Author Topic: Ethan's and Mae's lands  (Read 403 times)

Weaver

• View Profile
Ethan's and Mae's lands
« on: September 22, 2016, 11:02:18 AM »
When a vassal of the Imperium told my character that he did not find much resistance in the south, I ended up retelling him the story of the history of those lands, and how it all seemed to come together into what their previous owners believed in. I thought it was very touching, and it is definitely worth sharing with everyone. Here is what the Unraveling Morning Sun had to say:

#####################################################################

The lands that I sent you to reconquer have been in the keeping of Ethan Van Valen, a man of royal blood who fled his home, and tried to live in peace, venerating the Goddess of Oho-- the Goddess of passion and love. Weaver of the Broken Threads sent Mae Van Valen, then known as the Dragon of the Festival, as a diplomatic envoy to the lands rich with metal. The two fell in love. When the war broke out, Ethan went back home to Rathgar, became Emperor, and raised an army to fight Eldamar-- a campaign he quickly lost. Mae left us as well, and died fighting in the Lowlands war-- the lands came into possession of Martyn Lann, through succession and inheritance, and Ethan never came back for them, and then he too, mad with grief over losing Mae, died in battle.

Those lands are extremely valuable to us for cultural reasons. A love that strong must be protected, and it makes me believe that the Goddess of Passion and love really did shine upon those two, and gave them something no other First One or Mortal shall ever feel or know. A miracle. Two countries, so far apart from each other, came together through the promise from one man to one woman. One man, who was a self-exiled King, and a woman, who gave up her Fate and Name to fight the forces of Chaos. Do you understand, Vasiliy? Protecting this memory with all our strength is necessary to preserve the possibility that this miracle could happen again, to someone.

It is not something for mortal minds, no matter how immortal we may be, to understand. We can only believe that it exists, having seen it happen-- this kind of power-- this kind of love. How fitting is it then, that you found no violence when you went there, seeking war?

I will see if I can find a place to send you to, more readily accepting of the gift you bring them.

##########################################################

A few notes to those unfamiliar. The way these sentences are said, assume that the listener, an Imperial, knows what is actually being said.

When 'The War broke out' is mentioned, it is meant, the Imperial Civil War. And when he says 'to fight Eldamar' he means to fight Eldamar, who was the enemy of the Imperium.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 07:42:43 PM by Weaver »

WVH

• View Profile
Re: Ethan's and Mae's lands
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 05:18:09 PM »
Brilliant.

Of all the characters I have played, Ethan's story was one I did not expect to become fun to play out... or to end in beautiful tragedy.