Author Topic: Code Plans  (Read 1125 times)

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
Code Plans
« on: May 31, 2016, 12:20:42 AM »
Starting this Friday, I have a window of about 1 week where I will have time to work a bit on M&F Code. My plan at the moment is to tackle the messaging system and try and implement some of the long standing wish list, like the option to remove message threading.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
Re: Code Plans
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 09:56:54 AM »
My suggestion would be to not bother with the old message system, but work on the tower communication code instead.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 12:21:59 AM »
My suggestion would be to not bother with the old message system, but work on the tower communication code instead.

I could, but for 1 I never liked the new concept, nor did I think it did anything to fix what appears to be the main complaint regarding communications, which is limitations that do nothing to promote sharing and communication. While conceptually "local" messages might make some sort of sense, practically it is simply limiting on a game that has a low player base, and often large tracks of very poor density player numbers.

There are some ideas from the Tower system that I would like to incorporate, like the persistent local messages, but I have little appetite for rolling out the entire thing.

Insanegame27

• I am the Bopmaster, master of Bops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 12:36:30 AM »
I agree with De-Lagro here. The tower system is too limiting. My main problem with the message system was that it was incomplete and it's UI competes with Dwarf Fortress in terms of friendliness.

The current system works, but there are large quirks which make it terrible. Realm chats become normal chats and stop automatically adding people after a while and you are unable to add people to any type of chat. The tower system would simply tie up precious manpower to build the towers and even then it's still extremely localised.
Now I have a mental image of horses lined up in a goods factory, building things on an assembly line.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 01:28:01 AM »
I could, but for 1 I never liked the new concept, nor did I think it did anything to fix what appears to be the main complaint regarding communications, which is limitations that do nothing to promote sharing and communication. While conceptually "local" messages might make some sort of sense, practically it is simply limiting on a game that has a low player base, and often large tracks of very poor density player numbers.

The primary advantage is that it is flexible. Want to reach a wider area because of low player base? Simply change one value (the tower range) and you do.

Honestly, take a good luck. I put a lot of effort into making a good system there.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 12:07:42 AM »
The primary advantage is that it is flexible. Want to reach a wider area because of low player base? Simply change one value (the tower range) and you do.

Honestly, take a good luck. I put a lot of effort into making a good system there.

I have had a look, and the system is good, simply I don't think appropriate for the game state as it is. If I need to tweak restrictive features to accommodate player numbers, to me that simply speaks of a restriction that should not exist. The main complaint regarding the message system has always been UI based, not mechanics. Coming up with an entirely new message mechanic while the UI continues to languish I don't think does anything to address player concerns. To my mind it is better to forge forward with the system that people are already familiar with and bring it up to its full potential.

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 02:17:16 PM »
Starting this Friday, I have a window of about 1 week where I will have time to work a bit on M&F Code. My plan at the moment is to tackle the messaging system and try and implement some of the long standing wish list, like the option to remove message threading.

Yay!
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)