Author Topic: Yay bandits  (Read 2883 times)

WVH

• The Lost
    • View Profile
Re: Yay bandits
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 11:53:46 PM »
Ahh gold could equal longevity for bandits.

The only way they could get if would be through looting.  Then they could use it to purchase entourage or warriors... just like we do at an Inn, they could do randomly.

The price of a warrior could be adjusted to help balance how many they can ever get.

They should not be able to accept gold from nobles or give gold to nobles.

IF the ability for a bandit to survive and grow is based on the gold they loot, it means that in small poor realms they will become weaker and in powerful rich realms they will grow stronger until they become a larger threat worth putting effort against.

Grayford

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 12:24:54 AM »
What if bandits started with a smaller amount of less desirable troops (light infantry, shortbow archers, etc.) and as they won more battles and looted more villages allow them to get (or simply spawn) better troops. Another suggestion would be to allow bandits to spend gold to buy better troops, not mercs but permanent troops from their own pools.  This would provide some incentive for people to face bandits before they become a bigger problem. And it can be explained IG by bandits showing their worthiness as a leader so more mortal flock to help them in their cause.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 07:28:57 AM »
Interesting idea. How to balance this so they don't become "the" dominant force in small realms (even small realms have some gold).

Arx

• Sunscreen will not protect you from despair.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 08:36:30 AM »
Change the type of soldiers they acquire (by miracle, by defection, whatever) to be dependent on the training facilities available nearby. Poorer realms would then only really have to worry about archers, light infantry, and occasionally medium or heavy infantry, but wealthy and established realms would have much greater threats, since a bandit could net longbowmen, heavy infantry, or even heavy cavalry if left unchecked.

Alternatively, have the bandit's troops be drawn directly from the militia in small numbers. That way a small realm with a small army wouldn't really run into problems with bandits with massive armies.

stueblahblah

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 03:39:26 PM »
Interesting idea. How to balance this so they don't become "the" dominant force in small realms (even small realms have some gold).

they are dominant power in small realm currently, but if they can exchange gold, take and receive it, they would have ability to play small game, and small realms will at least have some means to bribe them. Currently they have nothing but to annoy small guys who are depressed anyhow.

of course, they can sit somewhere and plunder for ages, but it gives time to small realm to find someone for help, if bribing itself does not help. all that could improve interaction imho, as currently neither side has anything to negotiate about.

bandit game is self-adjustable - because they cannot replenish troops their time is limited. but this way small games could be played.

WVH

• The Lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 05:20:15 PM »
they are dominant power in small realm currently, but if they can exchange gold, take and receive it, they would have ability to play small game, and small realms will at least have some means to bribe them. Currently they have nothing but to annoy small guys who are depressed anyhow.

What would they use the gold for in this situation?  It would not work with the idea of buying soldiers for bandits... someone would just give a bandit 5000 gold and watch them become a monster.

Permission for bandits to enter could be a way for a noble to 'allow' more gold.  Basically looking the other way while the bandit loots for x days.  Same could be done now by a noble removing militia and standing aside.

But being able to freely give gold could end up very bad unless there is another blocking idea somewhere.

stueblahblah

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 05:41:13 PM »
What would they use the gold for in this situation?  It would not work with the idea of buying soldiers for bandits... someone would just give a bandit 5000 gold and watch them become a monster.

how can bandit "become monster"? all he could do with gold is to transmit it to someone else, he cannot buy troops in inn. that means his role is limited to some local loots, and he can transmit his gold to some friendly noble before being extorted, which will inevitably come within reasonable time as he cannot replenish troops. he can also be bribed, but again, his game is very limited

moreover, some nobles would find appealing to chase bandits, knowing that they can get some of their gold by killing them. small prey, small game, but some motivation to people to play about that.

WVH

• The Lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 08:05:20 PM »
how can bandit "become monster"? all he could do with gold is to transmit it to someone else, he cannot buy troops in inn. that means his role is limited to some local loots, and he can transmit his gold to some friendly noble before being extorted, which will inevitably come within reasonable time as he cannot replenish troops. he can also be bribed, but again, his game is very limited

I was saying he could become a monster if gold was allowed to be transmitted to him AND IF the idea of buying soldiers was adopted also.

Arx

• Sunscreen will not protect you from despair.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 08:25:19 PM »
So I'm dredging this up because of a particularly silly-seeming incident:

Participants
Rondan II Balkopan            Hjalti
Initial Troops
    17 medium infantry                 
    73 light infantry
    35 archers
    1 noble
    16 medium infantry       
    13 heavy infantry
    8 archers
    2 heavy cavalry
    1 noble
Combat
Ranged Phase
    35 shots fired           
    19 hits
    4 enemies killed
    5 enemies wounded
    8 shots fired           
    5 hits
    3 enemies killed
Melee Phase 1
    123 soldiers fighting           
    6 enemies wounded
    3 enemies killed
    32 soldiers fighting
    11 enemies killed
    3 enemies wounded
Melee Phase 2
    109 soldiers fighting       
    7 enemies wounded
    25 soldiers fighting
    7 enemies wounded
    7 enemies killed
Melee Phase 3
    95 soldiers fighting         
    1 enemy killed
    7 enemies wounded
    18 soldiers fighting
    4 enemies wounded
    6 enemies killed
Melee Phase 4
    85 soldiers fighting
    5 enemies wounded
    2 enemies killed
    1 enemy routed
    11 soldiers fighting
    3 enemies wounded
    2 enemies killed
Melee Phase 5
    80 soldiers fighting
    2 enemies wounded
    1 enemy routed
    6 soldiers fighting
    5 enemies wounded
Melee Phase 6
    75 soldiers fighting
    1 enemy wounded
    1 enemy routed
    4 soldiers fighting
    2 enemies killed
Melee Phase 7
    73 soldiers fighting
    1 enemy routed
    3 soldiers fighting
    2 enemies killed
Melee Phase 8
    71 soldiers fighting
    1 enemy routed
    3 soldiers fighting
    2 enemies killed
    1 enemy wounded
Melee Phase 9
    68 soldiers fighting
    1 enemy routed
    3 soldiers fighting
    2 enemies killed
Melee Phase 10
    66 soldiers fighting
    1 enemy routed
    3 soldiers fighting
    1 enemy killed
    1 enemy wounded
Melee Phase 11
    64 soldiers fighting
    1 enemy routed
    3 soldiers fighting
    2 enemies killed
Melee Phase 12
    62 soldiers fighting
    1 enemy routed
    3 soldiers fighting
Melee Phase 13
    62 soldiers fighting
    1 enemy wounded
    1 enemy routed
    3 soldiers fighting
    1 enemy wounded
Melee Phase 14
    61 soldiers fighting         
    1 enemy routed
    2 soldiers fighting
    1 enemy killed
Melee Phase 15
    60 soldiers fighting
    1 enemy routed
    2 soldiers fighting
    1 enemy killed
    1 enemy wounded
Melee Phase 16
    58 soldiers fighting
    1 enemy routed
    2 soldiers fighting
Melee Phase 17
    58 soldiers fighting
    1 enemy routed
    2 soldiers fighting
    2 enemies killed
Melee Phase 18
    56 soldiers fighting
    1 enemy wounded
    1 enemy routed
    2 soldiers fighting
    1 enemy killed

That's two axe/plate/warhorse soldiers and a noble holding 74 enemies. If they'd had even maces, it would have been a massacre. And they were ~20 experience when it started (they're 50+ now, thanks to the zillion phases), so that could have been a lot uglier in quite a few ways.

Woot

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2016, 08:08:09 AM »
I had a similar experience with a bandit. 80 of my soldiers (Halberds, longbows, maces, scale and leather) fought 3 bandit heavy infantry for 8 rounds. Now I'm terrified of fighting anyone who might have a significant number of soldiers with maxed out equipment.

Lann

• The Lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2016, 03:48:50 PM »
I had a similar experience with a bandit. 80 of my soldiers (Halberds, longbows, maces, scale and leather) fought 3 bandit heavy infantry for 8 rounds. Now I'm terrified of fighting anyone who might have a significant number of soldiers with maxed out equipment.

Was that you I was fighting up north?  We were trash-talking at each other and I had my bandit RP as a believer in the Black Road.  God that battle went on forever.  Plate Mail ain't no joke.

Insanegame27

• I am the Bopmaster, master of Bops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2016, 09:47:02 AM »
So a slightly different take on the thread here, but I recently (read: Just now) came into possession of a bandit character who spawned in a very good position to act as a mercenary/whatnot for the local lords. This was my plan. However, the previous owner of this particular bandit had gotten very creative and set the appearance description to ((Hope this isnt seen as meta or anything)):

Her long braids protrude from her scalp as phallic idols. The point of her spear is excessively rounded, its format not the most efficient for fighting. Earrings, collars, even the stamps on her clothes, everything points to a certain obsession with male genitalia.

It is not the physical threat which makes her enemies cower, but the knowledge of the delight of her tortures should you ever fall into her hands.

*sigh* and here I was hoping to something other than usua bandit crush/kill/burn/pillage. It's going to be hard to talk to nobles with a description like that.
Now I have a mental image of horses lined up in a goods factory, building things on an assembly line.

Lann

• The Lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2016, 10:17:30 PM »
LMAO. 

Who the hell did that?   :D

Humbaz

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2016, 09:45:45 PM »
Question: If you kill a bandit do you get his gold?

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2016, 10:00:24 PM »
I do not believe so, but that is a good idea. Maybe it'll make people be more interested in killing them. I'll put it on my list.
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)