Author Topic: Creating a Ruler Chat  (Read 1102 times)

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
Creating a Ruler Chat
« on: September 03, 2016, 11:36:53 PM »
Long requested, I can sort of see why this wasn't high on Tom's to do list. Creating a ruler conversation in M&F is an easy thing to do. On the onset, it seems so, atleast. What is tricky, is managing it automatically in a game where a message can theoretically last as long as the game or as short as a few minutes if two guys in a private conversation die on turn change.

So far, I think I've set it up so that as part of the turn system it will query for every sovereign realm, then find the rulers of those realms.

The problem I'm having is that 1) conversations in M&F are long-term but 2) you don't want to clog the ruler conversation with old messages.

A solution for this could be to copy messages from the ruler conversation to a private user-only conversation, and then delete them from the ruler conversation.

Alternatively, you could just regenerate the ruler conversation every month, which would be simpler but not as friendly, in my opinion.

Going back to the first solution, is it possible to load two conversations at once, so the ruler chat and it's archive appear as one to the user?

The other big question, how do you tell the game that this one conversation is special?
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
Re: Creating a Ruler Chat
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 02:00:17 AM »
Alright, so I decided that the easiest way to do this was to add another variable I can sort conversations by, and to do that I had to crack open the msgbundle. For simplicty, all conversations will be able to have $system set to a particular string. As of right now this will be exclusive to ruler chats, but later it could be used as a way to do in-game event announcements or guilds or any other thing that doesn't qualify as a realm (though guilds will probably use the $realm string rather than $system).
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 07:31:57 PM »
It is not that it was difficult. It is that it is counter-productive to the core game ideas. It eliminates the need for diplomats, it eliminates locality, it spits in the face of everything that M&F is supposed to be.

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 04:15:00 AM »
Adding that to my list of things you say no to.

The majority of the work for it should be adaptable for using with associations.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 04:41:26 PM »
review my concept of tower communication (it's a branch in the repository). That is closer in line with my vision - long-distance communication yes, but at a price.

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 10:03:07 AM »
Figuring out the tower communication concept is on a todo list. Soon to be THE todo list, but still, it's on one of them.

This did drive me to start figuring out how to turn the game messaging into it's own part of the cycle change rather than split between realms and characters, which is good in the long run.

Even in my misdirected efforts, I am learning things though.

Constantine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 03:12:59 PM »
It is actually sad to see how dev's efforts to increase interaction and roleplay actually end up decreasing it by a lot. And no lessons are being learned it seems.

Ehndras

• Urist Tarzath, Emperor of the Children of Armok
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 12:52:06 AM »
Honestly... We need something that helps people communicate better.

Simple fact is, the current system is way too difficult to communicate over long distances.

The one time I managed to do so, I had to send Lysandra Gault-Moore across the entire world, picking up "stones" over the journey.

Its a massive pain in the ass to get any sort of widespread discussion going, which then just hampers the growth, spread, and intrigue present in nations.

We need tournaments or some sort of EVENT that brings people together, like we had in Battlemaster.

Something to get people actually speaking and interacting, without trying to fuck each other over.
Mors Principium Est - Death is only the beginning

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 04:16:27 AM »
I've toyed with the concept of a GM faction invading, even tying it into a race system and having things like weapons, soldier classes, city types even, all dependent on what race your first one is. Then letting that faction bleed into general availability as players interact with them.

Thing is, Might & Fealty is a low fantasy title, and things like elves and the like are not low fantasy.

That said, if you set it up as, say, an ancestry (that the word I'm looking for?) system, sort of like how the elder scrolls games have like twenty types of humans...

Ehndras

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 04:58:36 AM »
Aye, ancestry sounds about right.

You've probably noted how the Children of Armok claim to hail from the blood of a Dwarvish God. ;)

Just the same, my Auru'in kin claim to hail from a distant Archipelago with its own brand of cultures.

I could see a distinct race of oversea invaders, played by various players at your discretion, could shake things up a bit.

I very much love creating new lore and would be happy to participate, if you so choose that route.

Hell, we could throw in artifacts and all sorts of goodies to make it even more fun and reward.

Hell... Half the world is slumbering - if not more. It'd bring in some much-needed change.

I'm in the process of reconquering the south myself, and setting up the Arkh Imperium - the mythical land from which my old bloodlines once hailed.

Its where the Black Order came from, and what inspires most of the random crazy lore I come up with.

Including all the nuttery about the Void.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 05:10:18 AM »
I've toyed with the concept of a GM faction invading, even tying it into a race system and having things like weapons, soldier classes, city types even, all dependent on what race your first one is. Then letting that faction bleed into general availability as players interact with them.

Thing is, Might & Fealty is a low fantasy title, and things like elves and the like are not low fantasy.

That said, if you set it up as, say, an ancestry (that the word I'm looking for?) system, sort of like how the elder scrolls games have like twenty types of humans...

This sounds like something that would be an interesting extension of the Culture System. However it is a double edged sword. Without some oversight you would end up making things that don't actually fit the setting official. For example the Children of Armok would be able to make the existence of Dwarfs official, were it currently is non canon.

As to the original post, a compromise is something I have previously suggested. Th concept was message groups tied to realms or a realms title system. The idea was to allow for say diplomats to all easily access diplomatic conversations and for them to persist regardless of the death of individual character. To support Toms desire of limited communication, there could be some form of maintenance or cost for the groups.

When I have the time I want to review the message tower system and see if I can produce some sort of road map for the message system that allows for "local and limited" messaging without making the system a complete pain in the arse.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 05:20:16 AM by De-Legro »
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Ehndras

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 08:39:35 AM »
*Hugs De-Legro*

Yes please.

Emphasis on the not massive pain in the ass.

Shouldn't take 50 pints of blood, 4 virgin sacrifices, 3 million ducats, two bloody tournaments, and a First One in a pear tr- err, yeah. All of that to actually communicate outside of your realm.

As it stands, it makes things quite lonely, boring, and stale.

Its too HARD to communicate properly. For example, I've been trying to communicate with certain characters and can't seem to find the bastards.

Instead, I'm just going to start a nation, set up some vassal requests, and hope I get lucky. :| If not, I'm trashing everyone nearby and watching the world burn.

At this point, I'm sure I'm not the only one dreaming of a world-wipe...

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 09:12:47 AM »
Alright, so I was thinking about this on the way back from finishing my run (it's a bit of a walk, but doubles as a cooldown), and bear in mind that this is totally just me throwing something out there, but how about this for a player-culture system:
  • Requires certain world level criteria to create one:
  • ----> Controlling 5% of the world population for a certain amount of time (6 months plus/2 game years): this would be the top 8 largest realms in game right now.
  • ----> Having a major role in world events: think a smaller realm that was pivotal in a major war, or just anything that made them stand out and be recognized on a world scale
  • ----> Controlling a significant area of land for an extended period of time (again, 5 mos/2g yrs)
  • May also be inherited by:
  • ----> Being part of a realm that has one (requires a certain period of time, short-ish)
  • ----> Marrying someone that has one (requires a certain period of time, short-ish)
  • ----> Being vassal of someone that has one (for a certain period of time, medium length-ish)
  • ----> Taking part in world events (iffy on any sort of gm-led events ever happening, but want to list it aynways)
  • Can act as a modifier to realm stats across the board:
  • ----> Maybe your culture is known for their ability to handle gold
  • ----> Perhaps they're just efficient builders
  • ----> Maybe they excel at defending cave cities
  • Maybe it shifts your selection of options entirely:
  • ----> Per chance you remember echos of ages past
  • ----> Maybe they are pros at mounted combat and horse breeding but dislike heavier armor
  • ----> Perhaps they hate horses but have creative ranged weapons
  • ----> Maybe you have better dark vision, but aren't fond of skies
I'm also tempted to tie this into world events even further by making the game do modifications based on wars and slave counts (but to do that, I'd have to make it track where slaves are from).
I really want to introduce asymmetric economies, politics, and warfare, if you can't tell.

Ehndras

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 09:25:58 AM »
OOoohhh... I REALLY like those ideas.

Constantine

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 06:41:20 PM »
To support Toms desire of limited communication,
Why? Why support a bad idea? Why cling to something that is obviously objectively harmful to the game?

Also, please, no player created cultures. We will inevitably end up with lots of retarded crap in the end.