Author Topic: Expanding the Dungeons: Monsters Wanted  (Read 1017 times)

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
Expanding the Dungeons: Monsters Wanted
« on: June 03, 2016, 06:08:54 PM »
So I was looking through some of the code that drives Might & Fealty, mostly poking and prodding the Dungeons part of it, and I noticed something. There's not very many monster types. We should fix that!

So, if you have anything that sounds cool, by all means, lets hear about it! I need to know the following:

Singular name:
Plural name:

Human, Animal, Trained Animal, or Monster?
Melee, Ranged, or Both?
Is it poisonous?
On it's own? 1-2? A handful? A swarm? Or does it show up in random numbers?
Can it swim? Does it fly?

Description:

Alternatively, Roran made this nice little template you can use:
Code: [Select]
[b]Singular name:[/b]
[b]Plural name:[/b]

[b]Nature:[/b]
[b]Combat style:[/b]
[b]Poisonous?[/b]
[b]Group size:[/b]
[b]Mobility:[/b]

[b]Description:[/b]

There's more to this than that, but I'll fill in things based on the descriptions you provide, and balance them against everything else.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 07:38:29 AM by Andrew »
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

cred

• Sorry for the bad english
    • View Profile
Re: Expanding the Dungeons: Monsters Wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 08:40:41 PM »
Not the most original suggestions but here it goes:

Dungeoneer(s)

Human
Melee
Pack

Mortals who raid dungeons  for profit or other nefarious purposes. Having faced numerous dangers in their life, they are fearless, ruthless, highly disciplined and more well equipped than most elite soldiers, making them a formidable foe.

Monster Hunter(s)

Human
Ranged
Poisonous
Pack

Mortals who specialize in hunting dangerous beasts or monsters for profit or amusement. They usually sport  longbows and javelins as well as using a wide range of potent poisons. Often seen working along dungeoneers.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 12:05:23 AM by cred »

Dystopian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 07:27:16 PM »
Scaled Viper

Monster
Melee
Poisonous
Solo

A large iron scaled snake-like creature that lurks in the deeper depths of the Earth. Its fangs can easily pierce through chainmail and cheaper plate armors, and its venom can melt through plate within ten seconds.

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 10:30:22 AM »
Dungeoneers and Monster Hunters will go into my next update, with a slight name change of dungeoneers to mortal dungeoneers, so the game doesn't confuse them with regular dungeoneers in the translation files (the players).

Dystopian, Scaled Vipers I don't want to use because they're a real animal and if an animal exists I don't want to have the game describe it differently. If you can think up a different name, I'll throw it in. Dungeon Viper or something, would work.

I've also updated the first post with new fields and options, as I'm working on expanding the types and varieties, so I don't have to do so much work later when I start working out how to add a movement/combat grid to dungeons.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 10:40:36 AM by Andrew »
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Roran Hawkins

• "He whose thread shall not be flamed."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 02:54:25 PM »
Here's some random ideas. I can come up with at least ten more or something.

Singular name: Rogue First One
Plural name: Rogue First Ones

Nature: First One
Combat style: Melee
Poisonous? No
Group size: Solitary, rarely in pairs, usually accompagnied by a small troop of bandits or soldiers.
Mobility: On foot/On horseback

Description: This is the dark counterpart of the First Ones that dwell the surface. They mirror their surface-dwelling brethren in intelligence, skill, ability and combat prowess. Their equipment, stained and worn from their stay in this place is nevertheless of the same quality as your own. These are the fallen First Ones. Their reasons for living here are all unique. Cursed by the Gods, self-imposed eternal punishment, or simply a total aversion of law and society. All that remains is the eternal spirit that the Gods gave them dwelling in absolute madness.

Singular name: Troll
Plural name: Trolls

Nature: Monster
Poisonous? No
Group size: Solitary, rarely in small groups
Mobility: Lumbering giant-ish?

Description: Unnaturally large, lumbering monsters the size of large horses with steel-grey leathery skin and broad chests resembling the toughest of men. These brutish beasts have thick, short legs and long, muscular arms. Blessed with primitive intelligence they are capable of communicating basic signals and using simple tools such as clubs. Generally peaceful, trolls are very territorial monsters that will lash out with overpowering force at any threat trespassing its home. While impaired by poor eyesight they are faster than they appear and are capable of short bursts of incredible energy. No sort of armour will protect you from their strength.

Singular name: Veteran soldier
Plural name: Veteran soldiers

Nature: Human
Poisonous? No
Group size: Small groups to large groups, ranging from 3 to 12.
Mobility: On foot

Description: Well-armed human soldiers who have fought in the wars of the First Ones above. These men decided to desert and flee society for various reasons. They have kept their weapons, armour and experience and they are formidable opponents. Although a First One would have little trouble defeating them one on one, in groups they can easily overwhelm, having learned how to very well in the wars of the past.

Singular name: The Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Plural name: /

Nature: Rabbit/Monster/Beast
Poisonous? No
Group size: Completely solitary
Mobility: Incredibly fast

Description: The renowned Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog is a very small creature that moves about with impossible dexterity. An incredibly rare sight for a man to behold, it is in most cases also the last thing they ever see. Small, vicious fangs, supernatural speed and an unrivalled killing instinct make this little white rabbit into one of the rare few natural predators of the First Ones.

Code: [Select]
[b]Singular name:[/b]
[b]Plural name:[/b]

[b]Nature:[/b]
[b]Combat style:[/b]
[b]Poisonous?[/b]
[b]Group size:[/b]
[b]Mobility:[/b]

[b]Description:[/b]

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 02:58:00 PM by Roran Hawkins »
The story of Ascalon's forum threads.
Founder of Ascalon, professional whiner, minor storyteller.

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 03:58:32 AM »
First Ones are on the monster list already, and they are NOT easy to kill. If I ever get the monsters around to using their own cards, or their own separate deck of cards, they'll be tweaked to use those instead.

Trolls will/be be added, though I'll need to start rebalancing everything if people keep submitting monsters designed to slay the players.

Soldiers, be they infantry, archers, mounted or not, even captains and yes, veteran variants, are already in. Right now these are all individual monsters, but long term I'll probably rework the spawning code for sizes so that humanoids spawn with experience levels rather than sizes. Running into a very small and a large first one doesn't make much sense, after all. Probably something like "Novice Soldier" or "Veteran Archer" would make more sense.

No dice on your killer bunny though, given that it's from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. You want to make a reference to it with some satirical version of it, that could most likely be used.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 04:05:05 AM by Andrew »

Foxglove

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 02:17:43 PM »
Singular Name: Grimling
Plural Name: Grimlings
Combat Style: Melee
Poisonous: No.
Group Size: Random. Has the potential to appear in very large packs/swarms.
Mobility: On foot. Very fast.
Description: Small, slightly built, with light and pleasant voices, Grimlings are excellent at hunting by mimicking human children when seen at a distance or in dim light. Many unwary explorers have been lured in by what appears to be a child in distress, only to find when they get closer they are confronted by a creature with palid flesh, lank hair, fangs protruding from drooling jaws, and wickedly sharp talons. Relatively weak and easy to dispatch when encountered in small groups, they become much more dangerous when they form a large pack that can overwhelm with numbers.
Standing for the responsible use of power since Year 1, Week 1, Day 1.
Fun fact: I wrote some of the text for the M&F crowdfunding campaign.
Favourite warm beverage: hot chocolate.

Kaladin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 05:08:34 AM »
Singular name:[Beast Warrior] [/size]Plural name:[Beast Warriors] Nature:[Aggressive, Killing anything in their way] Combat style:[With little armor and a spear] Poisonous?[No] Group size:[10-15] Mobility:[On foot but Fast] Description:[These are semi-humans who for some dumb reason decided to live in tribes in dungeons. They are fast and excell at taking down large predators as a team and have quite the burly body because of the conditions they were born in.
. They are semi humans because they have evolved over the years and so had an increase of bodily hair as a type of camoflage and to keep the cold out. They also, have a more savage and feral war screech because their vocal chords have evolved to scare minor threats.]

Eh is this good?
[/color]

willy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 06:05:18 AM »
Can you do some epic boss-level types? A single dragon worth dozens of Firstone's combat ability? A necromancer's horde in the thousands? Something like...

Singular Name: Dragon (or unique names)
Plural Name: Gonna Have A Bad Time
Combat Style: Melee/Ranged
Poisonous: Yes
Group Size: 1
Mobility: Affixed to a pile of gold
Description: Essentially what a Firstone is to a peasant, a dragon is to a Firstone. Just with caves and more naps.

Singular Name: Zombie
Plural Name: Undead Horde (maybe [unique person x]'s horde)
Nature: Human
Combat Style: Melee
Poisonous: No
Group Size: Massive
Mobility: low
Description: A necromancer with too much time on his hands has raised half the area's dead. They turned on him and now they are spilling out of the cave where they were being horded.

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 01:28:13 PM »
If we go by what a First one is to a mortal then we would need probably like 50-100 First Ones to beat that dragon... I think a better thing would be if a dragon had maybe the strength of 10 or 20 First Ones, which could be leveled out with the skills you can use in dungeons.

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 01:37:50 PM »
So, Dragon's are already on the list. They'll exist shortly after the server move and be OP-as-hell. Presently, they have 2.5x the attack power of a first one, 1.5x the defense power, get 3 attacks per turn, and take 6 hits to put down. They're the single most difficult monster on the table.

The current table of monsters that will exist after the server move is here: https://github.com/Zanaras/MaFCDR/blob/master/src/BM2/DungeonBundle/DataFixtures/ORM/LoadDungeonMonsters.php

I plan on adding additional functionality for slimes. No dungeon game is complete without varieties of annoying slime monsters.

willy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 01:43:21 PM »
If 50 men equal a First One, and a Dragon equals 50 FO....an assault would need maybe 2500 troops. 125 each for 20 nobles. 2500 (dragon's combat strength) plus the nobles (1000 more men), epic battle ensues, and you've (probably) slain the dragon. Seems about what I had in mind. I just envisioned something one realm probably couldn't do alone. Give it a big cash prize or something. Unique items would be a good addition, since it would be a 'boss battle'. need moar swag

Odd thought: what if you could do a daimon-style invasion? Pop an undead horde somewhere, make it spread like brigands. Some way for new hordes to start generating in places they spread. Unite the realms to stop the menace!

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 02:17:00 PM »
I've thought about something similar, an invasion that is, but not for the main area of the game. A sub-continent somewhere, perhaps.

I might tweak dragons to make them harder, but first I need to see how hard they are.

Andre

• Constant boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 02:28:41 PM »
With the current dragon stats though I assume a dragon could kill another dragon in a single turn without the other dragon even having a chance... I feel like dragons should honestly be a bit stronger. Probably a lot more defence and only a bit more attack.

Andrew

• Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 02:33:09 PM »
With how dungeons are setup, monsters will only ever attack players. Hence why the stats aren't as high as you'd expect them to be. I wanted them to be hard, yes, but not ridiculous.