Author Topic: A Matter of Fealty  (Read 645 times)

Dystopian

• View Profile
A Matter of Fealty
« on: August 01, 2016, 09:00:37 PM »
I thought I would share as this section of the forum seems to have been neglected. This conversation was between Feanor Halfhaven and Lena af Kennercrach.

Lena arrived to see Havengate in the distance. She stopped to watch it for a moment before starting forward once again, to meet with her new Lord.

She had sent a herald ahead to announce her arrival, so the gates could be opened and any other preparations dealt with in a timely fashion.

A messenger arrives with a missive reading:
Greeting Lady Kennercrach,
I've looked forward to your arrival. I'm assuming Sir Alberich was polite enough with you? In any case I shall send word to the guards to allow your entry. We can discuss the terms of your fealty in short order. Welcome to Havengate my Lady.
Signed,
Count Feanor Halfhaven of Havengate
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 09:03:48 PM by Dystopian »

Dystopian

• View Profile
Re: A Matter of Fealty
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 09:04:35 PM »
Lena had read the message in silence, before sending the messenger back with her thanks and that she was looking forward to speaking with the Count. Truth was, she was unsure of the Count, which was not so strange, not having spoken or met the man before. Other then that, there was not many other words surrounding the man, leaving little to be known and much to hope.

The entry of Havengate went smoothly, as did the ride through the streets to the keep. Lena and her men stabled their horses. She was assigned a small room to prepare and wait for the Count to call upon her. She was famished, but did not call upon the servants to provide food. She was not a vassal of FŽanor yet, and would not call upon his household. It was not proper. Instead, she washed up best she could in the little time she expected she had, then dressed in a fine dark blue dress she had brought with her. Then she settled in a chair to wait for the Count's calling.

Dystopian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 09:06:15 PM »

"M'lord the Lady Kennercrach is awaiting your presence in the study." Feanor nodded and dismissed the servant, he continued overlooking the construction plans of a motte and bailey. It was almost finished but it would still take some weeks. Satisfied with himself he closed the scroll to be clothed in the formal northern style. His squire first draped his Lord in a perfumed bearskin cloak, underneath wearing a red velvet tunic. Lastly he donned his signet ring and a golden wyvern necklace. One last check in the blurry mirror and he was ready.

With his herald opening the oaken doors, the Count's eyes met the Lady's. Taking her hand into his warmly, he said "It is my utmost pleasure to make your acquaintance my Lady Kennercrach. I believe we have much to talk about this evening." Gesturing to the nearby recliners, "Let us take a seat, standing is for servants and soldiers."

A servant came forth from the shadows with a tray of several different wine glasses. Some were darker and red, others truly white or yellow. Feanor pointed at one and grabbed it but, the change of mind bring evident on his face, grabbed a glass of a dark red probably southern vintage. "My Lady is would, please drink. It would be my pleasure." Now turning to her, "Firstly I would like to know more about you my Lady. You must be as strong as your beautiful to have gained dominion over such a swath of northmen. How did that come to be?" He said as he took a drink from his glass.

Dystopian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 09:06:38 PM »

After being taken to the Count's study, she waited a while longer before the door opened. She gave a curtsey and took his hand firmly. "Count FŽanor, I have looked forward to meeting you in person. The very person who the polite Sir Alberich was sent by." she said, smiling warmly.

She took a seat, taking a glass of a red wine. "I will gladly drink. My thanks." she said before taking a sip. She watched him as he spoke, "Oh my." she said grinning even if it was not fully proper, "Do you compliment all Ladies in such a way when you first meet them?" she asked, her face showing her amusement, her eyes almost playful. She took another drink, "But." she said, still smiling. "To answer your question, I suppose you are right. I was what I needed to be. Being strong was a part of that indeed." she said, shrugging lightly. "That, and that the land had been mismanaged for quite some time. I started to change it. I was fair and strong, and that is something I find men and women alike will follow." she finished, taking another sip from her glass. The amused look returned, "And I suppose being pretty helps too." she said with a chuckle.

"I understand from Sir Alberich words, that you would be a fair and strong leader. That men and women such as myself will follow." she said, narrowing her eyes at him with a wry smile. "But." she said, "Can you see what abilities you lack and the worst part of your personality My Lord? A most important trait in a leader of men." she said, looking at him as she sipped from the glass.

Dystopian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 09:06:56 PM »

The expression on his face changed not, though the servants standing half hidden in the shadows held their breath. Swirling his glass nonchalantly, "I suppose yes I would be able to answer such a question my fair Lady, as I have known myself for many years. However I would like to know what you have gleamed so quickly of my personality from the few words we have shared in my Keep."

Finished with his glass, he held it out to the side without breaking contact with Lena, as a Sarantian servant took and returned with a new glass. "Do you always begin negotiations in such a manner?" Now he was the one to smile underneath his glass.

Dystopian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 09:07:14 PM »

Lena noted the servants reaction, but her eyes stayed on the Count and her smile did not leave her lips. Perhaps it was a wrong step, but a step nonetheless. She held her tongue for but a moment, "So far; Careful is the word I'd use to describe you My Lord. Not one to act too quickly in any way. Perhaps patient? Good traits those, if I would be one to judge. But I am not, I simply wish to know. I believe knowledge of things is a noble pursuit."

"Generally My Lord? Yes." she said to his question. She gave a soft sigh, "My Lord, if I somehow gave offence, it was not my intent." she finished before giving a shrug. "Do not misunderstand, My Lord Halfhaven, I understand my situation perfectly well. I understood it from before I met with Sir Alberich. With a word, you could have the lands I rule taken from me, the men who follow me killed or indeed join you to save their skins. Myself meeting the void or a powerless existence." she said, making a gesture, "But tell me My Lord" she said, "Would you have me beg for my small scraps of power not to be taken away by you, who commands wealth, power, men far beyond me?" she asked simply, as if stating a fact. "No, I won't be the one who begs. That I refuse to do, come what may." she said, shaking her head. "Instead, it is your choice, would you want a vassal who would beg for a scrap of power. Or one who seeks knowledge and who thinks for herself and would speak her mind?" she finished, sipping from her glass. Her eyes were something close to intense at this point but her smile was still present. "I am the latter, I won't beg."

Dystopian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 09:07:32 PM »
The expression on Feanor's face turned to almost docile awe for a moment, until he burst out in a fit of laughter. The scene continued for some prolonged moments, until the Count composed himself. "I must apologize my Lady," he said as he placed his unfinished glass on a waiting servants tray, "The wine may have corrupted me already it seems. It is as you say, I could have had you and your men flayed upon the road to Slumberstone by nightfall as tribute to my Lord. But what use would that have for me?" The Count leaned in closer and placed his hand once more on hers, "I did not ask you to beg my Lady, if I recall correctly. Though you are correct in assuming that you have little choice if you wish to keep your lands." Smiling again, in true sincerity "I do not need more unmanaged lands, that we have plenty of in the north of Ascalon. I need nobles of the finest crop to serve me, and me only. I may seem patient as of now, but such nonsense will not be tolerated if you shall represent my authority. I admire the capacity of my vassals to speak freely directly to me, as the advice of many has the wisdom of the Gods. Though we both understand that such things cannot be spoken in the eyes of other Lords. Your capabilities are obvious and proven my Lady, but make no mistake that I am the Lord of these lands. Respect shall be given, and returned. Remember, I did not need to send an envoy to ask for your fealty."

Dystopian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 09:07:49 PM »

Lena nodded to his words. "I believe we understand each other My Lord." she said finishing her glass of wine. "You did not need to send Sir Alberich true, but since you did, you have a new vassal." she said. She gave a chuckle and a wry smile, "Oh and, rest assured My Lord, I did not simply agree due to me having no choice. I believe you are a leader I am willing to follow."

Lena would then swear her oath to fealty.