Author Topic: Forum merging / new structure  (Read 1700 times)

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
Forum merging / new structure
« on: June 14, 2016, 08:35:47 AM »
At this time am running two complete forums (BM and MaF) and they both have sections about other topics as well.

I very much want to merge them into one. Each game would still have its own seperate section, it can even have its own look, but administration of one forum would be much easier than administration of two.

There would be some issues with user accounts and such. I haven't figured out how exactly to do it and if someone wants to dig into SMF docs and plugins that could help, it would be much appreciated. But ultimately, I cannot sustain several forums.

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
Re: Forum merging / new structure
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 08:14:05 PM »
You may want to think about what you brand this new forum before you merge the two. Right now you've the BattleMaster Forum, which includes BattleMaster, SpellMaster III, Shopkeeper, Schwarzwald, and [explorers] Mission Control, and the two BM expansions. It appears to be your projects forum. Might & Fealty's forum is simply itself.

Past that, BM has boards that haven't seen use in years, I can see one that goes back to 2011, another 2012, one to 2013, a couple that have passed the year-ago mark in 2015, and one dead re-direct. No offense, but the board could probably be condensed a bit just so it doesn't overload new users (part of the reason I want to put the dungeons board somewhere, among other things).

Anyways, moving on to the technical side, there appears to be a plugin that will do this, but I don't know if it'll work with this forums particular database (it appears to be built for MySQL), but reading through it the plugin itself seems to work alright. Failing that, you could probably do the bulk of it manually, it'd just be tedious as all hell. That's assuming they're both running the same database system.

So, there's a pertinent question: are they both running the same database system?
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 08:25:25 PM »
A couple other questions:

Is merging them the right option?
Related, if you want to not have to admin them, why not get someone to admin the BM forum?
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 07:52:19 AM »
It's not day-to-day moderation, I haven't done that in years. It's updates and system-level administration that nobody else can do.

Yes, it's a hell of a project which is why I've never touched it so far despite thinking about it for a long time.

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 03:00:34 AM »
So, what are you looking for then with these discussions? Opinions on merging them? Someone to help you by figuring out how to merge them? Or someone to merge them for you?

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 02:20:20 PM »
Firstly to inform everyone so that if one day I have a brilliant idea and just go ahead and do it, nobody is surprised.

Secondly to check if someone has had that brilliant idea already.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 12:54:57 AM »
Firstly to inform everyone so that if one day I have a brilliant idea and just go ahead and do it, nobody is surprised.

Secondly to check if someone has had that brilliant idea already.

Are they running the same version of software? I would think merging the user accounts is going to be the biggest pain as I have no real idea how the SMF system stores passwords and how transferable they will be.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 06:40:22 AM »
Same version, yes. Maybe one or the other is behind one minor version update, but in general, that should work.

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 07:43:07 AM »
There is a plugin for SMF version 2.0.6 for merging forums, and another plugin for finding and merging duplicate user accounts that I think is up to date for 2.0.11, based on it's discussions on github.

People have had the idea before, people have even done this before. Hell, I've even thought about it for this board, but I don't have the access to do it myself.

From what I understand, 2.0.X all runs the same database structure, so the tools should work outright, but obviously testing should be done. Once I'm back in Japan next week, I could easily setup a test bed for the two forums, if I'm provided with the databases for them, and figure out if they'll work outright, if any issues will crop up, and if any issues are resolvable.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 09:03:35 AM »
Obviously, we would set up a new forum, and then simply do a test run, see what breaks.