Author Topic: An Initiative: Describe Your Realm(s)  (Read 1176 times)

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
An Initiative: Describe Your Realm(s)
« on: January 11, 2016, 03:38:44 PM »
So, through the 22nd of January, I'm running a contest here to see who can best describe an existing realm to a new player/character. The goal would not be to lure players in, but would be to fairly represent yourself to those that might be interested.

Unlike my "I'm Bored" series, this one will lay some groundwork for what I kind of expect.

Things you're going to want to hit are at minimum, the theme, organization, politics, description, and brief history. You want someone to read this to know, after a minute or two, as correctly and briefly as possible what they'd be getting into by joining your realm. Is it Medieval European or Sengoku Jidai? Where is it located? What do you call that area? What continent is it on? Is the the King that rules, he with the biggest stick, or a council? Are their multiple layers of realms beneath it, or is it knights, lords, and the ruler? What realms are around? What do you think of them? Why? What has happened recently in your realm that a new arrival should know about?

And because I know you're all greedy, I will say there will be a significant portion of credits attached to those I think made the best and most accurate descriptions. The questions asked above are just an idea of what you should work from. Really, it's a question of what you think is relevant to new players or new characters of players that might be interested.

All realms welcome, from lowest barony to highest empire. No, you don't need to be in charge of the realm either. And, I'd greatly encourage you to share this topic's existence in game if you like, the more submissions, the better. I'll probably put a lot of this on the wiki. :)
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Jhon2221

• View Profile
Re: An Initiative: Describe Your Realm(s)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 04:56:37 PM »
Does the realm have to be sovereign?

Andrew

• Game Master / Lead Developer
  • Administrator
  • Mildly Amused
    • View Profile
    • Lemuria Community Fan Site
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 05:07:21 PM »
Does the realm have to be sovereign?

Not at all. It can be the lowest, newest barony of the largest empire. I want them all! :D
Standing for the creation of interesting things since Year 1, Week 5, Day 4.
Favorite cold beverage: Strawberry Shake
My hobbies: Fixing computers, video games, anime, manga, some other stuff, sleep (in no particular order)

Jhon2221

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 05:19:21 PM »
Okay, i'll put my piece in. Not the best writer, but i'll give it a go.

Duchy of Kyde Estates:
Kyde Estates, founded 5-60-2 under Erstes Imperium during the reign of Luca Sartori. The first Duke, Adrian of house Park was a kind and honorable man, always good to his vassals and friends alike. Upon his death at the hands of Herald of The Storm during the Imperial Civil his son Theon Park took up rulership of the duchy, which he rules today. The land of Kyde is largely made up of thin grasslands, scrubland and metal producing estates to the north east. Kyde Estates rest on the farthest north east corner of the Imperium of Aelywn, formally known as Erstes Imperium. To the south lies their long time ally Fairwind who the Parks share a close friendship with. And to the east rests Eldamar, once their enemy they have become friends and allies fighting against the tyranny of the Weaver of Broken Threads. Kyde has a reputation of being a safe haven for slumberlight lords, who are defended with force of arms if the situation arises. They have always striven to avoid conflict and try to resort to reason rather than the sword. The nobles of Kyde Estates are extremely loyal to their friends and allies and are steadfast in following their lord unless under extreme circumstances.

The soldiers of Kyde are skilled in the use of spear and halberd, although the higher ranking mortals have been seen carrying sword and shield with chain mail.

I would love to hear some opinions on this, this is the first time I have ever actually fleshed out my Duchy like this. And I might edit this a bit later.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 09:19:42 PM by Jhon2221 »

Weaver

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 08:19:43 PM »
Hey, Jhon, you did great. IMO, it's sufficient to stand among the contenders, but you can easily expand more by including something about the culture of Kyde Estates, and their way of life. No reason not to brag either how loyal you guys all were when things were all fine. I think that kinda thing sits well with new players too.

Anyway, I didn't want to enter previous contests, but I do want to pitch in for this one. I will be describing the Imperium of Aelwyn though I will be deviating a bit from the guidelines, since it's really hard to describe the Imperium and why it's great, in my opinion, with simple facts.

Imagine a warrior poet, standing alone against the tides of darkness; His life no more meaningful than the rising of the sun, and no less. Yet he knows no fear, for he knows that the dawn of a new age waits just beyond, he merely has to endure a little bit more. He is clad in a raiment of silk, billowing red with golden embroidery, hoisting the standard of Righteousness and Zeal upon the hill where he lonely stands. His brethren are gone, but he is not afraid. He is impatient! He wishes the hordes of darkness would hurry up and arrive at the reaping fields already. This is how the heroes of the Imperium rise and fall. That is the spirit of the Realm and it's culture. Whether he is a masked warrior from the House of Order, who traded his name for a title and the glory that it brings, or the Knight of a Duke who vanguards courageously for the Legions of the Imperium. They are, like this, forever immortal- their heroic spirit burns in every tale. That is the Imperium of Aelwyn.

In the Corelands of the main continent, between Tetsuyama, Beal's Song, Ascalon and Eldamar, is where it exists. A Realm that enjoyed peace so thankfully, since the ascension of the new Imperator, and then fought war so bitterly against the very same Savior turned Tyrant. The Imperium styles itself as something between the Western Empires of Napoleon and Otto I, HRE, to the Japanese Shogunates of Nobunaga and Tokugawa. But the theme is closest to the fantasy Kingdom of Arthur Pendragon, or the Imperium of Man from Warhammer.

The Imperator occupies the highest seat in the hierarchy of the Imperium, of course, but the next in line are the Dukes of the Imperium and the Great Lords of the Imperium. Extreme value is placed on Righteousness and Loyalty, the very same thing that now drives the Dukes to rebel against the Imperator, and his House of Order- a collection of masked warriors who possess thousands of years of martial expertise, but not the manpower to push the advantage forward. Though it followed something between the Aelwyn tradition and the previous culture the Dukes enjoyed, it is now in it's most malleable form where everyone shares equal opportunity due to the Civil War. The chain of command is broken, and the highest authority the rebels share is their Liege. But it is this loyalty and righteousness that prevents them from abandoning the Imperium or creating a new Realm. They seek the balance of purity and righteousness, instead of the easy way out. They would lay down their life to bring the Imperium back to it's promised glory.

The only thing that stands between them and their dream, is the House of Order and their allies in the surrounding Realms who may be the most righteous avatars of justice, but are demonized due to their allegiance to the Imperator.

Now imagine this: The warrior poet is about to be struck down when the eastern sky illuminates and the first rays of the sun lay their warming glow upon the field. Someone helps the warrior stand up after he gets entangled with one of his opponents and falls, and as he looks up, he sees another battle standard of the Imperium stand next to his, and a dozen winged and spiked helmets are turned towards him. "Stand brother." They say. "We are not finished here." The golden eagles of the Imperium emblazoned on their cloaks burn brilliantly in the morning sunlight. Somewhere further in the field, a masked crusader from the House of Order leads the newly-arrived reinforcements and he breaks the darkness upon his sword, and brings the Light to the tortured lands. That is the eternal fate of the Imperium and it's heroes, war, duty and the never-ending sacrifice for peace.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 08:46:27 PM by Weaver »

Ratharing

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 11:15:21 PM »
Lowlands:

In the not-overly-civilized north (north-east with the opening of the north-west) lie several tribes of fiercely independent warriors. As an off-shot of the more centralized Rathgar, their position is more frontier-like, as satellites of the older clans.

This confederation of clans keeps very few formal ties, and the common factor that unites them is precisely the desire of independence and self-rule of each clan. But no real obligations exist beyond what the individual ties of friendship dictates.
It was born as a mutual protection pact to break away from the two Emperors of Rathgar, one of which demanded food tribute from several clans. By standing together, several small clans could present a more firm defense from the few large clans.

The theme is more Celtic-oriented or early-Germanic (or the free folk of Games of Thrones), with the land divided in freeholds/allods instead of in fiefdoms. You can also consider it early medieval.
This means that everyone is a freeman, having no formal obligations to any kind of lieges. A warrior may or may not join the war of its chieftain and a landholder may shift its allegiance to another clan or start his own. The chieftain that lost a warrior or a landholder may retaliate, but people seeking autonomy is well regarded in the Confederation, so he would be very badly seen if he tried to impose submission on a warrior. That makes rule by charisma so much more important.

In the same way that every warrior is free, every clan leader is sovereign. Someone may ask for the Confederation as a whole to do this or that, but it is ultimately up to each warrior and chieftain to do it or not, no binding legal formalities existing.

In short, you join either with a knight or a lordship offer. If the former, you get soldiers and are free to do whatever you want with them (join another clan, seek to conquer some land and form your own, participate in an ongoing conflict, do mercenary work, or whatever you imagine); if the latter, you get a piece of land of your own and do whatever you wish with it. Freedom is highly valued, so as long as you don't bend the knee you will be generally respected by your neighbors. Should you decide to kneel to a king or something you will likely lose the respect of your former peers, but it is not an instant declaration of war.

Due to its frontier nature, the Lowlands have several borders and even different regional configurations. I will try to describe each.

Western Lowlands: Tor Graves, Tor Kortaur and Tor Dun.
Young but stable clans located in a comparatively less developed region, bordering equally young realms such as the Children of Armok, Idraei, the Ascalonian colonies of Midgard and Falconreach, Asitet Anoth and two formely Lowlander clans that decided to go their own separate ways: The Totarian Kingdom and The Kingdom of Asrania.
The situation seems to be of shifting borders and localized conflicts from time to time, as it befits a wilder area.

Central Lowlands: Tor Fullakin, Tor Volgund, Tor Mot, Tor Magrinum, Tor Jarn Vǫllr and Tor Subir.
Older and more established clans with better infrastructure and established defenses and walls, they form the core of the realm, being sources of new nobles and warriors.
They border equally established realms such as Ascalon, The Stoned Lands and Ridirí an Choróin.
The borders are more established, but the large clans use their surplus of soldiers to aid smaller clans establish themselves or to perform mercenary work.

Eastern Lowlands: Dubh Dún in Oirthear, Tor Sphaera, Tor Arcturo, Tor Mosswood, Fyrisvellir, Tor Aike, Tor Vorsaal, Bloodreavers, Tìrean na Mara and Tor Whitehall.
Several small and young realms taming slumberblighted lands and establishing themselves.
Borders Eldamar and Skloddings to the south (with whom there is very little interaction) and clans of Rathgar to the north, such as House Pike, Tartarus and Ridirí an Choróin (these last are everywhere).
Military conflicts are happening in this area, due to Lowlander clans colonizing slumberblighted settlements of Rathgar, and those striking back to retake them. The region as a whole is much less stable than the others, and clans are being formed, destroyed and reformed. A lot of potential, but not without risk.

And... I guess that's it. That was quite a wall of text.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 11:20:27 PM by Ratharing »

Foxglove

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 02:10:33 AM »
Ok, here's a description of Mercia.

One of the oldest realms, currently situated in the Fading Isles, and founded by the landing of a semi-nomadic people called the Mercians on the farthest westerly land mass in the world. The realm of Mercia is named after a semi-mythical female First One named Mercia and has a well developed mythology primarily based on ancestor worship, but also including a huge pantheon of gods that is intentionally left vague enough to allow people to create their own minor gods to add into the pantheon.

Mercia is one of the original sub-realms of the Fading Isles realm, later becoming one of the three founding realms of the Republic of the Grand Fate following the Great Rebellion against the High King. It remains one of the core realms of the Grand Fate and is strongly committed to the ideals of the Republic and a staunch ally to is fellow Republican realms.

Mercia's realm theme is a combination of Celtic, Saxon, and general British Isles culture of the very early medieval period. The basic political unit is the family, called a House. Every family in Mercia starts as a Minor House and has the potential to work its way up to become a Great House. Advancement of Houses is based purely on contributions to the realm, meaning any family has the potential to become a Great House based on its own actions. Healthy, but respectful, rivalry for bragging rights between Houses is strongly encouraged. It is encouraged for any civil warfare between Houses to be kept to skirmishing or limited conflict over a settlement or two. It is considered to be dishonourable to seek to totally destroy another Mercian House unless great offence has been given.

When a Great House reaches a high level of prestige, it can petition the Duke for formal recognition of its lands (including those of its vassal Minor Houses) as a sub-realm. Mercia currently has three sub-realms: Great House Peladon; House of Gwydion; and Wild Wood. One more sub-realm is planned for the moment.

The Duke (rulership position) is relatively strong, but not overwhelmingly powerful. Imagine a late Dark Ages/early Medieval Great Hall system of politics where all the nobles sit around a big hall and can take to the floor to have their say. The Mercian lands also have two of the elected seats to the Assembly of the Grand Fate (its ruling council) and also has lands that touch two of the other electoral areas for seats in the Assembly. Which means that there are excellent opportunities for First Ones in Mercia to become part of the ruling council of one of the largest realms in the world.
Standing for the responsible use of power since Year 1, Week 1, Day 1.
Fun fact: I wrote some of the text for the M&F crowdfunding campaign.
Favourite warm beverage: hot chocolate.

Arx

• Sunscreen will not protect you from despair.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 09:00:54 PM »
The Principality of the Asitet Anoth (a-SI-TET a-NOTH, literally, the Spearbreakers [of] God) are a newly independent realm on the border of the newly opened West, roughly where the Western part of the continent branches off.

Culturally, the Spearbreakers are generally somewhat martial and usually somewhat religious. In many ways, they're a toned-down version of the Children of Armok, who are generally much more given to violence, slavery, drinking and feasting. So far, border conflicts haven't escalated past veiled threats but they would not be afraid to take it to violence.

The realm is vaguely themed after an amalgam of concepts from the fortress management game Dwarf Fortress, like the Children of Armok. For instance, the language used in various official places is the human language used in DF, and many of their estates are named for either notable 'succession forts' or otherwise well-known fortresses within the community. There is also a fairly complete code of law that I'm still torn on publicising, based on the rather comprehensive ethical system laid out in the game's files for dwarves.

However, due to their newness they are still open to cultural influences, so for a new (or otherwise!) player hoping to make something of a mark, this may be a good realm. They are steadily expanding, although periodically struck with the inactivity of a useful noble.

Realm politics are simple. The Prince or Princess has roughly absolute power, but usually listens to others' opinions. Nobles with large holdings or many vassals may be appointed ruler of a 'Fel', or Hold, to ease tracking. Players are expected to employ a fair amount of autonomy - barring very new players, who are often given a set of tasks comparable to those in a standard computer game tutorial* - regarding their orders.

Due again to the relatively recent nature of the realm, there are few subrealms, and it is largely managed directly by the Princess, Peran Thelassan. I play her fairly actively and highly tolerantly of OOC questions, since the game isn't the easiest to get into.

The realm was originally formed as a band of nobles under Peran's banner, claiming as much of the new West as possible, with the intent of banding together with the Children. After more trials and tribulations than expected, including Ascalon and the Lowlands pushing out, bandit attacks, and difficulty joining the Children, the Spearbreakers finally joined them and some time later became the county of Lokumokab, which is the Dwarven for Spearbreaker.

They contributed a small force to the short but violent war between Tartarus and the Children, and claimed two settlements in the North as a result.

Some time later, as a result of various pressures including separation, wishing to present a smaller target, and cultural differences, the Spearbreakers broke away as their own realm.

Diplomatically, the Spearbreakers are extremely closely allied with the Children of Armok. Relations with the Totarian Kingdom to the East are a little chilly after an apparently rogue agent took a border estate, but otherwise they are on good terms with all their neighbours.

They are still forming up, but the estates are beginning to take full shape and the realm is currently stable.

Overall, I'd say Asitet Anoth is a good realm for a new player wishing to leave a mark, and get a bit of coaching. It's not necessarily the best for activity, though, as much of what's currently happening is passive construction and improvement, so I wouldn't put in more than one character.

*I'll usually run a new player through managing the militia, recruiting soldiers. travelling (of course), taking control of a settlement, building and some economy basics, and depending on circumstances possibly combat.

I'll probably put something up for the Black Road, too.

Roran Hawkins

• The Lost
  • "He whose thread shall not be flamed."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 11:29:11 PM »
The Kingdom of Ascalon is a realm that you would most easily idenfity with the Medieval Kingdom of England. A relatively centralised feudal kingdom with a strong king who is nevertheless limited in his rule by the word of law. The king rules as a sovereign ruler with a noble council of the most prominent nobles below him who may protest and stop him from policies they do not agree with. The king requires their approval for new taxes, and for important agreements with foreign realms.

Culturally Ascalon originated as a blending pot of islander, Rathgari and Erstan cultures. Over time however, repeated warfare, shared misery and hardships throughout the Godswars have led to the creation of a cultural feeling of unity. The current kingdom is culturally diverse, but is united in the goal to maintain its independance from old enemies or dangerous and strong neighbours.

Economically Ascalon is a kingdom that relies on agriculture and trade. The land lends itself well to concentrated agriculture in the many fertile valleys, while endless forested hills form the wilds. Royal forests are maintained for production of quality wood for export, longbow fletching and crafting lances. There are not many mines in Ascalon, however, and the quality of their iron is not the best. Despite its long coasts Ascalon is not a realm that relies heavily on naval trade. Instead it the Bakavis River that is the main instrument of trade in Ascalon. The metalworking industry in the guilds of Arescod has flourished through consistent import of quality metals, and Ascalon is renowned for its quality armours. Although the forests do not lend themselves to a developped tradition of knighthood, the valleys around the capital are known to produce the finest destriers in the kingdom and beyond. These same hills also provide the court with many wines, of varying quality.

Socially, Ascalon is as many of the realms after the Cataclysm. Most, if not all first ones are recognised as nobility by birth, or eligible to the station in the very least. Only they make up the ranks of the lords and ladies of the realm. The second ones rank from respected advisors and merchants serving the first ones to poor bumpkin farmers. Most of the populance are freemen by social standing, althoguh perhaps not in economic reality. As such many of them benefit from royal decrees to serve as rural militias trained with the longbow, the peasant's weapon of Ascalon. In the few regional towns and the capital city, a new social class of burghers is rising, who organise their life in guilds. Orchestrated by their first one overlords, they have the freedom to express all of their creativity and productivity here. Serfom exists in Ascalon, but it is limited. Serfs are peasants bound to the land as a part of the land, and thus legally change ownership when the land itself does. There are little legal implications to this, for the first ones generally do not care, and the second ones maintain their own strict social hierarchy without the need of supervision.
The story of Ascalon's forum threads.
Founder of Ascalon, professional whiner, minor storyteller.