Author Topic: About Courtly Literature (A Roran & Andrew Production)  (Read 891 times)

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
About Courtly Literature (A Roran & Andrew Production)
« on: November 26, 2016, 07:40:41 PM »
The following is provided in it's entirety for your enjoyment. Only slight editing has occurred in order to ensure the story is interpretted the way it was intended (Roran & I talked about some messages OoC and how certain things didn't make sense, and changed them, stuff like that). Since Roran has left, and someone reminded me about these, I thought I'd post them for everyone else to enjoy.

by Sander of Arescod on 4-56-5 (February 14, 2015 17:19)   Greetings Duchess Vanessa Calinus,
I have come here with some of the books about courtly literature that I deemed most suitable to discuss about, should you still be found willing to talk with me about my interests.

by Vanessa Calinus on 4-56-5 (February 14, 2015 17:42)   So formal. Almost sounds like I should be worried!

by Sander of Arescod on 4-56-6 (February 14, 2015 18:34)   Ah, a case of professional deformation Duchess, it's hard to write letters without it. Nevertheless, I had the feeling after our conversation that courtly love is as much of an interest to me as to you. Am I wrong?

by Vanessa Calinus on 4-56-6 (February 14, 2015 20:31)   "Professional deformation"?
Come inside and find out if you are.

by Sander of Arescod on 4-57-5 (February 16, 2015 00:57)   Such an informal invitation, I would almost be insulted! Nevertheless, I wouldn't dare complain. It's refreshing to meet someone as straightforward as you, especially considering the sometimes tedious tendences of my tasks.

by Vanessa Calinus on 4-59-1 (February 18, 2015 06:11)   Let me assure you Sander, I can be formal if I wish to. I was raised and tutored by one of the oldest of our kind. From the way he tells it, he's attended courts that would put the entire continent to shame even if they were to host a singular massive court.
That said, it is usually rather borish. Formality has it's time and place.
Once you've settled in at one of the establishments in the city, come see me at the Castle, so that we may meet in person.

by Sander of Arescod on 4-59-3 (February 18, 2015 15:25)   Sander entered the settlement and took residence in one of the chambers of the wooden castle, appointed to him by the major domus. After thoroughly refreshing himself from his journey and collecting the few books he had brought from his estate in Vintroth, he made his way towards the lord's hall, or in this case, the lady's one. For some reason he doubted that he would need the books, but he guessed it was a nice way of covering it up to the servants. Strangely nervous he arrived in the hall.
Greetings Duchess, it is a pleasure to see you again.

by Vanessa Calinus on 4-59-6 (February 19, 2015 11:53)   Vanessa had been sitting at the table in the main hall. Sure, she was sitting at the far end of it when he came in, in what would be the traditional seat for her position, but she'd been moving around as needed, referencing things and making alterations. If someone looked closer, it would almost seem as if she had not only taken up cartography but started making additions not only to current holdings but also beyond.
Ah! She spoke, half alarmed at her concentration being broke. I wasn't expecting them to just let you in. Sneaky minionses...
Not that it matters, She continued I needed a break from this future feat of engineering anyways.
A moment later it seemed, she'd not only stood up but was standing in front of Sander, looking up not only at him but the books in his arms.
You're taller than I expected, you know that? Vanessa spoke, her crystal blue eyes nearly piercing Sander's soul for a few seconds before focusing on the books. Not as dorky of a looker, either. I had my concerns when I was told red hair and blue eyes.
And you brought things~! The sound that then emitted from Vanessa would probably be defined as some form of "squee" but more of a elated "hee"
Come, come. She commanded, swiping the books and taking off down one of the halls. Study awaits!

by Sander of Arescod on 4-60-1 (February 19, 2015 13:19)   As he entered he found Vanessa sitting at the head of a long table in a mildly decorated lord's hall. Having visited many a court before he noticed something was different here, but he couldn't quite put his finger on it. Not that he was given much time to enjoy it anyways, as Vanessa demanded all of his attention nearly instantly.
"Well, most of my house are known to be tall and-" He replied before he was cut off by her next statement, which made him laugh out loud. "Luckily not dorky!"
Overwhelmed by Vanessa's presence Sander let himself be led towards some corridor, half of his books being stolen by the energetic lady before him. Not that he minded, really.

by Vanessa Calinus on 4-60-1 (February 19, 2015 13:36)   You know, I didn't say you weren't dorky, Vanessa teased, as she turned down another hall I said you weren't as dorky. There's a subtle difference.*
A few seconds later they were up a spiral of stairs and then down another hall and in the third door on the right.
What was inside was too large to be a study but too small to be a library and fully seemed like it wanted to be both. Most of the shelves were loaded with various books of numerous colors, sizes, and even languages. The corners of the room were taken up by small tables, which themselves were covered in more books. And not to be outdone, the center of the room was taken up by a table that seemed as if it should not have been able to make it into the room in the first place. Surprisingly, it was mostly clean.
So, Vanessa asked, setting the books down, where should we start?

by Sander of Arescod on 4-60-1 (February 19, 2015 13:47)   "Hmm. I guess that's something at least." He concluded after Vanessa's correction.
Following her up a spiralling stair into a fairly large hall filled with books. He remembered this room to have been Duchess Alicia of Virnal's gathering room where she conversed with the clanleaders. Vanessa seemed to have turned it into a room of studying, for which it seemed far too large. The amount of books crammed inside still made it feel cramped and small however, and Sander wondered for a moment if in this chaos there were hiding more books than in the Royal Library at Arescod.
"Well," Sander began "I don't know how much you have read into the subject, but an interesting starter is 'Eens meiensmorgensvroeg'. It's written by Duke John I of Brabant'..." Sander began, opening the 'Codex Manesse'.

by Vanessa Calinus on 4-60-1 (February 19, 2015 14:00)   "By all means," Vanessa spoke, clearing a spot off of the table, climbing on top of it, and then sitting cross legged with her head resting on her intertwined hands with her arms propped up on her knees, "take a seat and explain away. I'm not sure where this Brabant is, but if you think its interesting."

by Sander of Arescod on 4-60-1 (February 19, 2015 14:13)   Shrugging Sander sat down next to Vanessa, surprised at her climbing on top of the table but not questioning it any further.
"Well the Duchy of Brabant was a realm that existed long before the Cataclysm. Its true history is marred by many fables and legends, but what we do know is that it was around the place where now Ashford should be. Under the leadership of John I, II and III it became a relatively mighty Duchy in the old and mighty Imperium. John I was known as a powerful ruler who cared as much about enjoying life as governing with strength, and sired several bastards himself. It was the heydey of courtly literature, the Empire still blooming." Sander explained of the top of his mind, before turning to the book again.
"In this poem or song is explained how a noble knight, wandering through a beautiful garden, encounters three singing ladies, which he then joyfully joins untill he attempts to kiss one, where he is met with a firm rejection..." Sander began, continuing about the song the ladies were singing, 'Harba Lorifa', and the different modern interpretations of it.

by Vanessa Calinus on 4-60-1 (February 19, 2015 14:42)   Vanessa listened intently, absorbing what was said, digesting it, itemizing it, and filing it away. If anything, it probably just looked like she was staring at Sander. And then, as if a transition had somehow been missed, she was staring out the window, focusing on nothing in particular.
"Its weird to me still, to be able to look out a window and see blue." Vanessa muttered to no one in particular. "Its been years now, and it's still strange. You ever experience anything like that Sander? To have something so normal seem so alien?"

by Sander of Arescod on 4-60-1 (February 19, 2015 14:49)   Stopping to read and talk as he realized Vanessa was staring out of the window, muttering something to herself. Something about looking out of the window and seeing blue. He tried and failed to understand what she was talking about and by the time she asked him a question he had noticed the distracted, somewhat weary look in her eyes.
"I don't really know what you're hinting towards Vanessa," He said, replying with her real name for once as she had all the time. It was strangely uncomfortable to him. He tried placing himself in her position, and reasoned that after having lived on an island for that long, the Mainland might be a hefty change.
"But I suppose you are right. Change is never easy."

by Vanessa Calinus on 4-60-1 (February 19, 2015 14:58)   "It's all blue outside, Sander." She spoke, a little louder, though not otherwise moving, "Everyday it gets lighter and darker, but always some hue of blue unless its dawn or dusk. It's been four years now, and it's still weird. Isn't it weird?"

by Sander of Arescod on 4-60-1 (February 19, 2015 15:03)   Looking outside, he frowned, trying hard to get what she was talking about. Despite the Gods War, the Cataclysm and everything that had happened so recently, the sky had always been blue. He did however sense that there must've been something going on. If Vanessa found it strange that the sky was blue... It must've meant something, but nothing he could immediately guess. Carefully he formulated an answer.
"It's been like that in here forever, Vanessa. The blue sky is even more immortal than our kind."
Slowly an idea formed in his head that perhaps Vanessa had never seen daylight before the Cataclysm now almost 5 years ago, but he awaited her answer before saying anything else.

by Vanessa Calinus on 4-60-1 (February 19, 2015 15:11)   "Of course it has," *Vanessa replied quietly, wiping her eyes a little, "you've only ever known vast blue skies."
Vanessa readjusted a bit, resting her cheek on her hands, rather than her chin.
"Sorry, I had some friends not more than a decade ago that I used to get together with and just read stuff, back in the Academy's library in the Warrens. Listening to you made me think about it and..." Trailing off, she wiped her eyes again. "Sorry."

by Sander of Arescod on 4-60-1 (February 19, 2015 15:20)   As the truth dawned on him he realized that Vanessa must've grown up secluded from the Gods War somewhere far from daylight. A smart decision of  Duke Andrew who raised her, but one that had left a lasting mark on the girl before him. When she spoke of the friends she used to read with and tried subtly removing a tear, Sander felt little for inquiring after her past any longer. It didn't seem like it was a pleasant memory to her.
"It's okay." Was all he could say, closing the book he was reading from. "Maybe we should read more together from time to time?" He tried comforting her, letting his hand rest on her shoulder as a form of moral support.

by Vanessa Calinus on 4-60-1 (February 19, 2015 15:24)   Vanessa turned her head to look at him, her eyes a touch red from the tears.
"Do you want to see it?" She asked, still quiet, "The Library, that is?"
  by Sander of Arescod on 4-60-1 (February 19, 2015 15:29)   Surprised she didn't call this place a full-grown library yet, his eyes were captured by hers as he returned her look.
"Yes. That sounds really nice." *He replied on a calm tone.
   by Vanessa Calinus on 4-60-1 (February 19, 2015 15:37)   "Close your eyes." She requested, and watched on as he hesitated for a moment before complying.
Still remaining in her position, she raised a hand up to touch him on the cheek. A moment later the cramped, mini library in Virnal was gone, an expansive, if musty smelling, library in it's place. The position of the two still maintained, though the warmth of their former seats now gone. Around them lie clean marble floors, stacks upon stacks of bookcases on multiple floors, lights seemingly emanating from nothing, and them sitting on/at a table in a study area on the second floor with the railing no more than a few steps away.
"You can open them."

by Sander of Arescod on 4-60-1 (February 19, 2015 15:43)   As he obeyed her, suddenly the world seemed to have changed around him. In all of a sudden he found himself inside a grand library, far away from Ascalonian soil.
"W-Where am I?!" He exclaimed as he stepped back in utter confusion, looking around wildly as he tried to make sense of the situation.  "What is this place?!" *He continued, looking over the balcony into the massive size of the library.
"Vanessa?!" Panic was reaching for his throat as he stumbled away from the railing and landed on his bottoms. Clearly he had not been prepared for this to happen.

by Vanessa Calinus on 4-60-1 (February 19, 2015 15:57)   Vanessa watched, first quietly, as Sander reacted to his new surroundings, then with a little bit of a giggle.
"I asked if you wanted to see it." She responded, halfway returning to normal. "This is the Academy. Formally, the 'Iungard Academy for Magical Studies,' located in the Citadel Warrens, underneath the Old Iungard Citadel. It was called by some the 'Underground Academy', due to its location."
"Specifically," She wrapped things up, "this is it's library. The one I mentioned."

by Sander of Arescod on 4-60-1 (February 19, 2015 16:02)   Still looking around like a madman he started coming to his sensing, still terrified about what just happened
"So you're telling me that... we're in Iungard...?" He muttered, unable to understand what was going on still. "An academy for magic...? Magic doesn't exist...?" He continued, realizing as he spoke the words that perhaps his ideas needed an update. This certainly was not a mind trick or hypnotisation, for he had his eyes closed. Yet it couldn't be genuine, right? Right?!

by Vanessa Calinus on 4-60-1 (February 19, 2015 16:06)   "We're about 2 miles east of Iungard actually, and about a mile or so underground, if you want to be specific-ish."
Vanessa thought for a moment about what she was witnessing. Magic was normal. Almost every culture of the isles recognized some form of it. But Sander did not. In fact, it reminded her of her own reaction to something to a degree, some years back.
"Indeed. An Academy for magic. Now closed. As it has been for a couple thousand or so years, I think. And it does exist, it's how I got most of those books back in Virnal to Virnal. And how we came here."
"Doesn't Ascalon know of magic? Or have stories about it, at least? Mythologies or legends?"

by Sander of Arescod on 4-60-1 (February 19, 2015 16:28)   Standing up using a chair to support himself, afraid that his environments would still be subject to change, he sent Vanessa a terrified and bleak glance.
"N-No we do not! Magic is the word farmers and common man uses to explain what he can't understand! It's the herald of ignorance!" He stammered, unwilling to let go of the chair, his anchor to reality for now.

by Vanessa Calinus on 4-60-1 (February 19, 2015 16:35)   The girl thought for a moment, then another moment, and even a moment more, seeking out a tendril to use to connect to Sander on this topic. On this subject, the two were as far away as you could get. One raised always knowing it, and the other raised believing it to be a commoner's escape.
"Alright, I have a question then." Vanessa declared, "How do the Lendan Stones work?"

by Sander of Arescod on 4-60-1 (February 19, 2015 16:52)   Looking at Vanessa with a deeply discomforted gaze, he responded "It's a way devised by the Gods for us, First Ones, to adequately communicate with eachother... It is known that the Gods in their holyness posess powers, magics, beyond our grasp. Many have tried, yet none have succeeded." Sander explained to the best of his abilities.

Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
Re: About Courtly Literature (A Roran & Andrew Production)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 07:41:51 PM »
 by Vanessa Calinus on 4-60-1 (February 19, 2015 17:07)   "So," Vanessa began, "You'll believe simply that the Gods made something for us, but not inquire further into it's existence?"
"I'm more prone to believe that whoever tried, simply wasn't capable. Not everyone can do this. I can only do this because I am familiar with the locations." She stated, leaving her sitting position and lying flat on the table instead. If Sander was paying attention, this would probably make a good opportunity to really see her figure. "And this is nothing compared to what my father can do. Not only did he fight in the Gods War, he survived the Gods War. Find an old enough person, and I'm sure you'll hear a story of him."
"Not that I'd mention the name or the relation," She added. "Not all stories paint a pretty picture or would want someone to associate with his daughter."

by Sander of Arescod on 4-60-1 (February 19, 2015 17:20)  Still not at peace with what was going on, Sander managed to relax himself a bit more, so he was at least capable of conducting a normal conversation.
"Uh. Sort-of yes." He replied sheepishly. He didn't know of these things! He had only lived through the last 150-something years of the Gods War and finally the Cataclysm. Not quite enough to realize the scale of the entire conflict. Long after beautiful and organized realms had fallen, many centuries before that.
As Vanessa lied down and continued talking about magic, Sander felt shame red appear on his cheeks and decided to focus his attention on what the environments instead, along with what she was saying.
As she talked about her father he tried thinking of anyone fitting that description. He did realize though that he didn't quite know of any great mage. The fact that he didn't know magic existed before this didn't help much either.
"In my House only Lord Tyvandor has really withnessed the Gods War. He is old and embittered though, and very much by himself."

by Vanessa Calinus on 4-60-2 (February 20, 2015 08:58)   "You know, some of the older folk used to talk when I was around, sometimes even to me directly." Vanessa continued, still lying on the table, but looking at Sander now. "They would say that the Duke had changed since I came along. Sometimes they'd even talk about how he used to be."
"They'd describe him as if he had this ruthless, calculating personality, that seemed devoid of life; the 'Frozen Duke of the Northern Seas', they'd call him. As if he existed for responding to Imperium skirmishes and his own studies. At one point, before Ascalon was a thing, it's said that it fell under Calinus's domain and the main Imperial Army had gone through not only it but most of the northern continent by the time it was responded to."
"They say that he met them on his own, and simply cut them down where they stood. Infantry, Captains, even the Imperium's highest military commander, dead in a single battle against a single man. He simply left. Assuming that actually happened, records show it, oddly enough, as having been a good thing for the Imperium though, as it forced a massive amount of new noble families to be recognized to fill the power vacuum."
"Sorry." Vanessa finished, "I doubt that's helping you out any."

by Sander of Arescod on 4-60-3 (February 20, 2015 12:02)   Drawn into her story Sander momentarily forgot about the entire 'teleporting to an island' scenario, being a good listener due to his experiences as a diplomat. It was interesting and both weird to learn such obscure events from such a, as he had assumed, young lady.
As Vanessa continued talking about her father, Sander suddenly put two and two together and realized that the 'Frozen Duke of the Northern Seas, a man from House Calinus, was noone else than Duke Andrew Calinus. It was recorded in the histories and memories of his House that during the Godswar they were on the frontline several times, and eventually tore free from both the Fading Isles' and Erstes Imperium's dominion to become independant. He did however have trouble believing that Andrew faced an entire army on his own and slew them single-handedly, but this view was shaken to say the least, considering he still was on the Isle of Iuna.
"I don't mind at all. I've always had a bit of a knack for history. It's been told through our House that during the Gods Wars we were vassals of both the Imperium and the Isles alike, but Lord Tyvandor refuses to speak much about it and sadly his brothers have all perished eversince."
Sander replied in return, curious to find out more about his family's history this way. An idea dawned to him. Tyvandor had experienced the entire Gods War. He must know these things. He must've known there were mages aswell, and he could probably tell him the truth about Andrew's magical talent!
"... Maybe that's why he never talked about it..."

by Vanessa Calinus on 4-60-4 (February 20, 2015 13:51)   "Probably." She stated, connecting 'he' to 'Tyvandor', although noting that Sander seemed to have finally stabilized a bit.
"So, what do you think of the Library? If you want, we could go visit my old home." Vanessa thought she saw a second of dread pass over Sander's face, so added, "It'd be a walk. Half hour perhaps."

by Sander of Arescod on 4-60-4 (February 20, 2015 15:38)   For a moment he feared that his surroundings would suddenly warp again, but he was quickly reassured by Vanessa.
"Doesn't sound too bad. If only Henry hadn't left Iungard yet, we could meet him! The look on his face would be worth a treasure!"

by Vanessa Calinus on 4-60-4 (February 20, 2015 15:48)   Vanessa layed her head back down on the table, lifted her legs up in the air, and then swung them downwards using the momentum to launch herself upright
"Alrighty then!" She declared, hopping down from the table to the marble floor below.
Once again upright, she grabbed Sander by the sleeve and pulled him along behind as she navigated her way out of the library, down the hall outside, around a left turn, and down the next hall, and through a set of old, wooden double doors that almost didn't want to move.
"I'd welcome you outside, but it's not the outside you're used to." Vanessa spoke, pausing to let him look around while she tapped her finger to her chin thoughtfully.
The exterior of the Academy seemed to almost merge into a giant rock wall behind and above them, with numerous buildings, a somehow-functional fountain, and abandoned crates all scattered about in the cramped space between them and what seemed to be some form of wall. Above them, where one might expect a sky, one saw only a dim greyish brown of rock, hundreds of feet in the 'sky', with it disappearing off into the distance as it curved to enclose the great space. From their slightly elevated positions at the Academy entry, a feint outline of a walkway could be seen disappearing in the distance beyond the wall.
"Instead," she decided, "welcome to the Warrens. Questions?"

by Sander of Arescod on 4-60-4 (February 20, 2015 16:01)   Staring at the new 'world' opening above him, he suddenly understood Vanessa's earlier remarks about looking at the sky. If her home had been here, no wonder she hadn't seen the blue sky that much before. Despite the place being abandoned Sander was captivated by the weird and unnatural experience. It was a city under the ground! An entire city! Despite the dust gathering everywhere, the cobwebs defying gravity on the walls and old and empty crates lying about, he couldn't stop thinking that it must've been a beautiful place when properly maintained.
"Woah." Was all he said for a while
"How was this built-..." He began, pretty much guessing the answer already.

by Vanessa Calinus on 4-60-4 (February 20, 2015 16:09)   "Only the Academy we were in was formed into it's current structure. The rest was done the hard way." Vanessa replied, pulling Sander along again. If this was his reaction to this, his reaction to the actual city was going to be entertaining.
Down the path they went, Vanessa stopping briefly at the fountain for a drink, then through the gates.
Beyond lied an elevated walkway, almost so long as to disappear into darkness at the other end. The same lights present within the Library lit the path here, standing on columns along both sides of the path. Down below them was old croplands, which seemed to have been used recently enough to actually still have dead plants, rather than just dust.
Eventually, they reached the other side they met an impressive door standing guard against all things. Vanessa waved a hand towards it, and something reacted, as the stone and metal of the doorway shuttered, cried, and began to move just enough for passage.
Beyond was the halls. Carefully constructed, almost perfectly smooth, well lit, and not even musty smelling, the Halls were the pathways of the Warrens. Ventilated in some feat of engineering, lit by the same magic from within the previous cavern, and almost completely indistinguishable from each other besides some text on corners that appeared to be written in some old language.

by Sander of Arescod on 4-60-4 (February 20, 2015 16:33)   Breathlessly Sander let himself be guided along one wonder after another. This place, created my magic and the work of man both, secluded from the rest of the world, was like nothing he had ever seen before. The entire complex was lit by magical lamps by the looks of it, and despite his initial concern he now let the beauty of it all stream inside of his eyes. He realized that in the short time they'd be here they'd never be able to see all of the wonders inside. He was almost jealous of Vanessa having lived here almost all of her life instead of in the dangerous world above.
As Vanessa led him through a magically opened port into a long hall that looked as if it had been hand-crafted by the Gods themselves, Sander felt like saying something, but could not find the words for it. Silenced by the world around him he let himself be led to the next part of this journey.

by Vanessa Calinus on 4-60-4 (February 20, 2015 16:53)   It didn't take more than twenty minutes and a turn down into a larger Hall for them to be at another such door, this one wide open and guarded by a handful of men. They weren't the first they'd seen in the last couple halls, but the first at anything close to talking distance.
"Lady Vanessa, you honor us with your return." One spoke from within his plates, his hand never leaving it's resting position on the scabbard his broadsword was sheathed in. The others nodded or offered similar acknowledgements.
"Welcome to Iungard." Vanessa spoke, waving her free hand at the view around them. "Not to be confused with Iungard Castle up above, that many refer to as simply Iungard."
This cavern was so much more than simply a cavern. It was massive in proportions, mostly spherical in shape, clearly well lit and maintained, and full of life in every direction. There was a main road that seemed to weave it's away from them and down around the edges of the lower bowl then shot across to the other side before weaving back up and disappearing. Up above them, there seemed to be some sort of dormant lights that almost looked like starlight. All around them were structures that had either been built or carved out of the rock, with lights along the main road being magical while others were torches or something more advanced. And right next to the entrance was something clearly not built but rather forged or made to be. A massive column of distinctly different rock rose into the air, bending along the edge of the cavern once it met it, then coming to meet in the very top along with several others. Other such support columns also ran between points that weren't going through the center as well.
The most surprising thing though, was probably the presence of life. There was so many. You almost couldn't look at a spot without seeing some sign of life nearby. Be it people, plants, or animals, this was truly a city.
"I grew up over there." Vanessa said, pointing at a building on the wall around a quarter the way around from them. Not particularly far from the main path they were on, and seeming to be either slightly larger or more important than most of it's surroundings. If anything, it seemed to have fewer buildings nearby, but looked along the same construction logic as the rest.

by Sander of Arescod on 4-60-5 (February 20, 2015 23:06)   Arriving in a grand round cavern, he stared at the ongoing commotion open-mouthed. The place was actually still inhabited?! This place... was quite the miracle. It was some kind of Utopian world under Iungard, safe from the murderous world outside. A place of study and peace. As Vanessa pointed out where she had lived, Sander carefully inspected the building. Not quite larger than the others, but certainly a bit more secluded to offer a tad more privacy.
"This place is simply amazing..." Sander muttered under his breath.

by Vanessa Calinus on 5-1-6 (February 22, 2015 15:40)   "I wouldn't say anything quite like that." Vanessa responded, "Although I think it's time for us to get back. I'm being looked for."
Grabbing one Sander's hands, she began muttering something under her breath.
A couple seconds later the world around them seemed to crack and break as if it was a window slowly shattering. Behind the shards lie a second view, this one back in Ascalon, in  Virnal, in the main hall of it's castle. Just a few moment after everything returned to normal, a voice was heard.
"Lady Vanessa, there you are. The architects have returned and are awaiting your review." A servant spoke, entering from one of the side hallways.
"Of course, show them in, in a few minutes." Vanessa replied, before turning to the somewhat visisbly shaken Sander "You're welcome to stay for a while if you want. It'll juts be boring road planning stuff though. Don't think it'll last too long, but you never know. You might want to take a moment to recover before leaving anyways."

by Sander of Arescod on 5-1-6 (February 22, 2015 16:28)   Before he could protest, the world around him already started changing. Feeling his stomach turn into an acrobat as he got used to his new surroundings, he sought support against a nearby chair as Vanessa waved away one of her servants.
"Y-Yeah..." He managed, breathing heavily. "Wouldn't mind a warning next time..."
As he regained his composure he noticed the books lying untouched on the table. With a vaguely amused smirk he picked those up and left for his quarters.
"I'm going to take a moment to ... refresh myself." He said. "I'll see you at dinner."

by Vanessa Calinus on 5-1-6 (February 22, 2015 17:00)   Vanessa sighed as she walked. It shouldn't have taken that long. Stupid Second Ones not trusting her opinion. Three hours to argue over a road, two of that spent on a single mile of of it. So stupid.
And to make it all even better, she'd gotten so used to being caught up in things that most of the castle staff had already prepared, finished, and cleaned up dinner. Which meant it'd been almost another hour for her to make her own food and some for Sander, who she'd hoped hadn't eaten earlier.
"What time is it anyways?" She mumbled carrying the plates of food to the study she'd been told he was in.
Arriving, she kicked the door a couple times with her foot, and then stood back a bit for him to open it.
"Sorry that took so long . . ."

by Sander of Arescod on 5-1-6 (February 22, 2015 17:04)   Looking up from the sudden interaction, his surprised expression ws exchanged for a warmer one when he noticed it was Vanessa knocking on the door, carrying plates of dinner.
"Ah, dinner! How kind of you to bring it here! No need for apologies, I was about to depart for the dining hall!" He replied. It was indeed very nice of her to do that. One would expect that one's servants would do such meaningless tasks, but if a First One did it him- or herself, it clearly gained a new meaning over basic necessity.

by Vanessa Calinus on 5-1-6 (February 22, 2015 17:29)   "You'd have found it empty, everyone else here ate a couple hours ago." She stated, entering the room and setting the plates down on the table across from one another.
"I figured, now that you've had some time to compose yourself, we could eat and talk." Vanessa suggested, as she took a seat at the table. "I figure you probably have lots of questions, now that you've had a moment to figure out what they are."

by Sander of Arescod on 5-1-6 (February 22, 2015 17:51)   Nodding as he tasted the food, which was neither exceptionally good nor remarkably bad.
"Yeah. What is this ... thing you do. Magic. You didn't really explain it earlier. How does it work. When did you learn it...?" He began. "Most of the Ascalonian court would be terrified if they knew. Perhaps it would be best to notify the King in a positive way about it. Roran is a good person, but if he finds out the wrong way, he might declare some laws that could threaten your position here." Sander continued. "Perhaps Tyvandor has told him about it, he should've know magic existed, but somehow I doubt that. I've got the feeling Tyvandor is not at all fond of magic."

My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 07:42:16 PM »
by Vanessa Calinus on 5-1-6 (February 22, 2015 18:19)  Vanessa thought for a moment, taking a bite of food while debating where to begin.
"It is said that all new children have a small potential to use magic. This potential increases near the points in the planet where magic is more abundant, and can also increase if the parents themselves are mages. I know my father to be a mage, and the stories tell of my mother using magic as well to a more limited degree. Iungard itself is centered on one of the focusing points for such energy, for reasons my father won't say." Did her cooking taste this poor now? She questioned as she took another bite. She remembered it being better. This was alright, definitely edible, defintely not bad, per se, but it used to be better.
"I started learning magic about the same time I started learning my first words, according to what my father says. It is akin to having a sixth sense to me. I don't remember starting to learn it, I just remember learning to master it. Back at Iungard, around eighty percent of the population can use magic to some degree, so if my father wasn't around, someone was always there to tutor me."
"This ranges from simple lights," Vanessa demonstrated one by creating a very tiny orb of light above an outstretched finger, "To the more powerful magics that were used in creation of the Halls. The magic I used, probably falls closer to the smaller end than the larger end."
"As to how it works, well, this is all a theory I recall reading once, but, it is said that magic is in itself a manipulation of the life energy that exists in the world. The vast majority of people are in tune to it to some degree, though relatively few are able to directly use it. Every living thing in the world produces this energy and consumes this energy. It is akin to how you eat to stay alive, your body takes some magical energy from the food it consumes, from the air you breath, even from the area you stand in, and uses it. It then, in turn, gives off it's own energy, slightly altered from your usage. Slightly changed to reflect you."
"The world shows us that when enough energy comes together in one place from a single event, you can create situations that would not otherwise be possible. Examples would be haunted ruins, old battlefields that give off weird auras, even physical alterations of the landscape, permanently scared by the magic present. When people die, all the energy they'd stored is released at once, coupled with their emotions at death, and it can have near permanent effects on an area."
"It is further theorized, that you exchange energy with those you are thinking about, even when you are not near them. It is believed that this is what allows you to dream things that have happened when you have no knowledge of the event, that some siblings can 'know' when each other is around, or even when mothers seem to know that something has happened to their child. Either because you picked up some of their energy from the environment, or because you are subconsciously exchanging this energy with them."
"If I lost you," Vanessa paused, "Let me know so I can explain better. It won't be on par with my father's explanations, but I've asked the same questions as you will, I suspect."

by Sander of Arescod on 5-2-1 (February 22, 2015 18:29)   Sander carefully listened to her explanation while he worked through the food. He had to correct himself on his earlier statement. While the initial few bits had been dry, he was an absolute fan of the stew it was accompagnied with. As he collected the last bits of stew with fresh bread, he thought of a reply to Vanessa's monologue about magic.
"I see. Say, this 'magical energy', is it a seperate entity of normal 'energy'? You compared eating replenishes your normal energy as much as it does increase your magic energy. What would happen if you used magic when you would be for example, starving to death, having very few of your 'normal' energy? And what happens when you run out of 'magical energy'? I assume you would die in that case, right?" Sander continued. "Powerful magic  would in that case kill the user before it could take place entirely, or at all?" He asked her. It was obvious he was trying to find out how the limits of this system worked, silently hoping that in the end his earlier beliefs weren't that far off. Only the Gods had acces to these powerful and unimaginable magics, right?

by Vanessa Calinus on 5-2-1 (February 22, 2015 18:43)   "You have good questions. It is separate. When you run out, you won't die, as your body produces a bit on it's own regardless, but I suppose . . . you'd feel lethargic. Probably." Vanessa wasn't even entirely confident in that answer. She'd asked that question before, and knew you wouldn't die, but what happened beyond that?
"As to the starving man, it depends on his location. Even a powerful mage can starve to death. While yes, you can use magic to make food, it's not as good for you as regular food, and you expend some of your normal energy in the process. Most foods are a net loss overall, and the ones that aren't, aren't very nutritious. Some people are also more efficient at magic than others, using less energy for the same spell. Power is the amount you can control at once, while efficiency is how much you have to use for the same effect. Not the same thing, or connected at all, oddly enough."
"You know how I said you leave a mark on the magic your body processes? Some mages refer to this mark as the image of their soul. When you cast a spell, you use your soul to commit to it's casting. First your soul will use all the excess energy it has, the magical energy you've collected in excess. If it runs out, it starts using it's own energy, that which it itself has processed and held on to. You've already committed at this point though, you either do or die trying. Your soul will use itself if all else runs out, this includes the energy it's using to make new energy for itself."

by Sander of Arescod on 5-2-1 (February 22, 2015 21:30)   "So if you try to do something with magic that costs too much energy, such as say, raze a castle, then you will exhaust all your energy and die?" Sander inquired. He wanted to find out how dangerous mages really were. If one could wipe out an entire army at once, or raze a castle at a whim, then why did castles and soldiers matter that much? Ascalon would be better off investing in recruiting mages!

by Vanessa Calinus on 5-2-2 (February 23, 2015 06:07)   "Mages of the caliber are rare, Sander. Well, now they are anymore." She corrected herself, realizing that razing a castle was relatively simple if you knew it's design or if it wasn't warded against it. "Most were called into service during the Gods War, and well . . . didn't make it back."

by Sander of Arescod on 5-2-4 (February 23, 2015 13:26)   Somewhere, Sander admitted to himself, he wasn't sad that most of those mages had died. What use had the labours of many years if a mage, gifted by the Gods, could wipe that all away with minimal effort. It would make so many things to meaningless.
"I understand." Was all he said, wisely keeping his opinion to himself. It was clear that Vanessa saw mages as something mostly good, and voicing this opinion would not help their conversation anywhere.
"What are these wards then that could protect something from a mage?" He asked instead, trying to find out how one could protect himself in case he would encounter a mage anyways.

by Vanessa Calinus on 5-2-4 (February 23, 2015 13:46)   "Hmmm~" Vanessa monotoned, thinking. This was a tricky question. "If you could create some sort of device to draw the energy to an area and then shunt it elsewhere, you could make it less enticing for a mage to show up. But you'd need a mage to create the device originally, and you'd have to trust him not to utilize it's focusing himself."
"Alternatively, some cultures have glyphs or runs the lay person can utilize. It's not so much not using magic, as it is using the intent of magic. These runes have some meaning attached to them, and when they are printed this meaning is transferred to the object they are on."
"Neither of these would stop a powerful mage though. The first one would annoy him, and the second would just slow him down a little. The best bet is generally to have another mage around." Vanessa spoke, juding by Sander's reaction this isn't the answer he wanted.
"It doesn't have to be local. Take my father for instance. The chance of another mage of his class moving into the area are lower simply because he's here and his wards are so prominent it makes it pretty obvious he means business if someone tries something."

by Sander of Arescod on 5-3-2 (February 24, 2015 15:16)   "I understand." Sander said, nodding to himself. "So in fact, a powerful mage is nigh unstoppable by 'ordinary' first ones?" Sander then asked. "Are there any examples in history you know of in which powerful mages were involved, or were defeated? By ordinary first ones without magic?" Sander then asked. It was disheartening to suddenly learn that all the values he had learned to respect were so meaningless faced with the discovery of a single thing.

by Vanessa Calinus on 5-3-2 (February 24, 2015 15:33)   "They're not omniscient, Sander." Vanessa responded, matter-of-factually, "Can we talk about something other than how to best kill me? It's kind of worrisome."

by Sander of Arescod on 5-3-2 (February 24, 2015 15:44)   Suddenly realizing it was quite eery that he was indeed inquiring after such while she was a mage herself, he shrugged. "Of course! It's all new information for me, and it's weird to learn how little you actually control your fate."

by Vanessa Calinus on 5-3-2 (February 24, 2015 15:48)   "To be honest, you control your fate a lot less than you realize anyways." Vanessa added. "When it comes down to it, between your family, friends, lords, vassals, enemies, and rivals, you yourself control very little."
"No one wants to admit to how little they are in control of though. Sure, you always have the choice, but you also have aspirations so the choice is usually already selected for you. Take you for instance, Diplomat of the King. You don't decide where to visit next, you are simply ordered where to go. You could scorn your duties, but where would that get you?"

by Sander of Arescod on 5-3-2 (February 24, 2015 16:13)   "You are of course correct. That does not make it more of a comfortable thought anyways. Anyhow, tell me, what had you in fact expected of the mainland when you first travelled here?" Sander then asked, hoping to change the subject into something more lighthearted.

by Vanessa Calinus on 5-3-6 (February 25, 2015 12:57)   "Something different." Vanessa stated.
"I wasn't really expecting much, Sander. I just wanted to be somewhere different, somewhere where I didn't know everyone already and hold this weird position of quasi-authority."
"Sort of similar question, is this what you wanted to be?"

by Sander of Arescod on 5-4-2 (February 26, 2015 01:12)   Thinking for a moment about Vanessa's question, he finally started nodding a soft yes. "I'm not sure what else I would have wanted to become. Fate decided I would be born into a side-branch of my House, and not as its leader, so I am content to strive after my political ambitions in this manner. Perhaps not as much as I wanted to, as you made me clear while I was here and before that, but I certainly cannot complain about my position." Sander replied, rubbing his chin as he did. It was a quirk of the young first one to do that when he was really thinking hard.

by Vanessa Calinus on 5-9-2 (March 6, 2015 13:57)   Vanessa yawned. Her plate had long since been cleaned and the sudden onset of tiredness making her wonder what time it was. Almost reflexively she called up a small spell and a pattern of light floated above her hand. A few seconds later, it disappeared.
"It's getting late Sander, we should probably get some sleep." Vanessa spoke, rising from her seat and heading for the door. "You can leave the plate and stuff here, I'll clean it up tomorrow morning."

by Sander of Arescod on 5-9-2 (March 6, 2015 14:01)   Sander nodded in response as he yawned himself. It was contagious! He found it a tad weird though that she wanted to clean the plates herself. She had enough servants for that anyways, right? But he had the feeling that Vanessa was, partly due to her life in the Iungard underground city, a woman who liked to do thing herself every once in a while.
"Thank you. Good night to you, Vanessa." He said, and stoop up, carrying his load of books to his room again. It had been an exhaustingly eventful day. But not a bad one.

by Vanessa Calinus on 5-9-3 (March 6, 2015 14:48)   Vanessa smiled a bit as he wandered off. He really was as innocent as he seemed. "Goodnight to you as well, Sander."
And with that she retired to her quarters to recover from both the day and the magics she had used in it.

by Vanessa Calinus on 5-9-3 (March 6, 2015 15:21)   The next morning, after waking and taking care of the dishes from the night before, Vanessa found herself once again in the main hall, staring at maps with tokens placed here and there and new lines added denoting this and that.
"Hopefully, I'll be done with this soon." She muttered, as she worked. Sometime in the next couple hours, she figured, Sander would wake and be departing. Being here in the main hall, it'd be hard to miss his departure.

by Sander of Arescod on 5-9-3 (March 6, 2015 15:27)   Sander had already packed his stuff, ready to leave once again. Sadly, duty called once more. But he did have the time to leave at a respectable hour after a word of goodbye to Vanessa though. Entering the main hall where he knew his servant awaited him with his steed on the other side of the doors, he spotted Vanessa.
"Good morning Vanessa. Sadly, the time has arrived for me to leave. Duty calls as they say! I do have to admit though that my time here was ... very enlightening to say the least!" He said, jokingly mentioning at the small light accompagnying Vanessa, which still intimidated him more than he'd ever admit.

by Vanessa Calinus on 5-9-3 (March 6, 2015 16:24)   "Good morning to you as well." Vanessa replied, making her way towards Sander.
"All things must come to an end lest we lose our beginnings." She spoke, stopping her approach not as close as yesterday morning, but definitely closer than most would go. This actually surprised even herself a bit.
"Do you think you'll come again?" She asked, a bit of longing in both her voice and eyes.

by Sander of Arescod on 5-9-3 (March 6, 2015 16:40)   *Sander strangely longed to stay here, but he knew that he really did not have much chance. *
"I definitely will, as soon as my duties allow me of course." He replied. "Untill next time!" He said as he somewhat awkwardly stepped backwards and madehi way towards the doors of the hall, his heavy books slung over his shoulder in a bag.

The Vintroth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 09:36:23 PM »
I can't help but to be slightly amused by "his estate in Vintroth" for one obvious reason, just as I was amused by when I first started playing the game and found said estate.

But I thank you for sharing it, I greatly enjoyed reading it.

Dystopian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 06:09:57 AM »
One thing I wonder, are Weaver's contributions actually part of the lore?

Tbh Weaver I can never understand it, and to me that makes it mysterious.

Weaver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 12:32:04 PM »
It pretty much is part of the Heaven's Lost Fate lore-series. If you remember, that was supposed to be the big overarching background lore that everyone can contribute to but no one ever did.

But yeah, only those who met the characters, or read the wiki, might be able to understand every minute detail of the stuff I write. I try to keep it mysterious on purpose though.

Dystopian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 06:32:21 PM »
I do actually like that. The House of Order is truly feared, even if those fears are based only on the rumors that trickle out of the Imperium. I want to make the Trinity more fleshed out but I'd hate just to take that on myself to do. Not really sure if anyone would care, but I don't really wanna take the Ehndras approach.

No offense Ehndras. Love ya mate.

Roran Hawkins

• "He whose thread shall not be flamed."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 08:53:49 PM »
Don't spread our smut!  ;D  The world mustn't know!
The story of Ascalon's forum threads.
Founder of Ascalon, professional whiner, minor storyteller.

Weaver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 08:58:21 PM »
*throws pokeball at Roran to capture him*

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 09:05:13 PM »
Don't tempt me to post the rest of them Roran. :P

Roran Hawkins

• "He whose thread shall not be flamed."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 10:10:51 PM »
You have caught a Roro! How shall you name him?
The story of Ascalon's forum threads.
Founder of Ascalon, professional whiner, minor storyteller.

Weaver

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 12:52:47 AM »
Rooroo.