Author Topic: I would really love to help  (Read 204 times)

lordromeo

• View Profile
I would really love to help
« on: February 12, 2017, 10:52:15 AM »
Hello there!

I am PHP developer and designer currently working as the CTO for a design agency in London i would love to help with the development of the game. I fell inlove with it.

My github username is: iamromeo

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
Re: I would really love to help
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 08:10:16 PM »
We're always happy to have some help. Some experience with Symfony2, Doctrine2, JavaScript, and/or HTML/CSS is recommended in addition to PHP. I'm learning it as I go though.

Get a feel for the game, and let us know what area you'd like to tackle. If you're curious about the game's code, it's over on the Github and if you do a search for FIXME: or TODO:, you should get a number of results of things Tom was working on or planning on fixing. Alternatively, the TODO list pinned in this forum has a list of things that I'd like to see added (most of which Tom has reviewed himself).

Any code you edit I can test on one of my machines, and if you keep helping I can assist you with setting up a dev version of the game for your own use.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

lordromeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 12:56:45 AM »
I am a Symfony2/3 (now) developer with 18 years of experience coding. I use Doctrine2 ORM and DBLA I also work with Angular2. I was thinking that i would be interested before anything else to work towards a better mobile interface for the game so it becomes easier to play over phone/tablet.

lordromeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 12:57:24 AM »
Are you using vagrant for the dev environment or docker containers?

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 01:13:47 AM »
Are you using vagrant for the dev environment or docker containers?

Neither, the system was never really set up containers. Until recently there was really only a single developer with access to the server. Andrew now has a test server set up for himself and we are going to transition the live server hopefully soonish.

Tom originally envisioned the game having a API such that new clients would be simple to create. Having that actually finished would make having a separate mobile interface, or even a mobile app much easier to do. Personally I am slowly slogging through some of the smaller quality of life issues that have been in existence for almost ever, like there being no way to resupply mercenary troops.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

lordromeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 07:27:25 AM »
I see, mmm I can see that.
So regarding mobile version I was literally thinking of introducing some @media CSS rules to simply clear a bit the interface for mobile users to begin with so still browser based implementation just cleaner.

In regards to setting up a development environment I can just set this up locally, easy, as long as I have a database dump to work from. Are there fixtures in the code for all the entities or some sort of migrations?

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 09:23:08 AM »
Even without a database you'll be able to get to the main page of the game if the server is configured right. With a database you'll be able to create a user and even a character, though you'll lack a map and settlements.

I'll see if I can't trim down the map data though to something that can be loaded as a data fixture, so it can load a small map with each of the specific region types for dev instances.

Tomorrow though, after I work on the stuff I wanted to get to this weekend (instead of dealing with life), after I've had some proper sleep.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)