Author Topic: Something That Probably Shouldn't Happen: The Realm  (Read 1208 times)

willy

• View Profile
Something That Probably Shouldn't Happen: The Realm
« on: April 15, 2017, 08:52:12 AM »
I didn't give much thought to where I placed my light hearted character Willy Givens. Stuff just sort of organically happened, got control of a handful of towns around Alost and might soon take control of the scrublands Jokulvikra-Mitecir from a friendly with too many settlements. Neato, didn't give much it thought.

Then I saw this in my head:

I'm tempted to do it. Build a realm for-and-of anatomy jokes and bad puns.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 08:53:56 AM by willy »

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
Re: Something That Probably Shouldn't Happen: The Realm
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 12:29:11 PM »
Personally, I dont have anything against this. Especially not if it unintentionally happened like this and it stays at innuendos and isn't anything blatant.

But there are definetly some people who'd have a problem with this though, and I know Tom would for sure hate this. So do it at your own risk really.

Dorian

• Playing since 2015.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 12:33:40 PM »
That would be highly inapropriate and unnecessary.

willy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 02:26:14 PM »
The name could use some work, sure. What I see in my head usually isn't subtle....but I can see other wanting a few layers of etiquette and less low-brow humor. 

That would be highly inapropriate and unnecessary.

Are you against a light-humor realm in general, or just wiener jokes? I thought Tom had a fondness for some of the tongue in cheek Outer Tilog stuff, but I wouldn't push something no one wants. Wouldn't happen anytime soon, even if I did follow the whim.

Dorian

• Playing since 2015.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 08:40:14 PM »
I am against humorous realms in general.

Weaver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 03:01:18 AM »
You clearly haven't seen the Kverness "finger". It looks like a wee thing sticking out of Ascalon's nether regions.

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 03:05:21 AM »
I don't see whats wrong with humor. Humor keeps things fun and intresting, and it's needed even in a heavy RP game. And something pointless that doesn't affect anyone like making a sexual joke with a realm name and form won't do any harm as long as they still play like a serious realm. It'll probably create more interaction, I can say for certain that atleast I would be more inclined to interact with a realm that has proven to be able to be fun in atleast some way rather than some other realm trying to perfectly proper.

Also, look at Finland and Sweden.

Demivar

• Purveyor of cunning plans.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 03:15:15 AM »
You clearly haven't seen the Kverness "finger". It looks like a wee thing sticking out of Ascalon's nether regions.
We elected to re-re-re-re-rename it to Kvernes Coast. It means that someone can't proclaim themselves "Lord of the Finger"
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Radovid's like you
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: but then insane
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Dijkstra is like you

Weaver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 03:47:16 AM »
Yeah, Lord of the Finger with the Big... Demesne.

Cipheron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 05:47:06 AM »
When you make a character Tom specified a rule that you must make it a serious named character, and nothing silly, anachronistic or based on internet memes. the text describes this as a "rule" and not a guideline.

While there is clearly some wiggle-room, you could have an ironic name ("brotherhood of peace" but they're really warlike), or a really foolish character who styles themselves far above their station: Those are humorous and ironic, but the humor makes sense in character - political doublespeak and self-aggrandizing fools are a real phenomena. That's really the crux. Can the characters take it seriously in universe? If so, then load on all the subtext, irony and humor you want. If you want to make The Pirate Kingdom of Penzance with a King Blackbeard then go for it, it's pretty funny but it can be taken completely unironically in universe.

The difference is that nobody would ever found a penis-shaped kingdom and call it "Tor Phallus". That just breaks the 4th wall. It would also be an insult to the current Tors, as a joke subrealm would permanently appear as being equal in the heirarchy to serious ones, that players have spent years cultivating.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 06:08:58 AM by Cipheron »

willy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 04:18:40 PM »
Ok. So the realm name is a bust. Subtlety a plus. gotcha

Those are humorous and ironic, but the humor makes sense in character - political doublespeak and self-aggrandizing fools are a real phenomena. That's really the crux. Can the characters take it seriously in universe?

I'm not sure about how serious the characters are going to take Willy in general. Comedy is kind of built for not taking serious, but there are some tricks I guess. The PIXAR-esque style of sneaking in adult humor or Discworld-style wordsmithing. I went for low-brow jester type, but the character is a serious attempt. Alot of what we create is from history or pop-culture. Some people want to create a Sun-Tzu and Tacitus. Maybe I want Aristophanes and fart jokes. How often did a phallic object elicit a giggle before the printing press, you think? Comedy taste is relative, though, so I'll try not to ply something that isn't wanted.

Granted, Aristophanes I aint.

It would also be an insult to the current Tors, as a joke subrealm would permanently appear as being equal in the hierarchy to serious ones, that players have spent years cultivating.

Hadn't really thought of that. I would rather avoid being that guy...whizzing on other people's creations. I meant to make it an area clearly marked for "fun", while still keeping within the nearby culture of Tors that I think are neat.

An actually clever name, better range of comedy material, and some subtlety in the administration of it...I can probably do that. I'll keep dabbling with the character and see where it goes. Them border's aren't happening anytime soon. Willy's just starting out and probably can't extend beyond the Iara-Miticer supply towns....a lady liege holds him by his "Ronds" and I doubt she's interested in letting go anytime soon.

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 01:33:35 PM »
Why is it that people assume that people in the old days weren't just as perverted and dirty-minded as people today? Here's an entire wikipedia article on the history of erotic depictions in artsy things: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_erotic_depictions

Not that medieval nobility weren't pompous as all hell sometimes, but, for the record, the oldest dildo is believed to be from thirty-thousand (30,000) years ago. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dildo#History

If someone wants to make a phallus shaped realm, why do I care? Now, the question is whether or not his neighbors in game care. If they're insulted, they should let him know, be that in words or by castrating his entire realm, that's their decision.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 05:25:05 PM »
I'm now just imaging people declaring a holy crusade to castrate Tor Phallus, and then taking all the settlements representing the balls but leaving the rest XD.

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 12:55:40 AM »
Huh. Maybe we should add that as an option instead of execution.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Cipheron

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 01:38:30 AM »
It's no worse than being boiled in oil etc. And castration would have a real game effect, any male (only) who is castrated cannot be the father of new children.