastic descendants. We looked through the dynasty, and Roran had free reign to do what he wanted, potentially resurrecting different subsets of his dynasty. In the end, Richard seemed like the best character to have offspring of, but that's besides the point. If such a system were in place, he'd be barred from every branch of his dynasty excluding Richard's.

We had the ability for Roran to flaunt a few ideas. He even wanted to produce a pair of twins, one male and one female and to hand them to 2 specific characters, but in the end made one given how the climate was changing. It'd just be a limiting factor, really.

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2017, 04:57:09 PM »
Adoptions are on the TODO list. After families have a matriarch/patriarch.

And Demivar's hit it on the head why I don't want to restrict people's abilities to make new characters the child of others. It limits them, possibly unfairly.
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2017, 05:13:38 PM »
Yeah, I considered it in my post aswell that it may be best for the game by far to let people have that freedom.

Though I think a good thing to consider for the future would be some form of system to gain the traits that we currently have and maybe play around with First One babies aswell. Then you could have a choice for if you create a baby/child, who will then maybe mature over time. And you could also choose to create an older First One with experience. The difference being that with the older one you can't choose any traits or customize, it's all done. But with the young ones you may be able to influence what traits they get somehow. And then they could mature after say a few ingame years? Maybe 2? Seeing as First Ones are better in every other way I think it would be also fair to assume that they become physically mature quicker than humans.

Once something like that is in the game (if ever), then castration might be a thing. Where a castrated First One can't have a baby First One but can have an older First One who was a lost child or child who was in training or something. Possibly we could also have First Ones be able to regrow limbs and become "un-castrated" over time, say an in-game year? Which might mean that they couldn't create a baby First One during that period but could afterwards. 

Just some thoughts for the future of the game. (And I know traits don't do anything yet :P)

Cipheron

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2017, 05:25:34 PM »

The child spawns as an *adult* though, on horseback, with a full set of plate armor, broadsword and shield.

If that was the literal moment of *birth* it would make less sense, they would have to be like Greek gods bursting out of the womb fully formed and armed for battle.

It actually makes much more sense to presume that their birth was 18 game years prior to the actual date, and since the game is only in year 13, all First Ones were actually born before the game started.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 05:29:59 PM by Cipheron »

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2017, 05:36:04 PM »
Allowing children characters that age up as time progresses is on my TODO list as well.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2017, 05:44:07 PM »
The child spawns as an *adult* though, on horseback, with a full set of plate armor, broadsword and shield.

If that was the literal moment of *birth* it would make less sense, they would have to be like Greek gods bursting out of the womb fully formed and armed for battle.

It actually makes much more sense to presume that their birth was 18 game years prior to the actual date, and since the game is only in year 13, all First Ones were actually born before the game started.

Yes we should probably change the event description. But then again two character could have met for the first time 5 minutes ago and spawn an adult child between them :) So there are plenty of cases were none of it makes sense unless we wave our hands about magic. I mean whom even says First Ones have a child stage, or that the method of reproduction in any way resembles our own.

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2017, 05:48:34 PM »

I doubt this world for one has 18 as the age of being adult. Because that is really only the case in the modern world, and this isn't even our world.
And as I said, First Ones are superior to mortals in every other way, so it would make sense if they also mature faster (it would also make for better gameplay), I could easily see First Ones maturing in 2 in-game years, or 4. The lower you go the more fun it is for the player id say, though too low and it might be too difficult to affect the child's traits if there would be anything like that.
Also, as De-Legro said, who is to say that they have a child phase at all? It might even be that the child phase is more of a phase for their mind to mature. Basically they would birth as a baby, but would quickly grow to adult size in maybe days, and after that they might take some time to fully develop mentally and learn the ways of the world and such.