Author Topic: Considering Leaving  (Read 3711 times)

Roran Hawkins

• "He whose thread shall not be flamed."
    • View Profile
Re: Considering Leaving
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2016, 02:00:00 PM »
I believe that to be a good experiment. Although, there are no guarantees that all the existing players will participate due to time restraints or mere lack of desire. A better option would be to see how many players use this extra slot and then adjust the number of regions.

My thoughts exactly. Something like Dwilight back on DM. Everyone gets a single character for this new map where map size is determined by the number of players. Having a rough 1 noble per region scale or even a little less than 1 noble per region pushes people to do interaction and thus activity, since it'd be very hard for a single player with just a single character to succesfully defend himself if he land-hoards against a group of multiple players. And losing would not necessarily mean game over since you can always flee to another realm and gather support there.
The story of Ascalon's forum threads.
Founder of Ascalon, professional whiner, minor storyteller.

Dorian

• Playing since 2015.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2016, 03:55:02 PM »
The scale is important. A Lord should definitely have knights, otherwise the game loses meaning, like it is now.  So the scale of regions and players should be designed such that it is important to be a Lord. However, the problems with game mechanics will then arise for a knight can do little things besides leading soldiers. I think that inns and other buildings should be explored in this regard.

It would also be interesting to draw a parallel between metal as it is now and knights. All Lords crave metal. If the developing team could come up with a way for Lords to appreciate knights in the same way they appreciate metal then I am sure the player count and retention would rise.

Weaver

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2016, 04:53:14 PM »
I do not think it's possible to preserve this game world and start another section meant for free characters, because there will definitely be more incentive to play on the bigger map, cause we already have things on it. Unless the experimental one can be separated from the main map?

I will start a new thread, detailing why it would be important to separate them.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2016, 07:03:48 AM »
I do not think it's possible to preserve this game world and start another section meant for free characters, because there will definitely be more incentive to play on the bigger map, cause we already have things on it. Unless the experimental one can be separated from the main map?

That is actually very easy. The experimental one would be an island and there would be deep (i.e. impassable) ocean between.

Weaver

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2016, 07:12:45 AM »
Yes, but I meant also in the context of changing up economy a bit.