Author Topic: Lowlands Confederation  (Read 7890 times)

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
Re: Lowlands Confederation
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2016, 11:31:52 AM »
I'm not surprised. You joined melee with about equal forces, against very strong defenses. Basically, try to scale the walls without a massive superior force and slaughter is exactly what you would expect.

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2016, 11:48:03 AM »
yeah i'm not surprised i lost, once i saw the defences i expected it. what i was surprised at was the 90% casualties lol. never seen that before.

Arx

• Sunscreen will not protect you from despair.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2016, 12:31:21 PM »
I'm not surprised. You joined melee with about equal forces, against very strong defenses. Basically, try to scale the walls without a massive superior force and slaughter is exactly what you would expect.

Speaking of, when can we expect siege weapons? It's been pretty effectively demonstrated that cracking a stronghold (and there are stronger ones) is very, very difficult.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2016, 01:50:19 PM »
No ETA on siege weapons. I'm already spending too much time on the game, sorry.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2016, 02:03:48 PM »
Speaking of, when can we expect siege weapons? It's been pretty effectively demonstrated that cracking a stronghold (and there are stronger ones) is very, very difficult.
Right now you need to use less orthodox methods.
He who was once known as Blackfyre

feyeleanor

• View Profile
    • Clan Dubhaine
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2016, 02:06:22 PM »
I must admit going into the battle I wasn't at all confident we'd hold the walls, let alone slaughter so many of the attackers. After this people are going to take much more care of their castles...

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2016, 02:12:37 PM »
I must admit going into the battle I wasn't at all confident we'd hold the walls, let alone slaughter so many of the attackers. After this people are going to take much more care of their castles...

Why? We have had battles larger then this against walls and castles, and few paid attention to the results. Just the battles posted by Elysium against mere stone walls should have given everyone enough info to know how effective castles are. Those that pay attention to such things already know.

feyeleanor

• View Profile
    • Clan Dubhaine
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2016, 02:46:32 AM »
Not the battle results, the actual possession of castles.

If House Pike had made Dubh D˙n (formerly ěstenger) the centre of their attempt to bring blighted settlements back into use they'd have been operating from a strong fortified position.

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2016, 06:16:32 AM »
Not the battle results, the actual possession of castles.

If House Pike had made Dubh D˙n (formerly ěstenger) the centre of their attempt to bring blighted settlements back into use they'd have been operating from a strong fortified position.

They are part of Rathgar, such considerations are rarely relevant to them.

WVH

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2016, 05:47:45 PM »

There was no time.  A day or two after Pike blighted, I started trying to find his vassals and get them to talk to me.  They took a couple more days to reply and then we began collecting settlements, working toward Ostenger.  By the time we had taken a couple, Dubh Dun had moved in.

The same thing happened in Tor Sakken.  It blighted, Rich Van Valen became ruler and began heading that direction from a raid.  By the time he got there, most of the settlements held by the blighted lord were already taken.

Not that it is a bad thing, just saying that it happens really quickly and if we put blame on the blighted lords vassals for being too slow to get there then we are ignoring the in game travel, take overs, wars, and everything else that ties up a characters time.

This really is about someone moving in on settlements after the king died, and the "rightful" owners coming back to find homesteaders in their castle.  Of course rightful owners is a term used from their perspective, the homesteaders would believe they have rights to it because it seemed abandoned.

but it takes time to get there.  In this case it seems to be leading to a really really big war.  I hope not because those suck really bad right now.  Small wars are much more fun.

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2016, 08:26:24 PM »
indeed, outside realms move in on blighted nobles lands before the vassals left behind have time to react.
Then the outsiders wonder why there is a military response to their "invasion" :)
(yes it is an invasion, no other way to see it from an in game perspective, even if I am in general in favour of estates being in the hands of active players rather than inactive ones)

Ratharing

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2016, 11:30:41 PM »
If the vassals that got warned about the nobles going slumberblighted (when they leave the offices and whatnot) didn't get time to reclaim the settlements, how did the outsiders that didn't get those warnings get the time?

I don't think anyone is surprised at House Pike warring to defend land they don't have the nobles to hold. The surprise seems to be more about the other realms aiding such a weak clan with all the supposed strength culture of Rathgar. But I understand that question is answered by the new changes that are being made on the Rathgarian culture, more in line with traditional realms, more centralized.

Stonedman

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2016, 12:11:23 AM »
we have to protect our borders from the locusts around us, so yeah, any invasion of the smaller clans from outside Rathgar will end up having to face the larger clans too :)

De-Legro

• M&F Dev Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2016, 02:28:12 AM »
we have to protect our borders from the locusts around us, so yeah, any invasion of the smaller clans from outside Rathgar will end up having to face the larger clans too :)

Have to is strong language. Desire to would be closer to the truth. The strength of Rathgar has never been its size, most experienced players long knew most the clans were inactive or just plain useless. Stonedlands, Valinor and Northspear as  militaries were its  strength, Valinor and Stonedlands remain so. Unless you have good players to take up this land you are now going to defend, all your are doing is stretching your resources in a way that other powerful realms can exploit.

Arx

• Sunscreen will not protect you from despair.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2016, 06:29:20 AM »
If the vassals that got warned about the nobles going slumberblighted (when they leave the offices and whatnot) didn't get time to reclaim the settlements, how did the outsiders that didn't get those warnings get the time?

I check the Tavern pretty much daily, at least twice a week. I avoid taking slumbered settlements until quite a while has passed out of courtesy, but I'm pretty sure that if I didn't I could easily yoink them out from under their realm before they could respond. It's a matter of travel time and whether or not you're busy with other things.