Author Topic: Coding in Seats of Power  (Read 336 times)

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
Coding in Seats of Power
« on: September 03, 2016, 08:01:26 PM »
I'm sure these will require some tweaking, but here's the first draft for needs and requirments for the realm government buildings:

Code: [Select]
        'Local Seat'        => array('auto' =>    0, 'min' =>    100, 'work' =>   5000, 'ratio' =>   500, 'defenses' => 5, 'requires' => array('Carpenter','Dirt Streets'), 'conditions'=>true),
        'Regional Seat'        => array('auto' =>    0, 'min' =>   1000, 'work' => 500000, 'ratio' =>   250, 'defenses' => 10, 'requires' => array('Local Seat','Mason','Blacksmith','Paved Streets','Inn','School','Town Hall', 'Guardhouse'), 'conditions'=>true),
        'Imperial Seat'        => array('auto' =>    0, 'min' =>   3000, 'work' =>1000000, 'ratio' =>   100, 'defenses' => 10, 'requires' => array('Regional Seat','Stone Walls','Library','Saddler','Barracks'), 'conditions'=>true),

And construction costs/benefits:
Code: [Select]
        'Local Seat'        => array('wood'=>array('construction'=>2000), 'metal'=>array('construction'=>300), 'money'=>array('construction'=>100, 'provides'=>2, 'bonus'=>1), 'food'=>array('bonus'=>1)),
        'Regional Seat'        => array('wood'=>array('construction'=>8000), 'metal'=>array('construction'=>1000), 'money'=>array('construction'=>1000, 'bonus'=>3), 'food'=>array('bonus'=>3)),
        'Imperial Seat'        => array('wood'=>array('construction'=>20000), 'metal'=>array('construction'=>2500), 'money'=>array('construction'=>2500, 'operation'=>10, 'bonus'=>6), 'food'=>array('bonus'=>6)),

The idea here is to simulate that these structures simulate the requirements and benefits of having a regional administration headquartered in the area, as well as some of the costs to maintain them. And not just that you're building the building, but also literally building the administration of a government from the ground up. That task is a MASSIVE investment of resources--literally the only thing that costs more than an Imperial Seat is a Citadel.

I'm not sure on the Imperial Seats ratio yet, but it WILL be high. This number, for those who don't want to look it up, helps determine how many people need to operate it. For the Imperial Seat thats 1 of every 100, to simulate the fact that this structure is running an entire Empire's bureaucracy. Likewise, the Regional Seat comes in sort of mid-range, as this is what Marcher Lords, Dukes, and Princes would likely have. Local Seats were intentionally designed to be buildable in mountain estates. To a degree, that means that people may actually nag you to make them a baron if they run a mountain region after this gets added (Yay, more realms!).

And yes, these will give small defense bonuses, as these are structures that would have their own security details, as well as to simulate the fact that people working for the realm frequently travel to and fro.

You might notice that the top set there also says "'conditions'=>true". This will have the game check to see if it's meets certain conditions, namely that the person building it is the ruler of the realm and that there isn't already a seat of power in that realm. For Local Seats it will also check that the estate it's built in is part of the realm that you are a ruler of. For the other two, it'll simply check that it's part of a realm that is part of the realm you rule, meaning your capital need not necessarily be part of your Sovereign Realm. When I finish those, I'll post those up here so you can see them.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
Re: Coding in Seats of Power
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 12:33:36 PM »
I really like it. Most of us already have "capitals". Having the game support and show such locations is great and could lead to other mechanics around wars and territory gain.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 01:54:40 PM »
Ideally, these will end up tying into a lot of other things, down the line, that players can do to mold the world and make it their own. Beyond that though, I'd like to add things that make it apparent that rather than just showing that you can mold things, that the game world lives in and reacts to those changes.

Yes, you're powerful, and you control so much, but to the world, you're a stone in the river. Get enough of stones though, and you can change the course of that river.
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Demivar

• Purveyor of cunning plans.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 05:18:43 PM »
Ideally, these will end up tying into a lot of other things, down the line, that players can do to mold the world and make it their own. Beyond that though, I'd like to add things that make it apparent that rather than just showing that you can mold things, that the game world lives in and reacts to those changes.

Yes, you're powerful, and you control so much, but to the world, you're a stone in the river. Get enough of stones though, and you can change the course of that river.
What if you want to throw your stones at other people, instead?

Anyway, I've found the thread I was looking for. This'll bump it on the forums so those who haven't read it, can.
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Radovid's like you
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: but then insane
22:34 - Roran Hawkins: Dijkstra is like you

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 01:47:20 PM »
Trebuchets.