Author Topic: More info on character screen  (Read 441 times)

Cipheron

• View Profile
More info on character screen
« on: December 12, 2016, 06:46:22 AM »
This is a small suggestion, but would reduce the number of page loads, and thus server load. And streamline playing a bit.

Sometimes I have to click on a character to see if a thing they're doing is completed, e.g. a takeover attempt, grant control, or regrouping troops. This is inconvenient and requires unnecessary page loads, especially for paid accounts with 10+ characters.

On the character's page the current "task" is listed, and that's limited to "travel" or "battle". This field could be used for many more things. For a start, any task that blocks travel could possibly be listed here. Then, i could tell at a glance which character is doing what rather than having to click play on each of them to find out:

- "regroup" on character's list would let me know not to bother clicking on a character until they're ready to go after a battle
- "take control": similarly, i'd only need to click on the character once after they've actually taken control
- "grant control": could possibly appear on both giving and receiving character's list.

There are probably a few others that could be useful information on the character's list page, but those are the main ones that would streamline the game. basically, having to do a page load for each of your characters to see if they're done yet with action-blocking stuff is the opposite of fun.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
Re: More info on character screen
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 11:43:09 AM »
This is a small suggestion, but would reduce the number of page loads, and thus server load. And streamline playing a bit.

Page loads demands are tiny in comparison to the server load from running travel, battle and other scripts

Sometimes I have to click on a character to see if a thing they're doing is completed, e.g. a takeover attempt, grant control, or regrouping troops. This is inconvenient and requires unnecessary page loads, especially for paid accounts with 10+ characters.

On the character's page the current "task" is listed, and that's limited to "travel" or "battle". This field could be used for many more things. For a start, any task that blocks travel could possibly be listed here. Then, i could tell at a glance which character is doing what rather than having to click play on each of them to find out:- "regroup" on character's list would let me know not to bother clicking on a character until they're ready to go after a battle- "take control": similarly, i'd only need to click on the character once after they've actually taken control- "grant control": could possibly appear on both giving and receiving character's list.There are probably a few others that could be useful information on the character's list page, but those are the main ones that would streamline the game. basically, having to do a page load for each of your characters to see if they're done yet with action-blocking stuff is the opposite of fun.

This is currently "by design". By that I mean that Tom's solution to the advantage of playing more characters, was to make more characters more work to do. I'm not saying we can't revisit the concept, just that it is currently functioning as intended.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 11:53:19 AM by Andrew »
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Constantine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 05:19:34 PM »
Well, we can still do something interesting with. For example, four main characters get all the info showed on the starting page. Eight secondary characters get some info (like it is now). The rest get none at all.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 11:33:02 PM »
Well, we can still do something interesting with. For example, four main characters get all the info showed on the starting page. Eight secondary characters get some info (like it is now). The rest get none at all.

Except their is currently no limit to how many characters can be assigned as "main"
He who was once known as Blackfyre