Author Topic: Character groups - Primary - Secondary - more?  (Read 1992 times)

Stonedman

• View Profile
Character groups - Primary - Secondary - more?
« on: January 05, 2016, 12:30:38 PM »
Heya,

Currently we can select character groups as primary and secondary.
Would it be relatively easy to enable additional groupings? This would just make it easier to manage characters into groups in different realms, groups marching in battle, etc etc while having no affect on the game balance itself.
Just another player-friendly tweak :)

Stoned

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
Re: Character groups - Primary - Secondary - more?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 12:35:41 PM »
Trivial enough that you can do it yourself with a bit of JavaScript knowledge and firefox/chrome user scripts. This has been discussed before, along with the concept of being able to set your own labels for the groups.

The other simpler method is to name characters according to their realm. The character list is alphabetical, so you it is easy to name all the characters in one realm with the same starting letter. With 26 letter combinations you can split them according to role within realms as well. One guy I saw simply used made up prefixes for everything Gy'Mun, Gy'Duan etc for his lords, Kith'Seran etc for knights.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 12:38:54 PM by De-Legro »
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 04:32:50 PM »
I have 0 Jave/programming knowlege hehe

I have split my characters by name etc yeah, but then within those groupings it becomes harder when fighting wars on multiple fronts, as those names then do not really correspond to the areas, and i don't want to be constantly re-naming based on whether they are on campaign in  the north/south/etc or sitting in their halls drinking beer :)

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 11:32:53 PM »
It is not very easy to make it customizable, but I've prepared a better system for the next update, with more options.
I can also extend these options, so if you have other ideas, post them after you've seen the new system (probably tomorrow).

Ratharing

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 11:51:59 PM »
With a few HTML/CSS tweaking you can simply add more possibilities, for example, instead of the binary primary/secondary.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 01:10:13 AM »
With a few HTML/CSS tweaking you can simply add more possibilities, for example, instead of the binary primary/secondary.

No, it requires a way to store the groupings, thus for a server side solution it requires DB changes.

It is not very easy to make it customizable, but I've prepared a better system for the next update, with more options.
I can also extend these options, so if you have other ideas, post them after you've seen the new system (probably tomorrow).

For my personal client side solution I just made a "group" table that consists of account ID, group ID and Label. I have a second table that lists character ID and Group ID. A simple query on the account ID groups all the characters and retrieves each groups name.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 10:17:05 AM »
Let me know what you think of the choices now live.

Weaver

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 04:36:10 PM »
I think it's amazing. Is it possible to do the same for soldiers? It would make things a lot smoother.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 05:21:37 PM »
What you mean for soldiers?

Weaver

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 05:38:06 PM »
As in making groups for soldiers that are not a, b, c, d, e

Not even custom ones are required, but I would very much like that. There is a button to already diversify them by type- but grouping them up into sections would also be good. Like 'Assault Squad', 'Defense Squad', or 'Squad 1' or something like that.

Basically anything that lets you take a mix of troops, and be able to assign them to others, or set as militia, without hunting them down in the list.

Personally, ultimately I'd like to see custom groups that have their own event list, aggregated from the soldiers inside it, dead and alive, with a few more data points to observe. Losses taken in battle, kills, wounds, equipment loss, etc.

But for now, like what you did with character grouping, it would be nice if we could get, or replace some of the letter groups, with more meaningful ones.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 07:09:42 PM »
I plan to have actual soldier groups, with a commander, that will act as a unit. But it is in the far future.

Arx

• Sunscreen will not protect you from despair.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 08:19:21 PM »
Can we get bandits moved up to before the list of deceased characters as well? Seems like it should be a similar piece of code, and it's been a wanted feature for a while.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 10:58:34 PM »
It's not as easy as it might seem at first glance, but I will think about something.

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 09:33:23 PM »
I like the extended groups thus far, i think the variety allowed will be good for many people.

for now, could you add a few groups for eg
army 1
army 2
army 3

in the same way as you coded the other groups?