Author Topic: Surrender Bug  (Read 1505 times)

Weaver

Surrender Bug
« on: January 06, 2016, 06:53:15 AM »
There is a way for an attacker to end a battle that he started, which should be impossible.

8-22-6 Set free from imprisonment.
8-22-6 Has surrendered to XXXX and become a prisoner.

Tom, please get that fixed.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 02:32:56 AM by Weaver »

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
Re: Surrender Bug
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 08:55:12 AM »
Indeed, I had just thought of that exploit myself. Travel in twos and you can almost always evade, attacker defender doesn't matter.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 10:06:35 AM »
That one is really tricky. I would like you can surrender when locked in battle, but you can be locked into more than one battle and surrender to your friend. Nice catch.

For the moment, I disable surrender while in battle. Logic being that your enemy might not want your surrender, he may insist on fighting. I would like to have a logic that says "I accept your surrender, let's not fight", but that requires a 2-person interaction and is much more tricky to code.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 10:12:48 AM »
That one is really tricky. I would like you can surrender when locked in battle, but you can be locked into more than one battle and surrender to your friend. Nice catch.

For the moment, I disable surrender while in battle. Logic being that your enemy might not want your surrender, he may insist on fighting. I would like to have a logic that says "I accept your surrender, let's not fight", but that requires a 2-person interaction and is much more tricky to code.

Yes I thought about only being able to surrender to someone on the other side of a battle, but that too is.exploitable.

Weaver

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 04:34:43 PM »
I say, lock out the option to execute/free prisoners, as well as escape from captivity for 24 hours when surrendering. That way, captors can even RP with their prisoners without fear that they are purposefully being silent while attempting an escape. I can't count how many Nobles I killed just because of this reason.

On the plus side, that makes this exploit obsolete. Mostly.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 04:46:55 PM by Weaver »

Ratharing

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 07:50:54 PM »
I say, lock out the option to execute/free prisoners, as well as escape from captivity for 24 hours when surrendering. That way, captors can even RP with their prisoners without fear that they are purposefully being silent while attempting an escape. I can't count how many Nobles I killed just because of this reason.

On the plus side, that makes this exploit obsolete. Mostly.

Good suggestion. Most of the usefulness of surrendering comes when you are locked in a battle that may kill you, not otherwise.

Also only allow surrendering to foes you are fighting against, if you are locked in any battles.

Arx

• Sunscreen will not protect you from despair.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 08:18:13 PM »
Also only allow surrendering to foes you are fighting against, if you are locked in any battles.

If you unlock surrendering in battle at all, then it can still be exploited if, say, Alekhsander Aurea is about to be swarmed and Sarden 'attacks' him so he can 'surrender' and avoid battle. I/Sarden could then release him immediately.

Ratharing

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 08:25:50 PM »
If you unlock surrendering in battle at all, then it can still be exploited if, say, Alekhsander Aurea is about to be swarmed and Sarden 'attacks' him so he can 'surrender' and avoid battle. I/Sarden could then release him immediately.

Not if Weaver's suggestion is implemented. You'd have 24 hours (4 IG days) during which you would not be able to release him and instead face the armies he was facing, on your own.

You'd also have to lock the soldiers so they didn't get transferred as well, though.

LGMAlpha

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 01:51:59 AM »

It should also be noted as something to be fixed this can be used to avoid the regroup timer.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 04:48:21 AM by LGMAlpha »

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 02:36:15 AM »
90% of the exploit use is removed if you can't surrender to characters on your own account.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 07:47:32 AM »
People will just make a secondary account and use that.