Author Topic: Yay bandits  (Read 2884 times)

Gustav Kuriga

• View Profile
Yay bandits
« on: January 18, 2016, 06:20:20 PM »
Don't you just love being in a new realm, with barely any troops, and bandits come and wreck the shit without you being able to do anything? I do.

I'd prefer combat to be between realms, not fucking bandits, please.

Daemon DeadKing

• View Profile
Re: Yay bandits
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 06:42:19 PM »
I could make the whole world barren with the amount of salt i produce. I hate bandits like ... very much .
"In the sight of One we rule all Through Iron and Blood" - Famous Asrian saying.

LGMAlpha

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 11:11:50 PM »
I don't really have anything good to say about bandits. I know some people have played them with some impact, but I haven't witnessed it. All I've seen is them being used as free troops in war, scouts, delayers, and because of their lack of sustainability, suicide attackers.

The solution isn't really obvious. I think bandits would be far more meaningful if they started with a small number of troops, and somehow accumulated more as their battle glory/gold increased.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 11:51:40 PM »
I don't really have anything good to say about bandits. I know some people have played them with some impact, but I haven't witnessed it. All I've seen is them being used as free troops in war, scouts, delayers, and because of their lack of sustainability, suicide attackers.

The solution isn't really obvious. I think bandits would be far more meaningful if they started with a small number of troops, and somehow accumulated more as their battle glory/gold increased.

As with many things Bandits need more time. And time is something Tom lacks.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

WVH

• The Lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 12:10:39 AM »
They are just fine.  Could be better sure but they are not that big of a problem.  If they are a problem, get off your ass and kill them.

The only times they have been a pain to me is if I leave myself undefended.  Really they just show where my weakness is and I work to improve it.  If you don't like them running around your estates, make sure you have someone there to stop them.  Its not that bad.  They burn down your shit, build it back.  Its not like you can really min/max this game to perfection, it is designed against that.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 12:32:40 AM »
They are just fine.  Could be better sure but they are not that big of a problem.  If they are a problem, get off your ass and kill them.

The only times they have been a pain to me is if I leave myself undefended.  Really they just show where my weakness is and I work to improve it.  If you don't like them running around your estates, make sure you have someone there to stop them.  Its not that bad.  They burn down your shit, build it back.  Its not like you can really min/max this game to perfection, it is designed against that.

You have established estates with good troops, Gustav in this case does not. Bandits are an extreme threat to the new realms that did not secure troops from elsewhere.

Arx

• Sunscreen will not protect you from despair.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 07:37:04 AM »

You have established estates with good troops, Gustav in this case does not. Bandits are an extreme threat to the new realms that did not secure troops from elsewhere.

Yeah, you can get pretty unlucky pretty easily. Asitet Anoth has managed to pull itself up by the bootstraps past that stage, but it was lucky.

I could make the whole world barren with the amount of salt i produce. I hate bandits like ... very much .

That'd be in the Kingdom of Asrania? You'll likely be struggling for quite a while. Establishing a kingdom on scrub, thin scrub and desert is not a task I envy you.

WVH

• The Lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 05:22:53 PM »

I get that.  So do something about it.  You know bandits are in the game and a threat, so design a way to beat them.  Realize there will be a % of lost effort and time.  If you can not take on bandits then you have over extended yourself.  Established estates or not, I still end up with bandits some times when I am off at war.  They cause damage then you repair it.  We are lucky we dont have weather.  It would just be one more thing that gets in our way of playing how we want.

Not trying to sound like a dick but there is always so much nit picky criticism about every feature.  We have to accept the bandits in the game just like we have to accept that a tree can fall across the road in real life.  it is a pain in the ass we need to deal with.  Dont have a chainsaw to cut the tree, you figure out another way.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 07:39:49 PM »
Bandits were designed for a purpose. Let's discuss if they serve that purpose or not. If not, what can be changed so they do. If that is not possible, I will take them out again.

Gustav Kuriga

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 08:04:29 PM »
I get that.  So do something about it.  You know bandits are in the game and a threat, so design a way to beat them.  Realize there will be a % of lost effort and time.  If you can not take on bandits then you have over extended yourself.  Established estates or not, I still end up with bandits some times when I am off at war.  They cause damage then you repair it.  We are lucky we dont have weather.  It would just be one more thing that gets in our way of playing how we want.

Not trying to sound like a dick but there is always so much nit picky criticism about every feature.  We have to accept the bandits in the game just like we have to accept that a tree can fall across the road in real life.  it is a pain in the ass we need to deal with.  Dont have a chainsaw to cut the tree, you figure out another way.

Yeah, I'm sooooo overextending myself when our realm has maybe 4-5 settlements. The issue is bandits have been upgunned so that they can make an impact on the larger realms, but that is really a backwards way of doing things. Bandits realistically would avoid the large realms because they have so many troops, and would attack the smaller realms. So they should be balanced towards the smaller realms. It's ridiculous as a small realm of 5-10 settlements to suddenly expect to be able to fight off bandits with over 100 men, many of them wearing top tier armor like plate or having warhorses.

So either balance them towards the lower end of the spectrum of realms, or don't have them at all. Bandits were never supposed to be a core feature, but it's grown to become that because of the sheer impact it has out of proportion of what it is supposed to be.

WVH

• The Lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 08:34:14 PM »
Ah ok.  I have a bandit right now that spawned with 50 something soldiers in a realm about that size.  Went right to a settlement that had a handful of defenders, attacked and looted.  No one came.  So I went to the next.  too many so I went to a third and attacked and looted.  Now I am moving him out of that realm because....it is boring.  I would love more interaction when playing a bandit.

but because the bandit was weak, no one seems to care.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 10:18:13 PM »
Ah ok.  I have a bandit right now that spawned with 50 something soldiers in a realm about that size.  Went right to a settlement that had a handful of defenders, attacked and looted.  No one came.  So I went to the next.  too many so I went to a third and attacked and looted.  Now I am moving him out of that realm because....it is boring.  I would love more interaction when playing a bandit.

but because the bandit was weak, no one seems to care.

No, he was.probably too strong for the realm even if they marshalled, then they have to chase you etc. Most small realms learn early on to ignore them and rebuild when they are gone.

stueblahblah

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 02:39:38 PM »
If bandits would be simply allowed to transmit their gold around, many stories could be made, many would have motivations to do something.

Right now, bandit game can only annoy one side or another.

If they attack weak ones, weaklings are depressed very much, but bandits have no much fun.

If they attacks strong realm, that can make good training for realm's warriors, but again bandits themselves have little incentive. When playing bandit I feel as if it is expected from me to annoy other players, which is not my desire at all.

Nothing to offer, nothing to receive - how to reach interaction? One mechanically simple measure, allow them to hand gold, and I am pretty sure bandit game can become even interesting!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 08:33:59 PM by stueblahblah »

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 09:17:46 PM »
What could bandits do with gold?

stueblahblah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 10:01:28 PM »
What could bandits do with gold?

Just transmit it to any noble. With all limitations they have anyhow, that would just provide some incentive for little help to either own family or some friendly characters, some reason for them to do something around. That would also allow any character to bribe bandit for his own small affair.

As bandits cannot replenish troops, any such game is limited in time, but could provide some motivation to all participants to act, interact.-