Author Topic: Expanding the Dungeons: Dungeons Wanted!  (Read 828 times)

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
Expanding the Dungeons: Dungeons Wanted!
« on: June 21, 2016, 09:04:57 AM »
Alright everyone, so right now there are 4 dungeon types, with 5 more on the way if Tom approves my additions. That said, I am presently working on expanding not only the monster types, but also the dungeon types. And that's where you come in! If you can think of a unique scenario that would make for an interesting dungeon, please, let me know!

Here's a nice template, including questions for planned updates to the code:

Code: [Select]
[b]Dungeon Name:[/b]
[b]Biomes it can appear in:[/b]
[b]Biomes it usually appears in:[/b]
[b]Description:[/b]

And example of this, using a current dungeon type:

Dungeon Name: Wilderness
Biomes it can appear in: Thin Scrubland, Scrubland, Marsh, Forest, & Dense Forest
Biomes it usually appears in: Marsh, Forest, Dense Forest
Description: This is an area of untamed wilderness, where you will find animals and strange creatures of nature. There are often treasures once belonging to travellers lost, or shiny things gathered by the inhabitants of these unexplored reaches.

Current dungeons in the game are: Caves, Wildernesses, Ruins, & Dungeons. I'm adding Infested Glades, Labyrinths, Bandit Holds, First One Forts, and Ancient Citadels. Duplicates are welcome, so don't worry if your idea is close to another that has been suggested or already exists in game.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:07:24 AM by Andrew »
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Foxglove

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Expanding the Dungeons: Dungeons Wanted!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 01:29:50 PM »
Dungeon name: Flooded Town
Biomes it can appear in: Marsh
Biomes it usually appears in: Marsh
Description: Once a thriving town, this place became the victim of a sudden shift in tides and water levels. Swiftly abandoned by a fleeing population, all manner of items that were left behind wait to be discovered.

If it's possible in the code to link a dungeon type to coastal regions (for example, to a region that allows a fishery) the biomes could be increased. If not, then it would just have to be marsh.

Dungeon name: Mausoleum
Biomes it can appear in: Grassland, Thin Grassland, Scrubland, Thin Scrubland.
Biomes it usually appears in: Grassland,Thin Grassland.
Description: This impressive stone mausoleum must have taken the work of hundreds of people over hundreds of days to build. Perhaps the last resting place of a forgotten monarch or even the tomb of a civilization, it contains untold treasures entrusted to eternity alongside the dead. And untold dangers as its passages and halls have been colonized by all manner of strange and vicious creatures.

Dungeon Name: Graveyard of Ships
Biomes it can appear in: Grassland, Thin Grassland, Forest, Dense Forest, Marsh, Scrubland, Thin Scrubland.
Biomes it usually appears in: Grassland, Thin Grassland, Scrubland, Thin Scrubland.
Description: When ships reached the end of their seaworthy lives, they were brought here to be broken up and scavenged for parts that could be reused. Thought to be stripped of everything that could be used again, who knows what hidden treasures could have been missed hidden in the broken hulks. The wreaks also make excellent dens for the creatures of the wild that have made them their homes.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 08:27:42 PM by Foxglove »
Standing for the responsible use of power since Year 1, Week 1, Day 1.
Fun fact: I wrote some of the text for the M&F crowdfunding campaign.
Favourite warm beverage: hot chocolate.

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 11:37:32 AM »
Right now, dungeons are created randomly. Theoretically you could have it just check to see if a river, lake, or ocean is within X distance of the point it picked for a dungeon. Or you could have it see if the region it is in contains the applicables. My understanding of the map the game uses from a coding perspective isn't good enough for the latter, though I think I could pull of the previous.

Regardless, thank you for the submissions.
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 05:56:00 AM »
Foxglove, all 3 of them have been added to my version of the game code, and will go into the next batch I submit to Tom for review. For now, they'll spawn anywhere, but it's the nature of the code right now (as changing the dungeon creation logic isn't what I call a small project, nor a high priority).

100 credits to anyone who reports finding a ship graveyard in a desert.*

*Offer may not be available in all areas or payable in the currency described. Other rewards may include pork buns, payable via freight through Hawks Hold. Sponsoring agency is not responsible for ensuring delivery and will not be held responsible for goods lost in shipment.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 08:57:16 AM »
Actually, changing the logic is not so hard. Everything is prepared in DungeonCreator.php in the RandomDungeonType() method.

You could start by actually implementing the biome logic. River, ocean, etc. are all available from a region. The GeoData has these fields available:

<field name="altitude" type="integer"/>
      <field name="hills" type="boolean"/>
      <field name="coast" type="boolean"/>
      <field name="lake" type="boolean"/>
      <field name="river" type="boolean"/>
      <field name="humidity" type="float"/>

So you could simply change DungeonCreator line 47 from
      $dungeon->setArea($this->RandomDungeonType($geodata->getBiome()->getName()));
to
      $dungeon->setArea($this->RandomDungeonType($geodata));

and you have all of it available. Then you just need to do checks like
if ($geodata->getRiver() == true) { ... }

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 09:07:35 AM »
My plan was to have dungeons and their attributes stored as an array much the same way the cards and monsters are (or the settlement buildings and features and such), so after dungeons have levels and difficulties dependent on type, rather than edit 5 or 6 places to add a new one, you just edit "LoadDungeonTypes.php" and the translation files.

But, yes, actual biome logic is the plan. My plan is for the game to pick a random point as it does now, but from there do a check to see if it's picking from a common or rare list of what can appear there (so some things appear in a biome, but CAN appear elsewhere on occasion), then do a dice roll to pick the particular type.

Along with this will come more logic on how long different dungeons can be and how long they must be, modifiers to wealth and monsters within, along with even minimum party sizes specific to certain dungeons.

This will mean that deliberately harder dungeons will be more rewarding if you can get people together to do them easily, while some dungeons will be super quick, while even others might just be a slime cave.

My main reasons for not just doing it though, are that 1) I'm not sure what all the options are for geodata or how to make it query on things like region type and 2) I'm learning this all as I go. I started this month asking Aelwyn and De-Legro to explain some basics of how PHP works so I know how to read things. I started with things I could figure out easily, and am slowly working my way towards more complex things.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 11:54:13 AM by Andrew »

Lann

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 09:27:39 PM »
How are the rewards for dungeons now?  Last I played, they were nothing great unless apparently you could get deep in them (which no one did because they couldn't maintain the interest).   My concern is that I think dungeons should not just be a little profitable, but profitable by a lot to encourage more desire to seek them out. 

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 03:46:46 PM »
So, here's the thing about rewards. They vary based on party size two different ways, and based on the levels reached.

The thing about them though, the only reason I'd be willing to increase the profit of them across the board is if we made it so if you get knocked out, you lose everything you gained.

My plans do include having dungeons vary based on type how much gold you can find. They'll also vary in difficulty and minimum party sizes, but the rewards will be setup so there is a good chance that the rare ones will reward more than the common ones. Of course, there's always that chance that that dungeon just isn't very interesting. There'll be a couple that will be 1) very rare and 2) very hard just based off the current dungeons I've got, and they'll also 3) have very good rewards.

I'm tempted to see if I can turn dungeon types completed into a stat that gets shown off. Because some of these will not be easy.

Also on the todo list is to see how hard it'd be to do Player versus Player combat with the dungeon cards, and make it a watchable event. Not for use in dungeons, but maybe as part of a tournament setup or a special event or something.