Author Topic: Rulership elections  (Read 1318 times)

Cipheron

• View Profile
Rulership elections
« on: October 16, 2016, 12:18:10 PM »
I have characters in an otherwise slumbering realm. There is no ruler and I can't do a whole lot with what there is. Can someone fill me in on the minimum requirements to get leadership elections happening?

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
Re: Rulership elections
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 02:14:59 PM »
Code needs to be updated to fix this. Or rather, the existing code needs modified to catch these. Without log outputs I can't see why the elections aren't running, even though the code for cycle changes (that is, turns) is supposed to detect and fix all instances of ruler-less realms that don't have ruler elections running, and then call an election for ruler for that realm.

May just work in a way to fire off that code manually as part of a functional GM interface, until I can figure out why the cycle code isn't handling it. I could probably work up the code for that in 2-3 days (as compared to fixing the cycle bug which eluded Tom for ... over a year now I think) if my understanding of how the game works is what I think it is, but I don't have access to the game's live files myself--only Tom does, so only he can actually apply the new code.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 02:39:15 PM by Andrew »
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Vamking12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 07:38:04 PM »
Having the same problem

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 11:42:32 AM »
It is a long standing issue. I am working on replicating it so we can finally get to the bottom of it.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Beylan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 08:56:51 AM »
Submitted a bug report for this. What I think happens is the election code breaks when a rulership is passed from one slumberblighted character to the next.

For example, a player has 2 characters. One is made ruler  and the other is set as the successor. If the player goes inactive, slumberblight hits the ruler -> position passes to successor -> slumberblight hits successor. However, the system seems unable to properly recognise the fact that this new ruler is also blighted, and automatic elections do not fire.

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 01:03:02 PM »
I've looked at the code for this a few times. It's not an issue with slumber blighted characters. I mean, that is an issue of it's own, but the failure of elections to fire is probably because it's not storing the last election properly.

Every in-game day (if I'm understanding the gamerunner file right) the game goes through and checks every realm for whether or not it has a ruler. If it finds one without a ruler it is supposed to set a timeout and fire off an election. I don't think the timeout is actually stored anywhere though, or if it is, it's not stored properly, or the game isn't firing an election when it should when the timer hits 15 days.

There's a couple ways to fix this: 1) we add a second check to find slumberblighted characters as well, and properly hand them off to whomever should have them next, if anyone. This would probably be best as it's own process of the ruler cycle rather than part of the vacant position checking though. 2) we scrap auto-elections entirely and leave it to the players to manage, which would involve adding an option to the election form to allow it to be an election for ruler, or we just create a button somewhere that will create a new election on the fly.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)