Author Topic: How does this even work? Report/Bug?  (Read 1836 times)

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
Re: How does this even work? Report/Bug?
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2016, 05:18:00 PM »
There are a lot of little things that bug me about the map, like how it's square (as others have pointed out to me). Some of them bugged Tom even, like why cliffs are on borders, for instance.

That said, I'm not going to expand the map until I've figured out a system for the game to reclaim abandoned parts of the map as well. I want the player base to be contiguous, at least mostly. I don't want to see massive stretches of nothingness in between areas of stuff, unless that nothingness is the ocean between continents.

It'll never be like BattleMaster, at least code wise. That said, with how the game lore is written, there is a lot you can do and still have it all exist on the same map but be inaccessible from each other. And it'd be a modified map, not multiple ones.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Ehndras

• Urist Tarzath, Emperor of the Children of Armok
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2016, 05:38:40 PM »
Not much difference really, beside solving the age-old frustration of different islands being magical realms that don't even acknowledge the others' existence.

^ Solving that is a good thing btw
Mors Principium Est - Death is only the beginning

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2016, 06:07:12 PM »
"The gods willed there would be an impenetrable veil of darkness separating this lands from the others. While you can leave, you can never return, and the gods shall not permit another to take your place until your death."

Then just spruce it up to make it fiction worthy, and bam, it is officially game canon why one Island is separate from all the rest and inaccessible from the rest of the world. Unless you're Andrew Calinus, but he's dead.
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

nanakisan

• Sanctus Acies. Ad honorem, Ad mortis
    • View Profile
    • My personal art gallery
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2016, 10:56:05 AM »
Ohhh now that sounds like what me and Roran were trying long ago. We tried to take over that heart shaped island, the intention was to make it a free for all land. Anyone was invited to participate in the fun. But we were then shortly shutdown as someone just up and took the lands from is.
I am a lunatic wrapped in bacon. Sprinkled with swiss, smoothered in mustard and then buried in lettuce. I'm delicious!

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2016, 11:11:08 AM »
As far as I'm aware, I have the only heart shaped island, and I've had it since before the game launched. So you're statement confuses me a bit.

nanakisan

• Sanctus Acies. Ad honorem, Ad mortis
    • View Profile
    • My personal art gallery
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2016, 12:22:17 PM »
Damn it, sorry I actually confused the islands! I was talking about that island everyone thought was cursed awhile back.
I am a lunatic wrapped in bacon. Sprinkled with swiss, smoothered in mustard and then buried in lettuce. I'm delicious!

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2016, 12:57:28 PM »
That COMPLETELY changes things. Dramatically expanding the map would be very, very cool. A new island a-la Battlemaster? A specially sort of awesome.

I wasn't aware those were options. It'd be kind of like how BM has the old, original island, and then all the new servers, and some players like one, or the other, or have characters on all of them.

A proper archipelago would be glorious.

Hell, different map configurations - period - would be glorious.

A new landmass... That would be... Divine.

Why? The world started much smaller then it is now. Opening new land has never done much to long term player trends. People always want "virgin good" land to create their little project, 99% of which get bored within a month and stop. More land fixes absolutely none of the issues with play-ability the game has.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Foxglove

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2016, 07:17:47 PM »
Damn it, sorry I actually confused the islands! I was talking about that island everyone thought was cursed awhile back.

That would be the Cursed Isle  ;)
Standing for the responsible use of power since Year 1, Week 1, Day 1.
Fun fact: I wrote some of the text for the M&F crowdfunding campaign.
Favourite warm beverage: hot chocolate.

Ehndras

• Urist Tarzath, Emperor of the Children of Armok
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2016, 07:51:53 PM »

Why? The world started much smaller then it is now. Opening new land has never done much to long term player trends. People always want "virgin good" land to create their little project, 99% of which get bored within a month and stop. More land fixes absolutely none of the issues with play-ability the game has.

Simply because merely extending land is pointless. The NW segment just meant all the experienced guys brought in fucktardedly massive armies and shat on everyone else.

Having a true virgin land where you CANT bring in outside forces easily - now that is true opportunity.

We had so many realms and things going on in the NW, it was glorious for a short time.

And of course, all the older nations intervened and fucked with people who just wanted to try something new.

I ended up doing it too, because the only way to counter big armies were other big armies.

From there, it turned into a clusterfuck.

*shrug*
Mors Principium Est - Death is only the beginning

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2016, 04:57:19 AM »
Simply because merely extending land is pointless. The NW segment just meant all the experienced guys brought in fucktardedly massive armies and shat on everyone else.

Having a true virgin land where you CANT bring in outside forces easily - now that is true opportunity.

We had so many realms and things going on in the NW, it was glorious for a short time.

And of course, all the older nations intervened and fucked with people who just wanted to try something new.

I ended up doing it too, because the only way to counter big armies were other big armies.

From there, it turned into a clusterfuck.

*shrug*

No its not. Take it from those of us that were in the guided start, with the advantage of having accelerated build turns. It is just a boring slog.

New lands should require troops and significant backing to take. Preferably that would be the established realms backing colonies rather then sending their own characters to amass yet more land. Much like how in BM when colonies actually worked, the effort required on Dwilight to carve out a new realm. Now that was an achievement and an opportunity. Hell just the failed attempts made good stories. Just being able to waltz in with a noble, run your flag up and start carving out a realm is a whole lot less interesting.

Kuromei

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2016, 05:15:47 AM »
No offence, but of us don't HAVE troops to throw around like you do De-Legro. Perhaps if a new continent or landmass was to ever be created, it shoukd have equal opportunity, and not just whoever descides to mobilise their armada to sail across and create the same stagant world?

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2016, 05:37:55 AM »
No offence, but of us don't HAVE troops to throw around like you do De-Legro. Perhaps if a new continent or landmass was to ever be created, it shoukd have equal opportunity, and not just whoever descides to mobilise their armada to sail across and create the same stagant world?

And most of us that have troops don't have characters to keep expanding. There are plenty of players that are willing to support others, GF, Hawks, Low Lands and EI have all in the past handed over troops for different reasons. What I see here is an argument that new established players should be able to carve out new realms for themselves. I am against that from the get go. If we want a persistent world, a connected world then you work to build support before making claims.

Otherwise we will be opening new land every few months so the newest batch of players get a new "safe" island to start with, regardless of the state of the other islands in terms of player base.

I would much rather examine the existing code and make it harder for a single player to be an army unto himself/herself. To provide reasons to want to establish friendly non vassal realms etc.