Author Topic: Military Aid - Request  (Read 1178 times)

WVH

• View Profile
Military Aid - Request
« on: December 01, 2015, 07:10:26 PM »
Would it be easy to allow military aid to be set with lists?  I know this can get strange when there is civil war but hey, that is the combatants problem to set the aid properly for their situation.

Also I think it should be something that can be done even while in battle.  The idea of military aid is to make sure we do not have to stay up all night monitoring things.  So if someone comes in an attacks my friend, I should be able to set my military aid to help him out once my battle is done.  Right now I would have to stay up until my battle is done before I can set it, and if I am engaged again it stops me from being able to set it.

One last item on military aid.  When you set military aid for multiple people, they all show up in the 'action que' as "military aid" it takes three clicks to figure out who you are aiding.  If I want to remove someone from that, I have to open them each up until I find which one to cancel.

Thanks,

Ehndras

• Urist Tarzath, Emperor of the Children of Armok
    • View Profile
Re: Military Aid - Request
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 10:48:39 PM »
This makes sense, actually.

And to be fair, its not unheard of, or even uncommon, for people to be drawn into a battle, seeing allied banners, before realizing they're fighting beside the semi-allied forces of a traitor.

Take it three Greek city-states are fighting off Persians, to be ridiculously basic and stereotypical. You may have Athens and Sparta fight each other for whatever bullshit reason, but if Persia shows up, you can be damn sure the Greeks will band together - albeit temporarily, to fight off their common enemy.

There are ways this can be achieved on a variety of levels simply using the permission/list function.

Hell, you can even have it have some complexity.

<Aid_Urist,Son of Armok> against <any/all> in <defensive&aggressive combat>

Where you, as a loyal Armokian, would flock to your King's banner in any manner deemed necessary by your King. Because fuckoff if it makes a lick of sense for 6 of my men to stand there and watch me get murdered just because their players haven't logged in yet. :|

or

<Aid_Urist,SonofArmok> against <any/not member of Children of Armok> in <defensive combat>

That way, if they attack your countrymen, you won't join, but if they're attacked by someone who doesn't belong to your realm, you'll jump in.
Mors Principium Est - Death is only the beginning

Foxglove

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 02:50:52 AM »
Also I think it should be something that can be done even while in battle.  The idea of military aid is to make sure we do not have to stay up all night monitoring things.  So if someone comes in an attacks my friend, I should be able to set my military aid to help him out once my battle is done.  Right now I would have to stay up until my battle is done before I can set it, and if I am engaged again it stops me from being able to set it.

One last item on military aid.  When you set military aid for multiple people, they all show up in the 'action que' as "military aid" it takes three clicks to figure out who you are aiding.  If I want to remove someone from that, I have to open them each up until I find which one to cancel.

These would be great additions, if they're not prohibitively difficult or time consuming to code. Military aid should allow you to make a list of characters at your leisure that you'd potentially want to aid, with tick boxes at the sides of the names so that aid to them can be enabled or disabled at will, without the time consuming need to retype the names of each character every time.

Military aid is about making sure that people can get on with life and not be glued to the game. These suggestions would certainly help with that.
Standing for the responsible use of power since Year 1, Week 1, Day 1.
Fun fact: I wrote some of the text for the M&F crowdfunding campaign.
Favourite warm beverage: hot chocolate.

Tom

• Head Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Might & Fealty
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 09:24:16 AM »
Lists would be a possibility, but I'm not sure if the lists system has a future. I get varied feedback on it, some people like it and some think it's too complicated.

The actions thing is true, I could improve the list display. I just don't have time for it right now.

Ehndras

• Urist Tarzath, Emperor of the Children of Armok
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 02:05:51 AM »
Yeah... The list thing is a colossal pain in the ass. But the general idea of permissions, that what we mean.
Mors Principium Est - Death is only the beginning