Author Topic: A good new player experience.  (Read 387 times)

willy

• View Profile
A good new player experience.
« on: April 14, 2017, 10:40:28 AM »
So I was into Battlemaster about the time Might and Fealty was launched. I didn't really get into the demo, don't recall why, but I thought the concept was neat as hell. I recently returned to Battlemaster and gave Might and Fealty a try too.

The experience was mostly good. One character got a ton of help from their liege, one character popped into a small city while it was under a two-realm despute and somehow ended up taking it over with 2 soldiers (I created a villain before placing them, was too opportune to pass up. Plan to return it, fyi).

I did have one character's liege kill herself right after spawning, but I figured I'd take that character and explore. Alot of slumberblight, so I'm still not sure how dense active characters are but realms seem active when you consider the pace of the game. Honestly, though, its a game that all you need are maybe 3 or 4 people and it can be fun. I've probably met 5-10 people (maybe a dozen characters) in a few months. Some of the mechanics took some time to figure out, but the wiki/manual covers things well.

Dorian

• Playing since 2015.
    • View Profile
Re: A good new player experience.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 09:28:41 PM »
It is always nice to hear people having good experience with the game. From your current experience, what realms would you suggest to new players?

willy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 03:05:49 AM »
I love the flavor of the Lowlands and the various Tors, but it seems a bit spread out and disjointed. I'm just about to get to know the Western Confederation and still not really sure wtf is going on around Dubh Dun and Nairalo. That about covers my characters. Haven't had a chance to check into Ascalon, Grand Fate, and the Hawks but they seem worth a visit.

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 03:15:13 AM »
I love the flavor of the Lowlands and the various Tors, but it seems a bit spread out and disjointed. I'm just about to get to know the Western Confederation and still not really sure wtf is going on around Dubh Dun and Nairalo. That about covers my characters. Haven't had a chance to check into Ascalon, Grand Fate, and the Hawks but they seem worth a visit.

Welcome to the game.

Also, you have the character Ruby Lawlor then? Seems about accurate from your description of the realms you are in.

Hawks id say is definetly worth checking it, while I havent played there myself the ruler is quite good and tries to create content and make stuff happen from what ive heard. Or it might have been Grand Fate too, I cant remember.

willy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 03:56:17 AM »
Nah, I've got Willy and Filly Givens near Tor Kortaur....a couple more RP oriented characters spread between the west and east.

willy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 12:07:45 PM »
Got 4 characters on a path now. A builder and rogue couple, a paladin, and a diplomat. Enough to have a few messages from a few people at least once a week. I expect a casual game of D&D if it was made by the guys from Total War. Just...slow.

My enthusiasm will probably wane eventually. For now, though, I'm enjoying a quick check daily and some real benders if I'm bingewatching something online and someone else is active. Sometimes, I end up looking at the map and imagining each character and their environs in my head...or send a bunch of personal messages with my schemer...or just lose the lighter. Once all my RP is built and characters established I might move to once a week activity (an hour or two maybe) or something like that. I've seen D&D parties less active and with less people.

Game's got a few problems, a few growing pains, but I'd recommend it to anyone looking for D&D TotalWar essentially. It is definitely worth funding. Haven't subscribed, I'm not really sure I'd need extra characters, but I bought some goodies with spare cash and probably will again.

Just takes awhile to reach out and grab someone really alive in the wastelands. A little too realistic, come to think of it.

Edit: I added links, figured it couldn't hurt to share. Not sure if anyone can see them, though. I got the impression background/family/ownership profiles are publicly available.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 12:51:40 PM by willy »

willy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 12:14:58 PM »
oops, doublepost

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 12:40:12 PM »
If you can make me a list of the problems you've seen, and any growing pains you feel, that'd be great.

I've toyed with the concept of adding character classes in, so people can make their characters truly theirs, and customize them to be however they want them to be.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 12:47:17 PM »
I dont feel like classes are a good idea. Id rather have the traits system work, maybe add some extra traits like "Trader" and such and then make that system customizable in some way.

willy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 01:02:45 PM »
If you can make me a list of the problems you've seen, and any growing pains you feel, that'd be great.

Takes a bit to find some of the mechanics of the game. Digging through the forum for details is kind of rough. Like, the manual says the outer scouts can catch an army but you need someone in the inner patrol to really get numbers/messages (from what I've found). Calculating travel time, trajectory of a moving target....its kinda hard to judge where to set so you can intercept around the time you'll be online. Is there anywhere I can see the speed of someone's trail?

The volume is what it is. I'll find me a party, some of the search is fun itself. Maybe help differentiate between good lieges and bad for newbies. Or maybe make players use reputation more often and reference that. Like a pop up that says "important loudmouth so-and-so asks your opinion of x person".

I've toyed with the concept of adding character classes in, so people can make their characters truly theirs, and customize them to be however they want them to be.

I don't know if you need restrictive classes. I think if there could be publicly joinable/accessible guilds, players could build their own character-subgroups (like the Greenwardens on my paladin). Something (I assume would be) mechanically cheap and encourage players to do the creative legwork. Getting character traits up and running would be enough for me to say characters are mechanically distinctive.

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 01:10:07 PM »
The only tricky part about player associations (guilds) is that i want them to have guildhalls and types, but before that I need to update the message system.
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

willy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 06:22:24 PM »
Oh, other peeve I wanted to mention....maybe make map-markers easier to utilize. If you could mark a brigand (or moving army) from the map/travel screen, that would be neat. Limit it to one and it probably wont get abused (keep the other markers through some clicks for people who make a bazillion). I feel like it is a good way of sharing info, just haven't seen it used.

The only tricky part about player associations (guilds) is that i want them to have guildhalls and types, but before that I need to update the message system.

Honestly, when I said growing pains...it might be more the feeling you get with something is under development. A lot of features/bells and whistles that could (or even will) be added...you feel their absence more. A few bugs here and there, sure. Sometimes the dice fly off the table and get lost no matter what you do, ya know? Part of me feels like I should just appreciate the gift of a good free game that has more potential.

willy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 01:30:29 PM »
Ok. Last newbie questions/comments and then I'll stop posting everywhere willy-nilly.

Who gets food when? Soldiers>peasants>thralls, right? Are roaming armies picking up food from enemy settlements without looting?

Organizing troops seems like a mess sometimes. I'd like to see a way to lock groups into units. Something to quickly make/order a troop-type you have and click once for a platoon (50) or company (100-200). Would also be a good place to mention troop number vs troop quality mechanics. Let people know that a platoon of broadsword/plate is probably gonna shred that 200 person company of naked spearmen (right?).

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 01:38:24 PM »

Organizing troops seems like a mess sometimes. I'd like to see a way to lock groups into units. Something to quickly make/order a troop-type you have and click once for a platoon (50) or company (100-200).
That is what the groups are for, sure you have to put them in those groups to start with, but once they are in them you can order them by the group. Its not perfect and Andrew and I wish to expand it, but it is workable.

Would also be a good place to mention troop number vs troop quality mechanics. Let people know that a platoon of broadsword/plate is probably gonna shred that 200 person company of naked spearmen (right?).

Why would you need to point out that higher tier items = better? Isn't that the entire reason they exist?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 01:41:00 PM by Andrew »
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 01:42:52 PM »
I have no plans to automate unit grouping, but De-Legro and I have talked about making the main military unit a group of soldiers. The plan is for them to act independently in battle, so you can have 2 infantry groups, 1 archer group, and 1 light cavalry group all in the same battle, under your command, acting independently, choosing targets logically and independtly. Pursuing foes, hunting targets, even selectively targeting the enemy leader.

When the combat update happens and it goes fully 2D, battle phases as you know them now will no longer exist, sieges will exist as an ongoing "battle", and reinforcements can happen mid-battle (which will be fun to setup).