Author Topic: AAR: Operation Unwaking  (Read 670 times)

Weaver

• View Profile
AAR: Operation Unwaking
« on: December 24, 2016, 10:43:51 PM »
In the past few weeks, a lot of people have been asking me about how I managed to create such a big city (The first one to reach 10k+ population). Shortly after explaining that it was a consequence of creating a forward operating base for resupply, from that very place the House of Order has launched an operation far into the North. Along with asking me how I created that city, quite a few people also asked how exactly we do 'war'.

There really is no good answer. There is the School of War I wrote, but that is simply not enough, one needs experience and a starting point- therefore, I am providing the AAR of our latest operation which was a bit of an overkill as the forces we expected to meet never showed up.

I will write this AAR in a bit of a RP style, as if it was an actual AAR that you would provide to an actual military command, otherwise it's no fun for me. Without further ado:

######################################################################################

Classified
House of Order
1st Whisperreap Heavy Legion
Magatsu Tama, House of Order HQ

TO: House of Order Command
SUBJECT: Operation Unwaking Campaign Report, DEC-20-2016

SUMMARY: Campaign concluded successfully. All threats eliminated. Primary objective accomplished. Secondary objectives postponed.

TOPIC: Casualties

DISCUSSION: Once the battle of New Valeria has begun, 300 enemy personnel manned the defenses. As per normal procedure against First Ones, we attacked with superior forces of mostly heavy infantry equipped with javelins to keep morale up as we inevitably take casualties in the initial stages of the battle. Among the unfortunate was Winters of Ash, who was singled out and a volley of arrows rained down upon her, fatally wounding her. She continued to fight, but later her broken mask was found, body unrecoverable. In the melee, we turned the tables on the defenders and our professional army slaughtered the defenders within a minimum amount of time, despite the extreme amount of fortifications inside New Valeria.

TOPIC: Battle Plan

REFERENCE MATERIAL:

A) see below

B) see below

C) see below

D) see below

DISCUSSION: As per reference A, we rallied at RP December once the stockpiles of weapons and excess food reached acceptable levels to fill the stores of our camp followers. We were all issued with 20x scouts, 15x camp followers, 1x merchant and 1x prospector. As communication with the Distortions was undesirable, we did not bring heralds.

RECOMMENDATION: We need to bring more merchants. When we established the forward supply route, our merchant decided to stay behind and oversee the trades.

DISCUSSION: As per reference B, the 1st Whisperreap Heavy Legion went along TR May. We received reports that TR August's troops were hungry when they reached their designated point, as expected. They refilled their stores in Devinaxa before setting up for the assault on New Valeria.

RECOMMENDATION: Nothing to add.

DISCUSSION: As per reference C, CCP Cutter was being established by the time that Operation Unwaking began, and a Combat Patrol was sent out to Aralion to scout and intercept enemy reinforcements. The 3rd Tharsis Auxiliary Legion patrolled west of New Valeria to also intercept enemy reinforcements as we committed to battle. At the conclusion of the battle, our own Search and Destroy mission was canceled, as new information regarding the secondary objectives came to light.

RECOMMENDATION: I recommend that our intelligence network be expanded, and that a proper review of our primary suppression targets be conducted before a campaign is launched.

DISCUSSION: In regards to reference D, we only partially performed the task. None of the watchtowers were built, and only patrols within the New Valeria area were established. The CCP was moved to New Valeria as well as negotiations proceeded with the secondary objectives.

TOPIC: Intelligence

DISCUSSION: No information leaks, to our knowledge, occurred when the Arsenal of Peace relayed live status reports.

CONCLUSION: It is regrettable what happened to Winters of Ash in a fight we shouldn't have picked in the first place. Our arrival and operations here have been made almost pointless were it not for the Seven Weeks of Ruin rounding up Caspian Flambard's previous vassals, and inviting them to join the Imperium. Establishing a forward fortress this far from the Imperium has no strategic importance and will only serve to increase tensions with Ascalon.

END REPORT
#####################################################################################

REFERENCE A)

RP: Rally Point

REFERENCE B)

TR: Tactical Route

REFERENCE C)

SAD: Search and Destroy
CCP: Casualty Collection Point
CP: Combat Patrol

Squiggly line: Front

Reference D)

MSR: Main Supply Route